PDA

View Full Version : U.K. The Mercian Regiment, Afghanistan

bobdina
08-04-2009, 09:24 PM
Numerous Medals from 1 Firefight

Sergeant Craig Brelsford was taking part in a night-time mission dubbed "Operation Certain Death" behind enemy lines, trying to destroy vantage points near the Taliban stronghold of Garmsir in Helmand Province.

As he and his comrades crept across the landscape of bombed-out buildings and drainage ditches under cover of darkness, the enemy opened fire, immediately felling four of a section of seven soldiers.

The battle that ensued on September 8, 2007 lasted several hours, left two dead and saw three others badly injured.

It became one of the most-documented examples of the bravery of British troops and resulted in clutch of gallantry awards for the regiment, including three MCs, a Conspicuous Gallantry Cross and five Mentions in Dispatches.

One of those killed was Private Johan Botha, 25, from South Africa. According to reports shortly after the incident, Taliban fighters tried to grab his body as a trophy, but the men from A Company the 2nd Battalion, The Mercian Regiment, fought to stop them from as little as 15 yards away.

Sgt Brelsford, 25, from Nottingham, led a team of the men who nicknamed themselves the Spartans back into a stream of bullets and rocket-propelled grenades in a bid to retrieve Pte Botha's body.

He was killed within minutes, leaving his mother to collect his posthumous MC award for bravery.

Another soldier to receive the MC was Private Luke Cole, 22, who despite suffering serious thigh and stomach injuries, managed to drag himself to a colleague to provide life-saving first aid. He then picked up a rifle to lay down suppressive fire and stop the Taliban taking Pte Botha's body.

The platoon commander, Captain Simon Cupples, 25, helped to pull two men to safety, including Pte Cole, for which he was later awarded the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross - an honour for bravery second only to the Victoria Cross.

At the inquest into Pte Botha and Sgt Brelsford's deaths yesterday, he described crawling in the darkness, trying to locate casualties under Taliban fire.

He said he asked Sgt Brelsford, leading another section, to push forward to find Pte Botha while he extracted the other two wounded men.

A few minutes later, he heard a cry of "Man down".

Capt Cupples said: "All the blokes that night, they all went forward, there was incredible bravery."

Second Lieutenant Michael Lockett was knocked unconscious during the firefight, but recovered and led another team to extract wounded soldiers, an act for which he too received an MC. "During this incident my life and those of my colleagues were in danger more times than I can remember," he told the hearing.

The platoon were spearheading Operation Pechtaw to push the Taliban south towards the Pakistani border and the company were on their final mission before returning to the UK.

Wiltshire Coroner David Masters, hearing the inquest into the two men's deaths, said of the soldiers' accounts of the night: "The impression I get is one of fear. "One describes the operation as 'Operation Certain Death'."

nastyleg
08-04-2009, 09:27 PM
Great read and great insight into the fight.

bobdina
08-05-2009, 02:43 PM
yea I figured I would put all of them in this one story instead of just their individual citations. Great story though, some tough buggers fighting for their friends body