PDA

View Full Version : U.K. Jone Toge , Conspicuous Gallantry Cross ,Afghanistan

bobdina
08-14-2009, 08:21 AM
The Conspicuous Gallantry Cross (CGC) is a second level military decoration of the United Kingdom armed forces.

The CGC was instituted in the aftermath of the 1993 review of the honours system. As part of the drive to remove distinctions of rank in awards for bravery, the CGC replaced both the Distinguished Conduct Medal (Army) and the Conspicuous Gallantry Medal (Air and Naval) as second level awards to Other Ranks and ratings. The CGC also replaced the Distinguished Service Order, in its role as an award to officers for gallantry (although the DSO was retained as an award for outstanding leadership). The CGC now serves as the second level award for gallantry for all ranks across the whole armed forces.

After his commander was incapacitated Toge took command of the Operational Mentoring Liaison Team which was supporting the Afghan National Army to the south of Musa QaIeh. He gallantly led his men and personally extracted four injured soldiers from a killing area as well as the lead Afghan National Army sergeant following a RPG (rocket-propelled grenade) strike.

bobdina
08-14-2009, 08:21 AM
LANCE Corporal Jone Toge from the Royal Irish Regiment has been awarded the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross — one level down from the Victoria Cross.

L/Cpl Toge and two other NCOs from the regiment collected bravery gongs from the Queen yesterday.

The 28-year-old took command of his mentoring team after his commander took ill and rescued four Afghan Army soldiers under enemy fire after their armoured vehicle was hit by rocket propelled grenade fire.

His father Jone Toge said his namesake did not mention the incident to the family while on holiday in Fiji last Christmas.

"We didn't know anything about it until one of his younger brother, who is also in the British Army, told us that he was going to be awarded a medal," Mr Toge senior said.

"He came in last week to take his wife over to witness the ceremony and I asked why he didn't tell us.

"He said he was going to tell us once he had received the medal."

Toga's wife is due to give birth in July coinciding with her husband's arrival for a holiday and his father said it would be a double celebration for the family.

Mr Toge has four sons in the British Army.

"What he went through was certain death. We're always thankful in our prayers."

Comrades Corporal Robert McClurg, 23, was awarded his CGC for his "calm and selfless leadership style".

And acting Sergeant Alwyn Stevens, 30, who displayed "extraordinary courage" while working with an Afghan National Army platoon.

The regiment and the Afghan soldiers were approaching a village when they came under fire and were ordered by SAS soldiers operating in the area to take and hold a piece of high ground overlooking the village.

But as they advanced the Taliban struck and the Afghans were wounded.

"They were lying out there screaming. The vehicle had been hit by three or four RPGs and a hail of automatic fire. We were out in the open with no cover and I told the ANA to keep on fighting," L/Cpl Toge said.

"At first I was stunned by the explosions, but I called the Afghan medic and we crawled out to the wounded guys.

"I got three of them back into some sort of cover and he got the other one.

"Then I called up another armoured vehicle and we managed to heave the wounded into that and when they were taken away we moved forward and took the high ground.

"From there we could see that the enemy were in a big trench just outside the village so we just poured fire on to them."

Brigadier James Chiswell MC, commander of 16 Air Assault Brigade, said: "The award of three CGCs to a battalion is unprecedented.

"They reflect exceptional acts of individual heroism in Helmand last summer."

ghost
08-14-2009, 11:18 AM
Excellent job.

Bob, I know I may not get a chance to read or post on all of these, but I'm glad you're posting these. This kind of stuff needs to be read.

nastyleg
08-18-2009, 02:57 AM
Goddamn