PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Navy Cross Marcus Luttrell

bobdina
07-17-2009, 11:37 AM
Marcus Luttrell

* Home of record: Huntsville, Texas

As a member of a 4-man SEAL Team in Afghanistan, Marcus Luttrell was the only member of the team to survive this action. The mission resulted in one team member receiving a posthumous award of the Medal of Honor, and the other team members receiving the Navy Cross, making them the most decorated SEAL Team in history. Marcus Luttrell subsequently wrote a book about that mission appropriately titled "Lone Survivor" in which he recounted not only the mission, but the harrowing days following the combat action during which he was pursued by Taliban fighters, and was sheltered by Afghan civilians.

Awards and Citations

Navy Cross

Awarded for actions during the Global War on Terror

SYNOPSIS: The President of the United States of America takes pleasure in presenting the Navy Cross to Marcus Luttrell, United States Navy, for extraordinary heroism in actions against the enemy while serving in a four-man Special Reconnaissance element with SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team ONE, Naval Special Warfare Task unit, Afghanistan from 27 to 28 June 2005. This Navy SEAL, who remains on active duty and whose identity has not yet been revealed, demonstrated extraordinary heroism in the face of grave danger in the vicinity of Asadabad, Konar Province, Afghanistan. Operating in the middle of an enemy-controlled area, in extremely rugged terrain, his Special Reconnaissance element was tasked with locating a high-level Anti-Coalition Militia leader, in support of a follow-on direct action mission to disrupt enemy activity. On 28 June 2005, the element was spotted by Anti-Coalition Militia sympathizers, who immediately revealed their position to the militia fighters. As a result, the element directly encountered the enemy. Demonstrating exceptional resolve and fully understanding the gravity of the situation and his responsibility to his teammates, the unidentified SEAL fought valiantly against the numerically superior and positionally advantaged enemy force.

Service: Navy

Cruelbreed
07-17-2009, 01:23 PM
More pics

Cruelbreed
07-17-2009, 01:47 PM
Marcus describing the event

YouTube - Marcus Luttrell Speaks

ghost
07-17-2009, 02:05 PM
Thank you for this, Bobdina. I appreciate it.

Here's a clip with Marcus Luttrell on his Navy Cross -

http://www.livevideo.com/video/62B387A14BF943AA99F256900AEF6059/marcus-luttrell-and-seal-team-.aspx

Cruelbreed
07-17-2009, 02:12 PM

http://www.livevideo.com/video/62B387A14BF943AA99F256900AEF6059/marcus-luttrell-and-seal-team-.aspx

Thanks for the link i've seen this one too.

bobdina
07-17-2009, 02:12 PM

No problem anyone who wants someone profiled I'll do and just call me Bob