PDA

View Full Version : Russia May Review Air Defense Sale to Iran

bobdina
08-19-2009, 03:25 PM
Russia May Review Air Defense Sale to Iran: Israel
AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE
Published: 19 Aug 2009 05:19
Print Print | Print Email

MOSCOW - President Dmitry Medvedev has promised to review Russia's planned sale of its sophisticated S-300 air defense system to Iran, Israeli President Shimon Peres said Aug. 19, news agencies reported.

"President Medvedev promised to review this issue once again after I explained that it would have an impact on the balance of force in our region," Peres said a day after he held talks with the Russian leader.

The contract for the S-300 anti-aircraft missile systems is reported to have been signed back in 2005 but has proved hugely controversial as the weapons would significantly upgrade Iranian air defense capabilities.

Amid repeated U.S. objections over the contract, Russian officials have emphasized over the last months that none of the S-300 systems have been delivered to Tehran.

http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=4241551&c=EUR&s=AIR

Yono
08-19-2009, 06:36 PM
Hmmm, Israelie pilot's are no doubt the best pilots in the middle east if not the world....but even the best pilots will not always be able to dodge such sophisticated AA systems.

If Iran gets those missles, it will cause some trouble in the Middle East.

bobdina
08-19-2009, 08:44 PM
It's not like Israel did not sell UAV's to Moscow because there's failed miserably. I think that's what Israel is saying here we did you a favor now pay us back.

Reactor-Axe-Man
08-19-2009, 11:03 PM
Ask Syria about the effectiveness of their Russian made Integrated Air Defense System.

The Iranians better hope they aren't buying the same gear. Myself on the other hand, hope that they did...

Cruelbreed
08-20-2009, 12:09 AM
lol sell them garbage as reactor man hopes :D

Yono
08-20-2009, 04:15 AM
But what Syria had when we took there reactor out wasn't the S-300. This can track 100 moving targets and take out 12 at one time, the missles reach the range of 27,000 kilometers or miles (Forgot which) but anyways, crazy hightes.

Although Israel is threatning to build an electronic warfare device which can take out the air-defence system, that would really worry Russia since it would rend there Air Defence useless.

Reactor-Axe-Man
08-20-2009, 10:55 PM
Yono, Israel already created an EW system/tactics that can render Russian export IADS useless. Syria found that out the hard way when the IDF bombed a reactor facility in 2007. The S-300 might be a great missile system, but if you can't find or track anything with it, it's just a very expensive toy.

dmaxx3500
08-20-2009, 10:57 PM
the iranians still have to run these systems,,but the israelis prob should strike sooner then later

Yono
08-21-2009, 05:21 AM
We will have to wait and see....but my guess is that we won't strike first unless Iran does somthing that will be seen as a threat.