PDA

View Full Version : Taliban threatens to kill captured U.S. soldier

bobdina
07-16-2009, 01:45 PM
Taliban threatens to kill captured U.S. soldier

By Amir Shah - The Associated Press
Posted : Thursday Jul 16, 2009 10:58:33 EDT

KABUL — Local Taliban commanders threatened Thursday to kill a captured American soldier unless the U.S. military stops operations in two districts of southeastern Afghanistan.

The Taliban claimed last week to be holding the soldier, whom the U.S. military earlier described as possibly being in enemy hands.

Abdullah Jalali, a spokesman for Taliban commander Mawlavi Sangin, told The Associated Press in a telephone interview that the soldier was healthy.

He said the soldier would be killed unless the U.S. stops airstrikes in Ghazni province’s Giro district and Paktika province’s Khoshamand district. Jalali did not explain why the Taliban chose those areas, noting only that Giro has been heavily bombed.

Neither district is in Helmand province, where Marines are currently conducting the largest U.S. military operation in Afghanistan since the Taliban was toppled from power in 2001.

Jalali said the final decision about the soldier’s fate will be made by Taliban leader Mullah Omar.

The U.S. military has said that the soldier was noticed missing during a routine check of the unit June 30 and was “believed captured.”

The Taliban claimed on its Web site July 6 that it was holding the soldier.

“Five days ago, a drunken American soldier who had come out of his garrison named Malakh was captured by mujahedeen. ... He is still with mujahedeen,” said the report. The short Web message did not elaborate on his whereabouts, nor did it provide any proof such as a photo.

The U.S. military has said it intercepted communications in which insurgents talked about holding an American.

The soldier’s body armor and weapon were found on the base, and U.S. defense sources say he “just walked off” post with three Afghans after work. They say they have no explanation for why he left the base.

The military has not identified the soldier but say his family has been notified that he is missing. He is serving in an Army infantry unit assigned to a combat outpost, one of a number of smaller bases set up by foreign forces in Afghanistan.

Also Thursday, the governor of Kandahar province announced that six civilians were killed and 14 were wounded in the airstrike on a village in Shawalikot district. His statement said an investigation is ongoing.

Wounded villagers at a hospital in the provincial capital told The Associated Press that attack helicopters started bombarding their homes about 10:30 p.m. Wednesday. One man said his 3-year-old granddaughter was killed.

U.S. military spokeswoman Lt. Cmdr. Christine Sidenstricker confirmed that the U.S. military conducted operations in the area Wednesday but said she did not yet have details and could not confirm any casualties.

U.S. Gen. Stanley McChrystal, who took over last month as the commander of U.S. and NATO forces, has said he wants his troops’ first priority to be protecting Afghan civilians, not using massive fire power.

Elsewhere, officials said three police were killed by a suicide car bomber in Nimroz province, and two Afghan army soldiers died in two attacks in the south. NATO forces said they killed two insurgents in an attack in the east.

The Interior Ministry said an attack on an international military supply convoy sparked a battle that killed at least eight insurgents, two police officers and a private security guard.

Yono
07-16-2009, 02:34 PM
I don't want to sound like a total asshole, and I know this must be horribaly hard on this trooper's family but, I don't think they should stop bombing those area's.

Befor any one punces on me, it is obious that these sectors are important to the Taliban. In one way or another, those sectors must be important if they wan't to kill that soldier.

He is a U.S. soldier, he does deserve to be alive with his family but, if the Taliban really do threaten this, it must be important.

I dunno...must be a hard choice for whoever needs to make it.

bobdina
07-16-2009, 04:16 PM
I don't want to sound like a total asshole, and I know this must be horribaly hard on this trooper's family but, I don't think they should stop bombing those area's.

Befor any one punces on me, it is obious that these sectors are important to the Taliban. In one way or another, those sectors must be important if they wan't to kill that soldier.

He is a U.S. soldier, he does deserve to be alive with his family but, if the Taliban really do threaten this, it must be important.

I dunno...must be a hard choice for whoever needs to make it.

No one in their right mind is going to slam you for that . I promise you they won't stop you cannot give in to these types of demands it just encourages more of this type of activity.