PDA

View Full Version : Canadians troops in Haiti (hellhole trust me)

bobdina
08-24-2009, 10:42 PM
Haiti is politically, socially and economically unstable, and desperately poor. With some 27,750 square km of territory, about four fifths the size of Vancouver Island, it has a population of 8.8 million. Nearly 3 million of those people are packed into Port-au-Prince, the capital, which has about the same land area as the City of Victoria (population 79,000). Every square metre of land in the city is occupied or used in some way. Traffic is unbelievable, and Port-au-Prince probably has the worst drivers anywhere.

Since 2 October 2007, I have been the military assistant to the Military Chief of Staff — Colonel Normand Lalonde of Quebec City — at the headquarters of the Mission des Nations Unies pour la Stabilisation de Haiti (United Nations Stabilization Mission in Haiti), or MINUSTAH. Two more Canadian staff officers bring the total strength of Task Force Port-au-Prince to four: not the CF’s smallest operation, but close.

All four of us work in the Military Headquarters, one of many integral but autonomous components of MINUSTAH under the leadership of Hédi Annabi of Tunisia, the Special Representative to the Secretary-General of the United Nations and Head of Mission. Despite its French name, MINUSTAH officially operates in English; 95% of its staff are not native English-speakers, however, so the potential for confusion and misunderstanding abounds. A quote from Confucius comes to mind: “If language is not correct, then what is said is not what is meant, and what must be done remains undone …”

Much of our time is spent co-ordinating the lives, logistics and operations of 7,200 soldiers from 17 nations with the activities of the U.N. police mission (which includes 90 Canadians) and many U.N. civilian branches and agencies. Toss in non-governmental organizations, the Government of Haiti, input from U.N. headquarters in New York and the troop-contributing nations, plus a dash of international news media (some friendly, some not) and you have a complex machine that will break at the most inopportune time if it is not cared for constantly.

The four of us live at Canada House, doing our own cooking and cleaning. Daily from Monday to Saturday we’re up at 0515 and out the door by 0630, and we do the usual routine staff work (and plenty of it) of any military HQ from about 0700 until about 1830. On the way home — through traffic jams that even Montrealers and Torontonians would gulp at — we stop to buy groceries for the next day or two. It’s 2030 or 2100 by the time we finish dinner, and by 2200 we are in bed. Sunday we spend at home if nothing requiring our attention pops up.

Do we make a difference? Yes, but slowly: it’s a very big job. Between the gangsters, diseases and social disorganization, Haiti is one of the world’s most dangerous places to live and work. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

This nation has never been wealthy, but it has great pride in its history and independence. Since the Duvalier years, Haiti has struggled with political unrest, economic weakness and social turmoil. MINUSTAH is the world’s effort to coach Haiti back onto the path of national stability and heading toward peace and prosperity. MINUSTAH will not be an overnight success, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. Despite its issues, this country has tremendous potential for success.

I know it’s a cliché, but I am privileged to be a tiny part of the success of this U.N. mission. I hope some day to see Haiti become the peaceful and prosperous nation it has every right to be.

http://www.comfec-cefcom.forces.gc.ca/pa-ap/fs-ev/2008/02/05-eng.asp

GTFPDQ
08-24-2009, 10:49 PM
Good job Canada.

Cruelbreed
08-24-2009, 10:57 PM
I had no idea troops were even in Haiti, although I knew elite special operations groups from Canada were training jamaican special forces in jamaica.

bobdina
08-24-2009, 11:15 PM
The U.N. still has troops there , it is a place you never want to go to.

ghost
08-24-2009, 11:54 PM
Damn. I wasn't even aware of this. I remember that the Marines were there some time ago, but I didn't think this stuff was still going on. I thought that it was just an individual incident.

bobdina
08-25-2009, 12:13 AM
The U.S. Army went in in 1994. It started out as an Invasion (Restore Democracy)but the assault wave of Paratroopers was called off after Haitian officials agreed to a peaceful transition of government and permissive entry of American forces. This then changed the name to Operation Uphold Democracy . On 29 February 2004 President Bush ordered US Marines into Haiti as part of an international stabilization force following the departure of President Jean-Bertrand Aristide this was called Operation Secure Tomorrow . Operation New Horizons 2005 in Haiti had all branches of the Military there to try and rebuild the country.

Cruelbreed
08-25-2009, 12:23 AM
Had no idea the army was going to invade in 1994.

nastyleg
08-25-2009, 03:44 AM
Place looks grimey

usmc5
08-25-2009, 09:28 AM
The U.N. still has troops there , it is a place you never want to go to.

Unless you have already been there for Humanitarian Aid like I was bvack in 29 February 2004. I was in this same area, we had the Port, Presidential Palace and Cigarette Factory too. The Marines were there back in 1914-1925 and the unit that went was the same unit I was in. This place is nasty. Roads were block due to te piles and piles of trash. We burned the trash piles while we were there.

I will post some pictures that I took and post them to my Photo Album on my profile. That way you wont have to go there to see how bad it truely was. Sorry in advance about the quality of the pictues. They were taken via disposable camera.

usmc5
08-25-2009, 09:29 AM
Place looks grimey

Trust me is no Cancun.

bobdina
08-25-2009, 09:38 AM
I was there in the late 90's real Helly, Stink hole. Port Au Prince. Thats cool you were in the same unit as the 1912 expedition. Gotta love that Corps tradition

nastyleg
08-25-2009, 07:26 PM
never been to cancun never want to go......no desire to get shot by cartels.

usmc5
08-25-2009, 10:54 PM
never been to cancun never want to go......no desire to get shot by cartels.

Neither have I. Im just going by what I've seen on MTV and on Girls Gone Wild :eusa_dance:

nastyleg
08-26-2009, 02:09 AM
Neither have I. Im just going by what I've seen on MTV and on Girls Gone Wild :eusa_dance:

lol

usmc5
08-27-2009, 09:07 PM
I just posted some of my pictures from Haiti.

Toki
08-27-2009, 10:22 PM
I've read several books (fictional of course) about Haiti being the hub of the zombie virus. I don't want to take any chances so I, for one, would like to go with Operation Napalm Haiti. Better safe than sorry.

fotoman
08-28-2009, 12:35 PM
Don't go to Mexico...never go to a country where justice is a game....it's dangerous there...I live only a few hours away....and since the early 80s....I haven't gone there....don't want to...besides...they are all coming up here.....my hood is just like Mexico now.....