PDA

View Full Version : Australia Sergeant Michael Lyddiard

bobdina
07-24-2009, 12:29 AM
A MODEST Townsville Digger who suffered horrific injuries in Afghanistan was named the 'Pride of Australia' yesterday for his devotion to duty.

Sergeant Michael Lyddiard lost an eye, his lower right arm and two fingers from his left hand when a roadside bomb he was trying to diffuse exploded in his face.

He returned to work at Lavarack Barracks just weeks later and now trains Diggers as they prepare for deployments across the globe.

But Sgt Lyddiard, who yesterday won the 'Serving Australia' medal at the News Limited 'Pride of Australia' Brisbane ceremony, shrugged off his bravery, saying the civilian medal recipients were the real heroes.

''You hear about people running into fires to rescue others, a young girl who had to drive her mother's car after she had a diabetes episode, I heard some truly remarkable stories,'' Sgt Lyddiard said.

''One guy got knifed going to the aid of a stranger.

''In many ways, the Defence Force trains you for these situations but these people showed true courage.

''They are the real heroes.

''It was great to be a recipient, but I took it as the whole Defence Force being recognised by civilians, which is great.

''I am proud to represent the ADF.''

Sgt Lyddiard also praised fellow Serving Australia nominee and Townsville Digger Captain Lynn Harding, who has worked tirelessly at Lavarack Barracks' family centre Geckos.

''All hats off to her, I think she probably has more of a challenge, or a more difficult job giving advice and support to families.

''She is more deserving.''

Sgt Lyddiard is still undergoing surgery for his wounds, and last week had an operation to remove shrapnel from his face.

''My right eye is a bit scarred, battered and bruised.

''They are still getting shrapnel out 20 months later. There are plenty of foreign bodies in my face from the blast, I'm just trying to get out the more frustrating and noticeable.

''But I'm slowly recovering, hopefully it will be the last operation for a while.''

Sgt Lyddiard still has ambitions to return to Afghanistan to finish the job.

He said his vision was slowly improving and he hoped in six months time he would be fit to serve.

''I'm still going as long as my vision improves, and I can maintain or commit competently and assure I can be an effective member and protect the Australians and the locals over there hopefully.''

Sgt Lyddiard said his wife Katri remained the key to his recovery and he was pleased she was able to attend the ceremony.

nastyleg
07-24-2009, 12:22 PM
definatly has determination