PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Scott Montoya, Navy Cross, Iraq

bobdina
08-13-2009, 10:56 AM
Navy Cross

Authorized February 4, 1919, the Navy Cross was the Navy's third highest award for combat heroism and other distinguished services. On August 7, 1942, Congress made the Navy Cross a combat only decoration with precedence over the Distinguished Service Medal, making it the Navy's second highest award ranking below only the Medal of Honor. It shares its position with the Army's Distinguished Service Cross and the Air Force Cross

Scott Montoya

* Home of record: Montclair, Calif.

Scott Montoya grew up in a family of five, raised by his single mother. He worked in the Corrections Facilities of the Orange County Sheriff's Department when he joined the Marine Corps, where he trained as a Scout Sniper. After 8 years of active duty, he re-enlisted, despite the fact he had fulfilled his obligation and could have returned to civilian life and avoided combat duty in Iraq. A Marine Corps Reservist, he has subsequently returned to work as an Orange County Sheriff's Deputy.

Awards and Citations

Navy Cross

Awarded for actions during the Global War on Terror

The President of the United States of America takes pleasure in presenting the Navy Cross to Sergeant Scott C. Montoya, United States Marine Corps (Reserve), for extraordinary heroism while serving as a Scout Sniper, Scout Sniper Platoon, Second Battalion, Twenty-Third Marines, FIRST Marine Division, First Marine Expeditionary Force, in Support of Operation IRAQI FREEDOM on 8 April 2003. During the battle for Baghdad, Sergeant Montoya's sniper team arrived within Company F's position as they came under heavy small arms fire from a determined enemy force. He immediately encouraged Marines to deploy and return fire. Noticing a disabled civilian vehicle on the road in the line of fire and with complete disregard for his own life, he rushed forward amidst a hail of gunfire and dragged a wounded Iraqi civilian to safety. Returning to the front, he spotted a wounded Marine struggling to get off the same fire swept street, he risked his life to lead the Marine to safety. Returning to the front, he spotted a wounded Marine lying in the street. Ignoring the hailstorm of bullets, Sergeant Montoya rushed into the street for a third time to carry the injured Marine to safety. Sergeant Montoya returned a fourth time to evacuate an unconscious Marine. Returning to the front again, he dashed into the contested street and assisted a Marine to safety who had been dazed by an explosion. Sergeant Montoya ensured medical attention was administered and verified that evacuations were ongoing. By his outstanding display of decisive leadership, unlimited courage in the face of heavy enemy fire, and utmost devotion to duty, Sergeant Montoya reflected great credit upon himself and upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service.

Service: Marine Corps Reserve

bobdina
08-13-2009, 10:57 AM
Small-arms fire rained down on the men of Company F, 2nd Battalion, 23rd Marines. Both Iraqi civilians and Marines were injured. Pinned down, with the injured needing assistance, Sgt. Scott C. Montoya rushed through enemy fire while "repeatedly exposing himself to fire-swept streets," according to his Navy Cross award citation.

Montoya received the U.S. military's second-highest award at Camp Pendleton for heroism stemming from his actions on April 8, 2003, two weeks into Operation Iraqi Freedom.

With his firearm in one hand engaging the enemy and a badly bleeding Marine in the other, he fought their way 500 yards to safety. He returned to the cross-fire again and dragged another - who'd been dazed by the concussion of a grenade blast - to a casualty collection point. In all, he rescued four injured Marines and one Iraqi civilian out of harm's way, according to his citation.

Montoya's "extraordinary heroism" arose out of the battle for Baghdad.

Montoya described it this way:

"I saw a hurt Marine and all my training came into play. It wasn't a cognitive thing; I just saw the situation and cared for my Marines."

Sgt. Jose N. Sanchez, a supply clerk with 2/23, has known Montoya for six years and wasn't surprised when he heard the news.

"The level he went - it's above and beyond the call of anyone, even a Marine," Sanchez said, adding: "What matters to him are his Marines, not the awards or the actions he took."

Montoya received the award in front of family, friends and the men of his unit. Orange County Sheriff Michael S. Carona was also present.

A deputy sheriff in Orange County, Montoya drew praise from many of his co-workers - including Carona.
"He is a complete warrior," Carona said.

"Whether as a Marine or as a law enforcement figure, he is always putting the community or the country above his own personal safety."

Carona alluded to Montoya's rapid response under fire.

"These things happen in the blink of a second, and an individual has to decide to be a hero or not. He decided to be one."

In the end, Montoya said, β€œIt's just a medal.”

"Service before self is something I teach in the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program," continued Montoya, a MCMAP instructor for his unit. "I feel the award represents the character of the Corps."

Col. Geffery L. Cooper, the battalion's commanding officer during Operation Iraqi Freedom, said Montoya's award was well-deserved.

"It means a great deal to me that the Corps can recognize such Marines of valor in combat,” said Cooper. (Montoya) is a man of integrity and leadership, and his loyalty is unquestionable. He is a great example and advocate for all reservists.”

Cruelbreed
08-13-2009, 12:14 PM
Really tough guy, and very nice to see the guys with Latin American descent being courageous. Saved 4 people under enemy fire, that really is something.

nastyleg
08-13-2009, 08:23 PM
very brave

ghost
08-13-2009, 09:21 PM
Congrats. Outstanding work.

By the way(off topic), in that photo he is holding an M24. I thought Marines' only used the M40 as their bolt-gun. Or do some of them use the M24, since it can be chambered to fire 3 different rounds?