PDA

View Full Version : Shifty Powers

scoutsout80
07-15-2009, 05:04 PM
Memorial Service: - You're invited.

The Power of the Press!

We're hearing a lot today about big splashy memorial services. I want a nationwide memorial service for Darrell "Shifty" Powers.

Shifty volunteered for the airborne in WWII and served with Easy Company of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, part of the 101st Airborne Infantry. If you've seen Band of Brothers on HBO or the History Channel, you know Shifty. His character appears in all 10 episodes, and Shifty himself is interviewed in several of them.

I met Shifty in the Philadelphia airport several years ago. I didn't know who he was at the time. I just saw an elderly gentleman having trouble reading his ticket. I offered to help, assured him that he was at the right gate, and noticed the "Screaming Eagle", the symbol of the 101st Airborne, on his hat. Making conversation, I asked him if he'd been in the 101st Airborne or if his son was serving. He said quietly that he had been in the 101st. I thanked him for his service, then asked him when he served, and how many jumps he made.

Quietly and humbly, he said "Well, I guess I signed up in 1941 or so, and was in until sometime in 1945 . . . " at which point my heart skipped. At that point, again, very humbly, he said "I made the 5 training jumps at Toccoa, and then jumped into Normandy . . . . do you know where Normandy is?" At this point my heart stopped.

I told him yes, I know exactly where Normandy was, and I know what D-Day was. At that point he said "I also made a second jump into Holland , into Arnhem ." I was standing with a genuine war hero . . . . and then I realized that it was June, just after the anniversary of D-Day. I asked Shifty if he was on his way back from France , and he said "Yes. And it's real sad because these days so few of the guys are left, and those that are, lots of them can't make the trip." My heart was in my throat and I didn't know what to say.

I helped Shifty get onto the plane and then realized he was back in Coach, while I was in First Class. I sent the flight attendant back to get him and said that I wanted to switch seats. When Shifty came forward, I got up out of the seat and told him I wanted him to have it, that I'd take his in coach. He said "No, son, you enjoy that seat. Just knowing that there are still some who remember what we did and still care is enough to make an old man very happy." His eyes were filling up as he said it. And mine are brimming up now as I write this.

Shifty died on June 17 after fighting cancer.

There was no parade.

No big event in Staples Center .

No wall to wall back to back 24x7 news coverage.

No weeping fans on television.

And that's not right.

Let's give Shifty his own Memorial Service, online, in our own quiet way. Please forward this email to everyone you know. Especially to the veterans.

Rest in peace, Shifty.

"A nation without heroes is nothing." Roberto Clemente

bobdina
07-15-2009, 05:09 PM
A real American hero Thanks for your service and I hope your in a better place now may you rest in peace you deserve it . I truly hope your in a better place with your jump buddies . Thanks Scout

Cruelbreed
07-15-2009, 05:21 PM
I remember him from watching Band of Brothers for sure. The second I saw the name here on the forums I recognized it. I think if I recall from the show he was from Tennessee and they made him out to be just as humble as explained. I remember in the show he was given the pass to go home and on the way he got into some sort of vehicle accident that delayed his journey back home. I think they also portrayed him as an ace shot with a rifle :) Rest in Peace Shifty.

Stark
07-15-2009, 05:59 PM
cast aside - WW2 is so 1940 - its sad but its happing not only to them but to many vietnam vets - especially the nam vets.
Very sad.

We should have a hero wall - like a page that has either all the the fallen (if thats possible) listed.

I be up for that.

Stark
07-15-2009, 06:08 PM
Name
ABAD ROBERTO
ACEVEDO JOSEPH
ACEVEDOAPONTE RAMON ANTONIO
ACKLIN MICHAEL DEWAYNE II
ACOSTA GENARO
ACOSTA STEVEN
ADAIR JAMES LEE
ADAMOUSKI JAMES FRANCIS
ADAMS ALGERNON
ADAMS BRANDON EDWIN
ADAMS BRENT ALLEN
ADAMS CLARENCE III
ADAMS LEONARD WADE
ADAMS MARK PHILLIP
ADAMS MICHAEL ROBERT
ADAMS MICHAEL SCOTT
ADAMS ROGER LEEROY JR
ADAMS SHAWN GALEN
ADAMS THOMAS MULLEN
ADCOCK SHANE TIMOTHY
ADDISON JAMAAL RASHARD
ADKINS DUSTIN MATTHEW
ADLE PATRICK RYAN
ADLESPERGER CHRISTOPHER SCOTT
AGAMI DANIEL JAY
AGNO RANDY SUYAT
AGUILAR ANDRES JR
AGUIRRE ANTHONY
AGUIRRE NATHANIEL AARON
AHEARN JAMES MICHAEL
AHLQUIST CLINTON WAYNE
AILES JERAMY ALAN
AITKEN TRISTAN NEIL
AKERS SPENCER CLARK
AKIN JAMES CHRISTOPHER
AKINTADE SEGUN FREDERICK
ALANIZ PAUL CHRISTOPHER
ALARCON IVAN VARGAS
ALBRAK OMAR MOHAMMED JR
ALBRECHT JESSE BRYON
ALCANTARA JUAN MARIEL
ALCOZER CHRISTOPHER MICHAEL
ALDAY ZACHARY MATHEW
ALDRICH NICKALOUS NEIL
ALEX EUGENE HENRY ELI
ALEXANDER GEORGE THOMAS JR
ALEXANDER MATTHEW LEE
ALEXEEV ALEXANDRE ALEXANDROVICH
ALFONSO CARLO ESCOTO
ALGER TRACY LYNN
ALGRIM WILSON ANDREW
ALI AZHAR
ALICEA RIVERA RAFAEL ANGEL
ALLBAUGH JEREMY DAVID
ALLCOTT JACOB HAMILTON
ALLEMAN MICHEAL BOYD
ALLEN AARON MICHAEL
ALLEN CHAD MICHAEL
ALLEN CHARLES DONALD
ALLEN HOWARD PAUL
ALLEN JOHN EDWARD
ALLEN LONNIE CALVIN JR
ALLEN LOUIS EDWIN
ALLEN RONALD DEAN JR
ALLEN TERRENCE PATRICK
ALLERS WILLIAM ALVIN III
ALLGOOD BRIAN DUANE
ALLISON GLENN RICHARD
ALLMAN DANIEL JOSEPH II
ALLMON JEREMY OLIN
ALLMON WILLIAM ELLIOTT

