PDA

View Full Version : Brit hero cheats death five times in a week

Cruelbreed
08-03-2009, 06:04 PM
A BRAVE squaddie has told how he cheated death FIVE times in just one week while fighting on the front line in Afghanistan.
Fusilier Steven Stratton survived two rocket-propelled grenade (RPG) attacks, two bombs and a 45-minute hail of bullets as he battled the Taliban in lawless Helmand Province.

The 26-year-old revealed how he thought it was "game over" when he came under fire from the RPGs at Patrol Base Woqab in Musa Qala, the northern most point of British control in the province.

Lucky

The Fusilier, of Rochdale, Greater Manchester, said: "I was manning a lookout point when I heard what sounded like a firework.

"I looked over at the enemy firing point and there was a plume of smoke and a RPG coming towards me from 800 metres away."

The infantryman ducked as the grenade hit. But seconds later, as he started to shoot back, another RPG was fired.

"There was a loud bang then blackout," he said.

"It hit the wall and took me clean out. I came around 30 seconds later being shaken by my mate. I was back on watch 20 minutes later."

Then while on foot patrol the same week, he managed to escape unharmed after stumbling across two deadly improvised explosive devices laid just 40 metres apart.

But he said his most terrifying experience came when he was among a group of four men pinned down for 45 minutes by the Taliban.

He said: "We couldn't see them but the rounds started coming in.

"There were shells coming over our heads and hitting the wall behind. It was brutal. I've never been so scared in all my life."

Despite the dangers, Fus Stratton said he has no difficulty going back out on patrol.

He said: "I love it. It's what I trained for. I took a few minutes out to chat to the boys and check myself for shrapnel but it's straight back out there and hoping you stay lucky."

Platoon sergeant Jamie Orange described Fus Stratton as "a professional" and said: "Experiences like these pull the guys closer. I've never seen the unit this tight."

http://www.military-world.net/Afghanistan/2143.html