PDA

View Full Version : U.S. William Tomlin , Silver Star , Afghanistan

bobdina
08-05-2009, 06:51 PM
The Silver Star is the third highest U.S. combat-only award. Established in 1918 as the Citation Star, in 1932 a provision allowed servicemen to receive it retroactively. It has been awarded for actions as far back as the Spanish-American War

William Tomlin , III

* Home of record: Angier, N.C.

Awards and Citations

Silver Star

Awarded for actions during the Global War on Terror

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress July 9, 1918 (amended by an act of July 25, 1963), takes pleasure in presenting the Silver Star to Sergeant First Class William Charles Tomlin, III, United States Army, for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action against the enemy while serving with Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 1st Battalion, 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 82d Airborne Division, during combat operations in support of Operation ENDURING Freedom, on 9 April 2007, in Afghanistan. On that date, Sergeant First Class Tomlin distinguishing himself through acts of gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life in action against an enemy force which outnumbered his own by six-to-one. Near the town of Chakak, Helmand, Afghanistan, Sergeant First Class Tomlin was acting as the Scout Platoon Leader on the seventh day of intense independent combat operations during Operation FURIOUS PURSUIT, when the scout platoon encountered an enemy force who quickly attempted envelope them by maneuver and combined arms operations, including mortars, accurate RPG fire, heavy weapons and AK-47s in a pitched battle that lasted six hours. During the engagement, Sergeant First Class Tomlin personally led several dismounted counterattacks against enemy forces that had closed to within 30 meters of his position. He simultaneously coordinated the effects of heavy mortars within 50 meters of his position, heavy weapons, and CAS within 150 meters of friendly troops. By using expert call for fire techniques, hand grenades and his own personal weapon, he was able to not only defend his position, but later organize the reinforcements of four separate units to destroy between 30 - 50 soldiers and kill two key Taliban leaders in the Sangin area. Sergeant First Class Tomlin's personal example and bravery under fire was the key component to turning a dire situation into a complete victory for the task force on this day. His exceptional bravery, example to his soldiers in the face of a dedicated Taliban force, and personal leadership has set the example for the 82d Airborne Division, and is in keeping with the highest tradition of military service.

Service: Army

Presented at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, by President George W. Bush, on May 22, 2008

bobdina
08-05-2009, 06:51 PM
After two full days of fierce fighting in the Helmand Province of Afghanistan, approximately 300 enemy fighters began closing in on SFC William Tomlin III and his scout platoon of 45 soldiers. They were part of the U.S. Army’s Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 1st Battalion, 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team.

It was April 9, 2007, about 9:30 a.m., with the temperature already near a scorching 120 degrees. Tomlin, as the scout platoon leader, was maneuvering his platoon near Chakak, Afghanistan to extend the battalion’s security zone when he heard the sharp crack of incoming hostile fire from enemy fighters. Immediately, he sprang into action and instinctively ordered a small team of snipers to scout for the incoming enemy, but soon enemy gun fire and rocket propelled grenades rained down on the team halting their efforts.

Tomlin immediately rose to the occasion to lead a dismounted counter-attack against the enemy forces which had closed to within 15 meters of the platoon’s location.

“I grabbed three or four guys with me, and we moved into a position where we could suppress the bad guys,” said Tomlin.

During a non-stop six hour battle, Tomlin had one goal in mind – keep his fellow soldiers safe while not being overrun by enemy forces that had his platoon outnumbered six to one. He surged ahead of friendly forces to single-handedly employ multiple weapon systems including fragmentary hand grenades, AT-4s and his M4. Simultaneously, he directed the fires of platoon-organic heavy weapon systems.

By the third assault, Tomlin was suffering from severe dehydration and was near exhaustion, according to his award citation. But, he was able to work hand-in-hand with his Joint Tactical Air Controller, directing the devastating effects of close air support to within 100 meters of his platoon. Additionally, he organized reinforcements from four separate units into a cohesive element that ably completed the enemy’s destruction. These efforts helped lead his scout platoon to victory without a single American loss.

Tomlin’s leadership, personal courage, and selfless dedication in the presence of a determined, numerically superior enemy force were the difference between victory and defeat on this day. For his valorous actions, he was awarded the Silver Star.

nastyleg
08-05-2009, 09:08 PM
That my friends is an NCO

bobdina
08-05-2009, 10:46 PM
Some good leaders coming from these wars, my only hope is they stay in long enough to pass this knowledge down to the new men and women .And when the junior officers make rank they take what they have learned and apply it correctly.

nastyleg
08-06-2009, 05:13 AM
That is what I fear. Some of these NCO's being rung ragged by the current deployment cycles just want out. E-5's have the highest rate of soldiers getting out. I have seen good NCO's leave due to the fact that it was tearing them appart at the seams and the stress of poor quality of troops coming through basic only made matters worse. I am dealt with one soldier who had NO business being in. I have never said that about anyone until I met him. This SPC is a dirtbag.