PDA

View Full Version : Russia To Counter Space-Based Missile Systems

bobdina
08-12-2009, 11:45 AM
Russia To Counter Space-Based Missile Systems
AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE
Published: 11 Aug 2009 06:53

MOSCOW - Russia is developing missiles to counter space-based missile systems that could soon be deployed by the United States, Russia's air force commander was quoted as saying Aug. 11.

"We are building new missiles that will be capable of defending not only against air-defense systems but space-based systems," Gen. Alexander Zelin said, quoted by Russian news agencies.

The United States and other countries will have deployed such satellite-based missile systems capable of striking any target in Russia by 2030, he said.

"Foreign air forces, above of all the United States, will acquire the capability to deal time-synchronized precision strikes on a global scale at virtually any target on Russia territory," Zelin said.

The threat "is not virtual, but real," he added.

To counter such potential, Russia has begun work on the S-500 surface-to-air missile system that would have ballistic missile tracking capabilities and aim at a range of up to 3,500 kilometers (2,175 miles), according to defense reports.

"The S-500 system is capable of defeating all manner of ballistic missiles and supersonic air devices," Zelin said.

Moscow vehemently opposes U.S. plans to site a missile defense shield in Eastern Europe and has reacted warily to plans under the previous U.S. administration it claimed had accelerated the militarization of outer space.

Washington insists its shield plan is not directed against Russia but threats from "rogue states" such as Iran.

Last year, when the U.S. military was planning to shoot down a rogue U.S. spy satellite, Russia's defense ministry said the plans looked like a veiled weapons test and an "attempt to move the arms race into space."

Both Russia and China have proposed a new treaty banning the use of weapons in space, but the idea was rejected by the White House.

http://www.apacheclips.com/boards/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=121

ghost
08-12-2009, 12:25 PM
We have satellite-based missile systems? Since when? I had no idea. Or are they just referring to MIRVs, after they're launched?

Satellite- based missile systems, as in we can fire ballistic missiles from satellite platforms in space?

Cruelbreed
08-12-2009, 01:33 PM
I think they're speculating, but I find it very interesting that two nations trying very hard to counter the united states choose to make space based missile systems ILLEGAL just because they can not compete in the area or are behind. It's probably similar to the nuclear missile deal with Russia, limit the United States as much as possible so that you can play catch up.

ghost
08-12-2009, 02:19 PM
Ah, okay. So it's just a bunch of shit slinging.

Cruelbreed
08-12-2009, 03:11 PM
Ah, okay. So it's just a bunch of shit slinging.

Who knows, it probably is in the workings, other nations are privy to what the U.S. is capable of developing.

ghost
08-12-2009, 03:24 PM
Who knows, it probably is in the workings, other nations are privy to what the U.S. is capable of developing.

Well, I have no doubt that it could possibly be in the works. But, when I said "shit slinging", I was referring to the political side.

Reactor-Axe-Man
08-12-2009, 11:29 PM
When they can get the Bulava to work, I'll show the appropriate level of concern.

ghost
08-12-2009, 11:36 PM
When they can get the Bulava to work, I'll show the appropriate level of concern.

Hehe. Good one.