PDA

View Full Version : Sunday afternoon, by the pool.

GTFPDQ
08-16-2009, 04:34 PM
I joined my wife outside today. Ir was glorious, another sunny warm day beside the pool. Had a quick look over the roses to make sure they were in good shape. Ran around with the dog until he wore me out and him for that matter.

Overhead a few aircraft pass, either to Pierre Trudeau International or to the local small St Hubert airport. Mind wandered off, wondering where these fliers had been and did they have a good time.

I even went on to Facebook to play some stupid games I like. Checked any messages. Nothing going on, my peeps must be out in the sun like me.

Time for another coffee and get the wife a soft drink. Grabbed an apple and shared it with the dog, Im his best friend again until some one else gives him something to eat. Thats the way it goes.

Im thinking, I should get into the pool and enjoy the day. But I have to finish my little routine on the laptop, go check the news.

41 women and children killed in a tent fire in Abu Dhabi, thats sad. They say it only took 3 minutes.... only took 3 minutes. Its an eternity.

Then my gaze was caught by the headline "Three UK soldiers die in Helmand". At first I thought it was an old report, but reading on it said the death toll for Uk Mil was 204. Surely that cant be right, it was 199.

A soldier dies from wounds after being sent back to the UK. A soldier dies from an explosion,. 3 soldiers killed in ied explosion.

Two Hundred and Four.

Sunday doesnt feel so glorious anymore. More families in grief, more kids wondering where daddy has gone. More wives left to pick up the pieces.

Those of us who have or are serving, I hope feel the sting of loss each time we see one of these headlines. I hope we understand the consequences of such a loss on families. I hope we try to understand how the loss of these men affects their brothers in arms.

To those who want to join or in the process, try to understand what is happening. How it affects people and how it will affect you. Dont be Gung Ho, be prepared, accept the training and be resolute in your work. Best of luck to you.

For those who talk of "Us" and "We" and "I" but have never spent a moment of time in the military, think about it. You are not, nor will you ever be an "Us", "We" or "I".

Most importantly, you will never be a headline telling us of the death of another Warrior, Soldier, Sailor, Marine, Airman, brother/sister.

Sundays or any day of the week we lose one of out finest, should always have a moment in it, when we tell ourselves that the world has lost something special. We have each lost something.

Have a nice Sunday.

bobdina
08-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Every time I read a story of a soldier making the ultimate sacrifice or being severely wounded a little water creeps out of the side of my eye. But according to the media and most people sports stars or entertainers are hero's. That makes me sick. I have to go to the V.A. Hospital twice a month for treatment and every time I see these men and women I get filled with emotions , one being some of these kids are too young to be maimed for life (but they still smile and ask me how I'm doing) the other a great pride knowing there are still men and women willing to put it all on the line. I am very glad my 2 children sometimes go with me so they see this first hand. The proudest I have ever been of my daughters is when they told me these guy's are the real hero's and My oldest volunteered to help at the hospital. I am sorry if I hijacked your post but I have very strong feelings on this, Bob

GTFPDQ
08-16-2009, 05:54 PM
Bob, it was just me sharing my thoughts about sad news. You shared your thoughts about sad news also. Your kids are an inspiration for other kids.

Maybe this should be a thoughts shared thread, where we can put down our feeling about the news or things we have done.

No hijacking here, Bob, just thinking out loud.

Cruelbreed
08-16-2009, 08:19 PM
Had similar thoughts in my mind when I saw this in the morning on fox news. 204 British soldiers lost in afghanistan, I believe there are 9000. When you hear 204 it really gives that one life is too many. I am grateful to these guys for putting their lives on the line, at the same time you cannot hold back how sad it really is.