PDA

View Full Version : German Offficer dies saving wounded American in WW2

bobdina
07-17-2009, 04:03 PM
On the 12th of November 44, as Lieutenant Friedrich Lengfeld was leading his unit, he heard a severe wounded American Soldier screaming for help who was lying in nomansland, between the front lines, in the middle of a German minefield "Wild Boar".
The severe wounded soldiers unit (yet unknown) already pulled back , which is the reason why none of his unit heard him screaming for help.

Lt. Friedrich Lengfeld ordered his men not to shoot on any of the allied rescues to try or reach and save the severe wounded soldier. But the rescues which the Germans as well as the wounded soldier himself hoped for, never came, so the severe wounded GI screamed for help and in pain hour after hour. Until Friedrich Lengfeld himself found that it already took too long an nobody came to help him...
The desperate "Help me, help me" cries started to tear his heart in pieces
He could not stand longer to witness the poor GI being stuck in this agony. Helpless .. alone...
This man was no longer just an enemy ..
He was a human being in desperate need of help.

The Lieutenant formed a rescue squad, complete with Red Cross vests and flags, and led his men toward the wounded American.
The only problem was that the minefield also was between Lengfeld and the severely wounded American soldier himself. That meant that Lengfeld had to go through all of the mines, but Lengfeld never made it to this wounded soldier.
Friedrich Lengfeld stepped on a mine while trying to reach and save this man.
He was critically wounded and died shortly afterward in hospital.

The destiny of the American Soldier is yet unknown, this all is based on eyewitness Hubert Gees, who was serving under Friedrich Lengfeld.

Friedrich Lengfelds spirit lives in many German and American hearts also in the heart of the Huertgen forest.

The bronze and concrete monument is believed to be the only one placed by Americans in a German military cemetery for a German soldier.
In both German and English, the inscribing tells :

No man hath greater love than he who
layeth down his life for his enemy.

IN MEMORY OF

LIEUTENANT FRIEDRICH LENGFELD

2ND CO., FUES. BN., 275TH INF. DIV.

Here in the Huertgen Forest on November 12, 1944,
Lt. Lengfeld, a German officer, gave his life
while trying to save the life of an American
soldier lying severely wounded in the "Wilde
Sau" minefield and appealing for medical aid.

Requested by greenmamba and a big thanks for the story .

Cruelbreed
07-17-2009, 04:26 PM
HOLY. You know first I really can't believe this guy would risk his life like this in a mine field. I almost want to say I would never even think about doing it once confronted with the idea of the mines. The human aspect is fascinating and I credit with this man for being a greater human than I might ever be. Perhaps we can learn from him.

Woodbutcher824
07-17-2009, 06:27 PM
Nice find Bob. :thumbsup:

bobdina
07-17-2009, 06:46 PM
Nice find Bob. :thumbsup:

The thanks goes to Greenmamba another request

nastyleg
07-19-2009, 12:28 PM
Damn never heard about this. Thanks Greenmamba for the request and to Bob for th info.