Cruelbreed
07-15-2009, 06:10 PM
cast aside - WW2 is so 1940 - its sad but its happing not only to them but to many vietnam vets - especially the nam vets.
Very sad.

We should have a hero wall - like a page that has either all the the fallen (if thats possible) listed.

I be up for that.

Yeah, it was mentioned in this top secret thread

http://www.apacheclips.com/boards/showthread.php?t=2376

Stark
07-15-2009, 06:12 PM
Lets see

Yono
07-15-2009, 06:12 PM
This really touched me. My eye's started to fill up as soon as I saw the date which he died. I never even heard about it. Nothing.

And I remember him so much from Band of Brothers. Such a guy, I am going to watch all the episodes now, one after the other in honor of him.

Cruelbreed
07-15-2009, 06:36 PM
This really touched me. My eye's started to fill up as soon as I saw the date which he died. I never even heard about it. Nothing.

And I remember him so much from Band of Brothers. Such a guy, I am going to watch all the episodes now, one after the other in honor of him.

Yeah, I hadn't heard anything either. Didn't catch a news article or anything.

Cruelbreed
07-15-2009, 10:12 PM
Published: June 20, 2009

BY ROGER BROWN
BRISTOL HERALD COURIER

“The world depended on them. They depended on each other.”

That was the tagline for “Band of Brothers” – an award-winning 2001 HBO mini-series drama on the World War II experiences of Easy Company, a U.S. Army unit that fought bravely and fiercely across Europe.

But for Bristol’s Margo Johnson – daughter of Darrell “Shifty” Powers, one of the soldiers depicted in “Band of Brothers” – two more lines could be added to describe her heroic father: “The world truly admired Darrell Powers. I absolutely adored him.”

“I loved everything about my daddy,” Johnson said. “He never bragged about what he did in the war. And for a lot of years, he never even talked much about what he did – unless someone asked him about it.

“But he truly was a hero to me,” Johnson said. “Just like he’d been to the people who know him as a soldier in a [mini-series].”

Powers, a Dickenson County native, died earlier this week at age 86 following a battle with cancer. His funeral service will be held today in Clintwood.

“He was a brave man, even to the end of his life,” Johnson said of her father. “He’s helping me be brave now, too.”

Bravery – and dignity – was a constant, running thread in the life of “Shifty” Powers, both during and after his life as an Army sharpshooter in the actual “Band of Brothers.”

During the war, he fought brutal battles against the German army across France and Belgium.

After the war, Powers served as an eloquent representative for the men he fought with: At one point during the “Band of Brothers” mini-series, he appeared on camera to talk in moving, humane fashion about his grim but necessary task during the war – killing the enemy.

And, too, Powers served as a loyal, steadfast representative for the country he fought for: from graciously meeting with a former enemy German soldier to eagerly accepting any chance to speak with modern-day members of the U.S. military.

Ivan Schwarz, a producer on the “Band of Brothers” HBO series, remembers Powers as a “kind, generous soul with a great sense of humor.”

“Shifty was an incredibly humble human being,” said Schwarz, now executive director of the Greater Cleveland Film Commission in Cleveland, Ohio.

“He was like most of the other [Easy Company] soldiers we met for the series. They were good guys who were kind of shocked that, 50 years later, people were making a big deal over them for just doing their duty.

“That’s exactly how [Powers] was, too,” Schwarz said.

Attempts were unsuccessful to reach Peter Youngblood Hills – the English actor who portrayed Powers in the “Band of Brothers” miniseries, through both HBO and his former publicity firm, Hamilton Hodell in London, England.

http://www.tricities.com/tri/news/local/article/band_of_brothers_hero_darrell_swifty_powers_dies/25556/

nastyleg
07-16-2009, 01:37 AM
Too many of the defenders of freedom are dieing w/o the same recognition they deserve. Here in the USA as well as across the world

acf6
07-16-2009, 02:50 AM
RIP to this true hero!! We are losing these vets everyday. My grandfather faught on the Italian front and he is 88 now. He has many health problems and could go at anytime. If you know anyone that served talk to them! I love listening to his stories from combat!

Woodbutcher824
07-16-2009, 06:27 AM
Too many of the defenders of freedom are dieing w/o the same recognition they deserve. Here in the USA as well as across the world

I agree, all the world cares about is some child touching queer that looked like his sister, not a self sacrificing put your life on the line hero.

RIP Shifty.
Thanks for your sacrifice.

chriss
07-16-2009, 08:24 AM
This is messed up. He has done a lot for Europe, for my country too.

ghost
07-16-2009, 11:22 AM
Rest in peace, Shifty. You've done a great service for your country. While I may not believe in heaven, I hope you are in a better place.

Why didn't we hear about this on the news? Too busy covering Michael Jackson? Fuck that shit.

mp5punk
07-18-2009, 01:02 AM
Yea thats sad that he died, he was interviewed in that movie band of brothers you know, good man. RIP