PDA

View Full Version : Sister's Incident with a Vet

Cruelbreed
08-01-2009, 01:53 PM
It was funny because my sister told me about this last night when it happened. They were sitting outside of a restaurant and her friend mentioned he might be enlisting in the army. (they're 18-19)

It turns out someone overheard it, according to my sister he had "An eagle tatoo on his arm." She said his eyes were blood red when he yelled, "YOU THINK YOU'RE GOING TO JOIN THE ARMY, THINK? YOU NEED TO STOP FUCKING THINKING AND GO ENLIST RIGHT NOW. MY WHOLE FAMILY HAS FOUGHT FOR THIS COUNTRY TO PROTECT YOU, PEOPLE SHOULD REALIZE THIS. World War II, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan" According to the story he came back and said, "I'm sorry that I yelled at you guys, but I have one question for you. Do you know what the second amendment is?" They couldn't recall the answer immediately when my sister said, "Sir if you're supposed to be protecting us, then why are you attacking us right now?" The man gently said, "Yeah, I should probably go now" and left. She said he was leaving the restaurant and was very drunk with blood shot eyes.

The guy was obviously upset about it. I told my sis that there are a lot of people out there that put their lives on the line and are upset to see that their values are not instilled in this new generation. Told her this man might have lost someone in battle and felt alone in his sacrifices.

Despite this the guy obviously scared the shit out of a couple of teenagers that did not know how to respond. I haven't really discussed more but I had initially stopped to listen to the story and side with the vet when my sister said, "Just listen.... Just Listen." I told her she made an excellent point at the end that I don't even think I would have came up with.

Told her good job and that she should always try to understand the other side, that we are in two distant wars but it doesn't mean they aren't occuring while she goes to clubs and hangs out with friends. I tend to get upset with her at times because she does say Naive things and blurts out strong opinions about people, choices, occupations etc. Where we grew up nobody talked about military, has really been in the military or even takes it into consideration.

It's hard to know the exact details as I wasn't there to see the chatter, gesturing, facial expressions or even the actual words. But its obvious "Civilians" and "non-civilians" do clash. My sis left that same day back for New York where she will be attending Syracuse University, She had been down here going to college for 1 year and has changed a lot for the better. Perhaps that's one of the final large events she'll remember from here, it's really interesting how things happen.

bobdina
08-01-2009, 02:21 PM
I grew up in North Jersey a couple of miles away for the GW bridge. When I was younger Before 9/11) everyone flew American flags (every day not just for holidays) and me and my friends always talked about joining the military. most of our families had member's in the military and it was all we talked about. I moved to South Jersey as teenager and no one flew the flag, talked about the military or had parades. So I think just just has to do with the communities. now for this drunk guy, I am not saying this is the case with him, but except for going to the V.A. I have met more people claiming to have been in the military then have actually served. This usually occurs when the individuals are drunk or think they can get some sort of gain out of it, I.E. free drinks , food, respect or that sort of thing. They even have tattoo's (i have seen one with a skull knife going through it that said Death before dishonor) he claimed to be a Navy seal and was telling all kinds of shit stories. After a little conversation to find out more asked him a few questions, truth was he was a diver contracted by the Navy for some job.He had even put an application in at the local police dept. saying he was a Navy Seal. He was actually hired and going through training . He was later fired for lying on his application. So in short(actually pretty long) the guy your sister dealt with was just a drunk dick trying to act bad whether or not he served.