PDA

View Full Version : DARPA seeks new jamming technology

bobdina
08-27-2009, 09:56 AM
DARPA seeks new jamming technology

By Bruce Rolfsen - Staff writer
Posted : Wednesday Aug 26, 2009 17:44:04 EDT

A new weapons project seeks to make electronic warfare as precise as guided bombs.

The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) is looking for ways to provide “revolutionary advances” in electronic warfare.

The program’s goal is to develop a system of portable jamming devices that can be used on aircraft or on the ground to block radio frequencies — such as cell phone signals — in specific areas without knocking out reception in areas outside the target zone. The request envisions 40 or more jamming devices working together.

The Air Force and other services already use jammers to disrupt enemy communications or prevent cell phones from triggering roadside bombs. However, the jamming systems have the potential to block communications among friendly troops.

DARPA is accepting proposals through Oct. 13. The agency hopes to have a weapons system ready for military use in 2013.

http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2009/08/airforce_precision_jamming_082609w/

nastyleg
08-27-2009, 02:34 PM
AF needs to cool its jets on procurement right now. With the budget in massive question and the deficet at 10trillion dollars now is not the time to seek out stuff like that.....on the flip side how can one put a price tag on soldiers lives and saftey......but you just cant go out spending monies that you dont have.......but there are lives at stake and your telling me that you are willing to put them at risk.....No what I am trying to say is we need to advace what we already have instead of purchasing unproven technology that we might not need if we just take the time to expand on current systems.....well what if we cant expand the current systems and how can jyou justify unproven systems when the first jammers used by HMMV's were unproven just years before......luckily for us they worked but we did find more effective ones as we kept going along didnt we.....yes but......but nothing we at one point had 5 different sets of jammers in Iraq alone yet were was your objections to that procurement process....at the time we had the monies to fund the projects but we dont now

okay I will stop arguing with myself.

bobdina
08-27-2009, 03:26 PM
You makka me laff