PDA

View Full Version : U.K. Peter Norton , George Gross , Iraq

bobdina
08-30-2009, 01:15 PM
The George Cross is awarded for the same level of bravery expected of a VC but is awarded when no enemy is present.

George Cross awarded to bomb disposal expert

An Army bomb disposal expert has been awarded the George Cross for his heroic actions in Iraq in 2005. Captain Peter Norton from the Royal Logistic Corps is only the twenty-second member of the Armed Forces to receive the award since 1945.
Capt and Mrs Norton

Captain Norton is one of 70 UK Servicemen and women to be honoured in the latest list for their role in operations around the world, including Iraq, Afghanistan, Northern Ireland, and the former Yugoslavia.

Captain Norton, an Ammunition Technical Officer, receives the George Cross for an act of 'the most conspicuous courage in circumstances of extreme danger in the Al Bayaa district of Baghdad. On 24 July 2005, he led a team from the Combined Explosives Exploitation Cell to the scene of a command initiated Improvised Explosive Device (IED) attack on a three-vehicle US patrol which had left four soldiers dead and several others wounded.

On arrival, he quickly took charge and ensured the safety of the coalition forces present. When he found out that a possible command wire had been spotted in the vicinity, Captain Norton instructed his team and US forces to stay with their vehicles and he went forward to check the area himself.

Following an explosion in which Captain Norton sustained very serious injuries to his legs, arms and lower abdomen, he remained lucid and most concerned about the safety of his team. He deduced that he had stepped on a victim operated IED and there were likely to be further devices present.

Before allowing his team to render first aid, he instructed them on which areas were safe and where they could move. The following day, a further device was found less than 10 metres away, which proved that Captain Norton's "prescience and clear orders in the most difficult circumstances undoubtedly prevented further serious injury or loss of life."

Captain Norton was present, along with members of his family, at the announcement of the 24 March 2006 Operational Honours list which took place at MOD headquarters in London. Also present was the oldest surving George Cross winner, 91 year-old Colonel Stuart Archer GC. Recalling very clearly the events of 24 July 2005 Captain Norton said:

"I remember everything about the incident, from stepping on the device to flying through the air and then calling for help. My immediate thought was 'Oh bugger'. After I hit the ground thoughts of my wife and kids immediately came into my mind.

"I have no regrets about joining the army. We do what we're told to do and I was just doing my job."

Despite the appalling injuries he suffered, Captain Norton hopes to remain in the Army:

"I hope to stay in the Army with the majority of my time from now on maybe in staff work, possibly even instructing."

He also described how important his wife has been in helping him to recover:

"My wife's been an absolute star," he said.

Captain Norton's Commanding Officer, Lieutenant Colonel Robert Seddon, added:

"Captain Norton is one of the best I have ever worked with