PDA

View Full Version : Info on USMC replacement SAW

bobdina
07-21-2009, 01:58 PM
Eight years ago, a group of grunts with 2nd Battalion, 7th Marines, purchased three commercial automatic rifles and pitted them against the belt-fed M249 Squad Automatic Weapon in an unofficial competition at the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center in Twentynine Palms, Calif. And so began the effort to introduce a smaller alternative to the SAW — one that will allow Marine machine gunners to maneuver more quickly, albeit at the expense of sending fewer rounds downrange.
In September, the Corps plans to announce its choice for the Infantry Automatic Rifle, said Maj. John Smith, the weapon’s project officer at Marine Corps Systems Command. What that means for grunts:
Less firepower for fire teams. The IAR, which will replace the SAW on many patrols, carries the same 5.56mm, 30-round magazine used with the Corps’ main service weapons, the M16A4 rifle and the M4 carbine. That’s far less ammunition than the SAW carries in a 200 round drum, a big concern for some grunts. Corpswide, the number of SAWs is expected to shrink from 11,381 to about 8,000, with the beltfed beast retaining a role in airfield security, overwatch from towers and other stationary tasks.

Less to lug around. The complaint with the SAW, an ample 22 pounds when loaded with a 200 round belt, has always been that it’s too heavy. Marine officials say the auto rifle will bridge the firepower gap between the M16A4 and the machine gun without slowing an assault. The four finalists vying for the IAR contract weigh from 7.9 pounds to 11.2 pounds empty.

Familiar brands in the mix. The companies competing for the contract include Heckler & Koch, FN Herstal and Colt Defense, maker of the M4. Colt has two weapons in the competition, the Colt 6940 and Colt 6940H.

Testing underway. An evaluation was conducted in April to generate feedback from Marines and assess what kind of training will be necessary, Smith said. The weapon has been tested at Marine Corps Base Quantico, Va., Aberdeen Proving Ground, Md., and Hawthorne Army Depot, Nev., officials said.

Training overhaul to come. The Corps hasn’t specified how the new weapon will affect training requirements, but Smith said the infantry community can expect adjustments in tactics, techniques and procedures. Auto riflemen also will be required to qualify with the new weapon on the rifle range, officials said.

From the Marine Corps Times Printed edition

ghost
07-21-2009, 02:21 PM
Hmm. Bad idea in my opinion.

The SAW is the platform which basic infantry tactics revolve around. And the idea for suppressive fire is pretty pointless, if you've only got 30 rounds, like everyone else in the squad.... You're just another rifleman. Now, if one of these weapons had a drum magazine or something, allowing it to carry more rounds, then I might have a different opinion.

A more effective, and less expensive, solution would be just designing a lighter box magazine for the current SAW. And perhaps something which prevents dirt and dust from getting in the belt(this seems to be a major problem).

Not to mention, there's also the smaller and lighter Mk46 SAWs that Special Forces use. And if you need it even lighter, you can just use the stock that the Para SAW uses.

http://www.fnhusa.com/support/images/dynamic/milm/FNM0040mb.png

bobdina
07-21-2009, 02:27 PM
The MK 46's are now being given to line infantry units in a test to see if the lighter weight off sets the slower firing rate. SAW up to 1000 rounds per minute vs MK46 up to 750 rounds per minute. Oh yea forgot to mention I agree with you.

ghost
07-21-2009, 02:38 PM
The MK 46's are now being given to line infantry units in a test to see if the lighter weight off sets the slower firing rate. SAW up to 1000 rounds per minute vs MK46 up to 750 rounds per minute. Oh yea forgot to mention I agree with you.

Very nice. Hopefully the guys up top will get their heads out of the sand and listen to the guys on the ground using them.

nastyleg
07-22-2009, 01:47 AM
Hmm. Bad idea in my opinion.

The SAW is the platform which basic infantry tactics revolve around. And the idea for suppressive fire is pretty pointless, if you've only got 30 rounds, like everyone else in the squad.... You're just another rifleman. Now, if one of these weapons had a drum magazine or something, allowing it to carry more rounds, then I might have a different opinion.

A more effective, and less expensive, solution would be just designing a lighter box magazine for the current SAW. And perhaps something which prevents dirt and dust from getting in the belt(this seems to be a major problem).

Not to mention, there's also the smaller and lighter Mk46 SAWs that Special Forces use. And if you need it even lighter, you can just use the stock that the Para SAW uses.

http://www.fnhusa.com/support/images/dynamic/milm/FNM0040mb.png

Had that in Iraq in 04. She got the job done funny thing is when I got ot my friend Ferg. became the armour and told me he had to deadline it. That saw never failed me while on footpatol or while at home at the ranges.