PDA

View Full Version : Guy on right also a marine?

Cruelbreed
08-08-2009, 02:02 PM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00594/JH_fox_5_594006a.jpg

Out of curiosity it was out of the times gallery with caption

Jack Hill in Afghanistan
A Marine leaps an irrigation canal while on patrol. The area is a maze of canals built mainly by the US in the 1950s as part of the Helmand River Project
Jack Hill/The Times

Guy on the right also a marine? Different helmet and some cloth around his neck.

ghost
08-09-2009, 01:59 AM
Hmm. I want to say yes, but I'm not entirely sure. He's got a USMC vest with ACU pouches on it...

Maybe he's ANA attached to the unit, as a linguist. Not sure.

I lurk around on the militaryphotos forums, every now and then. I'm sure they'll know.

Cruelbreed
08-10-2009, 04:16 PM
Perhaps MARSOC then. You're pretty good with the gear ghost, I certainly am not I just notice discrepancies.

Toki
08-10-2009, 04:25 PM
That is a tac helmet so it can't be ANA. I see those helmets all the time on SF videos.

scoutsout80
08-10-2009, 04:29 PM
No ammo pouches that I see, I vote for interpreter

Cruelbreed
08-10-2009, 04:36 PM
Is that the kind of weapon that an interpreter would carry? ACOG, nade launcher? His attire , unless he's holding the marine crossing the canals weapon.

Cruelbreed
08-10-2009, 04:41 PM
What's he wearing around his neck, seems like something used to blend more with the culture of local populace.

scoutsout80
08-10-2009, 04:43 PM
Is that the kind of weapon that an interpreter would carry? ACOG, nade launcher? His attire , unless he's holding the marine crossing the canals weapon.

He may be holding the marines' weapon who is about to faceplant in the canal.

Cruelbreed
08-10-2009, 04:45 PM

lol that made me laugh, nice one. We need some more after shots of this lol

bobdina
08-10-2009, 05:37 PM

I did not catch that till reading your comment and looking at the pic again.

dj1023
08-11-2009, 11:36 PM
x2 on terp. They use the same uniforms and kit's (Interceptor MTBAS "body armor") as whom there with most of the time excluding when with SOG's(RBAV). Looks like the marine's weapon on the left as well that he is holding, dont see one slung around the rere on the left or one in his hands that are about to try and save him front face planting into poo water. Also he's just wearing a standardized unpainted mich helment with no cover on it. Look's the same as the turtle shell's basic trainee's wear. Most SOG unit's wear the same mich helment, Just painted tan or scaled, with different nods and mount's than with the pvs14's. The terp doesnt even have a nod mount that you can obviously tell from the side shot. And the wrap around his neck is just a Keffiyeh or "Shemagh" It's just worn to protect the back of your neck from getting baked and you can wrap it around your face when the dust picks.

Cruelbreed
08-12-2009, 09:41 AM
x2 on terp. They use the same uniforms and kit's (Interceptor MTBAS "body armor") as whom there with most of the time excluding when with SOG's(RBAV). Looks like the marine's weapon on the left as well that he is holding, dont see one slung around the rere on the left or one in his hands that are about to try and save him front face planting into poo water. Also he's just wearing a standardized unpainted mich helment with no cover on it. Look's the same as the turtle shell's basic trainee's wear. Most SOG unit's wear the same mich helment, Just painted tan or scaled, with different nods and mount's than with the pvs14's. The terp doesnt even have a nod mount that you can obviously tell from the side shot. And the wrap around his neck is just a Keffiyeh or "Shemagh" It's just worn to protect the back of your neck from getting baked and you can wrap it around your face when the dust picks.

thanks for the explanation. :D

Markoxx
08-12-2009, 03:28 PM
damn that hurts. i wanna ask that soldier how did he feel after the fall.