Cruelbreed
08-05-2009, 03:06 PM
Four dead, including gunman, in gym shooting

Story Highlights
NEW: Police recover six handguns in Pittsburgh-area shooting, source says
Source: Gunman in note "talks about his hatred of women"
Gunman identified as George Sodini, 48, a gym member
Shooting at LA Fitness leaves three women and shooter dead, police say
(CNN) -- A gunman walked into an LA Fitness gym outside Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, turned off the lights and fired off 50 rounds, killing three women before killing himself Tuesday evening, police said.

The man didn't speak but was carrying a gym bag with a note inside it. He was found dead in the gym lying on top a gun about 7 feet away from a victim, said Charles Moffatt, Allegheny County police superintendent.

At least 10 other people were injured in the barrage of bullets that sent people in the gym ducking for cover, Moffatt said.

A law enforcement source identified the gunman as George Sodini, a 48-year-old gym member.

Moffatt would not release the name of the victims during a Wednesday news conference.

Sodini was a systems analyst in the finance department of K&L Gates, a law firm with an office in Pittsburgh, said Mike Rick, a spokesman for the firm. Sodini had worked for the firm since 1999, Rick said.

Neighbors described Sodini as a bit of a recluse. They said he had stopped talking to neighbors.

The gunman apparently was on a mission, Moffatt said.

"He did what he set out to do, and I think nobody could have stopped him, " he said. Watch whom the shooter may have been targeting ยป

Moffatt would not confirm a newspaper report that Sodini's ex-girlfriend was wounded in the shooting.

He also did not say what was written on the note that was found in Sodini's gym bag. But the law enforcement source said that the gunman in the note "talks about his hatred of women."

Sodini entered the fitness center around 8 p.m. Tuesday and went straight to an aerobics classroom, where he opened fire with multiple handguns, Moffatt said.

Police have recovered six handguns, the source said. Four of them were purchased before 2000, and the other two were bought last year.

The shooting victims arrived at three major hospitals in the area.

A spokeswoman for UPMC Mercy Hospital confirmed five female shooting victims arrived at the facility with multiple gunshot wounds. "All arrived in critical condition," hospital spokeswoman Linda Ross said. "Three of them were upgraded to serious condition overnight."

Allegheny General Hospital received two wounded patients at its trauma center, a spokesman said. Both victims are women and were listed in fair condition early Wednesday.

A St. Clair Hospital spokesman said three shooting victims arrived there Tuesday night; two were in stable condition and one, who was shot in the chest, died at about 8:55 p.m.

Perry Calabro of nearby Bridgeville told CNN he was between racquetball games at the gym when he suddenly heard screaming and multiple gunshots. He said he ran out but didn't see the gunman or others.

Other witnesses told CNN affiliate WTAE-TV in Pittsburgh that the lights went out before they saw flashes in dark, later realizing it was gunfire.

Sodini apparently left behind an online diary that details his loneliness and longing for a female companion -- and his growing rage at what he perceived as rejection by women. The diary lists Sodini's dates of birth and death, with the death date listed as Tuesday, the same day as the shootings.

The source who identified Sodini provided a month and year of birth that matches the birth date listed on Sodini's diary.

The diary seems to offer a rare glimpse into the mind of the suspected killer.

"Why do this?? To young girls? Just read below. I kept a running log that includes my thoughts and actions after I saw this project was going to drag on," the diary begins.

Throughout the log, the writer refers to a shooting that he is planning as an "exit plan."

The first entry is November 5, 2008. "Planned to do this in the summer but figure to stick around to see the election outcome," it says.

The December 22 entry says: "Time is moving along. Planned to have this done already. I will just keep a running log here as time passes. Many of the young girls here look so beautiful as to not be human, very edible. After joining this gym, started lifting weights and like it."

The Web site on which the diary appears is registered to George Sodini of Pittsburgh. It lists an address in or near Scott Township. The law enforcement source said Sodini lived in Scott Township.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/08/05/pennsylvania.gym.shooting/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

dajini
08-06-2009, 01:58 AM
Fucking coward... you never see people like him trying a mass shooting at a police station or a gun range, and of course he didn't try this anywhere other than an aerobics class full of women.

nastyleg
08-06-2009, 05:23 AM
Well he is dead and unfortunatly instead of just offing himslef he decided that women needed to go with him. I agree fucking coward.

Scott
08-06-2009, 07:43 AM
what a fucking coward indeed, people like these make me very sick, killing innocent people that have nothing to defend themselves for, if any coward in thsi situation stays alive they should be tortured for the rest of their lives for what they have done.