PDA

View Full Version : Shattered helmet of fallen MOH recipient given to Marine museum

bobdina
07-30-2009, 03:02 PM
Five years after Cpl. Jason Dunham died in Iraq, his former commander delivered the shattered remains of his helmet to the National Museum of the Marine Corps in Triangle, Va., save one piece that will be sealed within the mast of a Navy destroyer named in Dunham’s honor.
What makes Dunham’s helmet worthy of a museum and a destroyer is not the helmet itself, but the heroism of its former owner, the Corps’ only Medal of Honor recipient from the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. While repelling an ambush in Karabilah, Iraq, Dunham saved his fellow Marines by throwing his helmet and himself on an enemy grenade.
“Cpl. Dunham was the quintessential Marine,” Maj. Trent A. Gibson, Dunham’s former commander, said in a news release. “He was the square jawed, muscular all American man you envision when someone says ‘Marine.’ He had the character to back up his looks, too.” On April 14, 2004, Dunham was serving as a squad leader under then-Capt. Gibson, who commanded Kilo Company, 3rd Battalion, 7th Marines. While on patrol, their battalion commander ’s convoy was ambushed. Dunham led his squad to stop fleeing insurgent vehicles.
An Iraqi jumped from one and tried to choke him, according to the release. During their scuffle, the Iraqi dropped a grenade. Through his next and final act, the 22-year old Dunham saved his squad and lost his life. For that, he received the nation’s highest combat-valor award.
When Gibson arrived on the scene, he noticed a shard of Dunham’s helmet nearby. He ordered his men to collect the rest. For five years, the helmet’s remains were kept in storage. Then Gibson began collaborating with Deb and Dan Dunham, Jason Dunham’s parents.
They considered displaying the helmet’s remains on the destroyer Jason Dunham’s quarterdeck or simply burying it. Eventually, they decided to donate it to the museum while saving a single piece to seal in the ship’s mast.
On July 9, Gibson and Sgt. Mark Dean, one of Dunham’s friends, delivered the helmet to a museum curator.
“At first we were a little uneasy about the notion of displaying it, due to the graphic nature of the object,” Gibson said in the release.
“But I mainly didn’t want the significance of the helmet to become lost. It isn’t just Marine Corps property; it was spiritually transformed to a part of the Marine Corps’ living history.”

Marine Corps Times Printed edition

GTFPDQ
07-30-2009, 04:45 PM
Extremely brave man. A very poignant way to remember Cpl. Dunham. I have the feeling that if the spot on the mast is accessible, it will have to be repainted often, as the sailors wear the paint away touching it for luck and remembrance.

bobdina
07-30-2009, 04:51 PM
Extremely brave man. A very poignant way to remember Cpl. Dunham. I have the feeling that if the spot on the mast is accessible, it will have to be repainted often, as the sailors wear the paint away touching it for luck and remembrance.

I agree with your entire quote .

Mel
07-30-2009, 07:30 PM
As I read this, I think how many people would do this with out a second thought for their own life. Hell... I wonder if I would have it in my self. That my friends is the type of bravery you only see in movies.

bobdina
07-30-2009, 08:00 PM
As I read this, I think how many people would do this with out a second thought for their own life. Hell... I wonder if I would have it in my self. That my friends is the type of bravery you only see in movies.

There are amazing stories in the hero thread , some bring a tear to my eye. They did not do it for the glory, they did it for their buddies .

Mel
07-30-2009, 10:39 PM
You are absolutely right Bob, It's one of my favorite forum reads. It's amazing how selfless someone can be to save their buddies.

dmaxx3500
08-02-2009, 01:28 AM
i thought i read the navy is naming a ship after him

Ripcord
08-02-2009, 01:46 AM
I have thought about this scenario a few times and often wondered if I had what it takes to do it.
This isn't like storming a compound, or any type of enemy fortification, or standing in the way of a bullet,or running out into enemy fire to pull a wounded soldier out of harms way, those all have a chance of survivability. ( not trying to take honor away from those who have done this)

what this man did, there is no surviving.
He made a conscious effort to save everyone around him by putting himself on that grenade,he must have known it would kill him and he still did it.

another true hero.

usmc5
08-02-2009, 09:31 PM

Believe me when it boils down to it you WILL be able to do it. You train along side these guys and you even hang out and have a brew if you choose. I just wish that I could go back in time, knowing what I know now, and take out the VC (vehicle commander) in vehicle 4 as they went out on patrol.

When they went out they got hit by a huge IED. The crater was a tab bit bigger then a HMMWV, known as a hum v or hummer to civilians, and he lost his life. I could have done it since we were both Corporals. The reason why I would was his wife gave birth to a girl and he never got a chance to meet her except via pictures.

At the time I had no girlfriend/wife/kids. The only thing I had waiting for me back home was family. I would rather him go home to see his wife and kids. But alas they havent perfected the whole time travel thing yet.