PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about being a helicopter pilot

mp5punk
07-15-2009, 01:10 AM
Hey guys i just wanted to ask a few things about being a helicopter pilot. I am currently in the 10th grade and i am planning on joining the Army after i graduate high school. Its been my goal for the past 6 years and i dont plan on quitting.

1st question: vision. Does my vision have to be perfect to become a pilot, i do belive i have 20/20 but with the amount of time i spend on the computer it probably wont the same by the time im done with high school.

School: I know this is a big one and with out good grades i can kiss my dream good bye. But does being in trouble at all interfear with it such as being suspended? I just want to know these things for future reference so i dont blow it in my last 3 years of school.

I am also wondering whondering what kind of math involves helicopter flying. Geometry, algebra?? what type of math is it. What type of problems are there to be solved. I just want some general knowledge of what it is like being a helicopter pilot and what some of the mental demands are.

Thanks all.

nastyleg
07-15-2009, 03:00 AM
Well all I can answer one of these questions. Being suspended will not interfer with your military goals. However getting in trouble with the law will have adverse effects on your chances getting in. Study for the ASVAB. This is very essental to getting the job you want.

mp5punk
07-15-2009, 03:01 AM
Yes i have taken the ASVAB practice test and its not easy tbh i failed so i definatley will study for that. I havent been in trouble with the law yet, or i dont think i have only been in a few fights here and there, thats it im not a drinker nor do i do drugs so im safe on that side.

nastyleg
07-15-2009, 03:13 AM
Yes i have taken the ASVAB practice test and its not easy tbh i failed so i definatley will study for that. I havent been in trouble with the law yet, or i dont think i have only been in a few fights here and there, thats it im not a drinker nor do i do drugs so im safe on that side.

There are study guides that you can buy at bookstores. If you have not been to court or jail you will be fine. If you do go to court remember it is not what you say but how you say it. Stay sober and clean. You will be fine. Stay with the books, not easy but it will pay off. High school is temporary. You will lose contact with some of your friends in the end but that is okay you will make life long ones in the service. Remember DEDICATION to yourself and your goals.

bobdina
07-15-2009, 12:12 PM
I would get in touch with scoutsout80 he was a helo pilot or even gundriver22 he's in flight school now but might be too busy to reply. We also have a new Military member who just graduated from flight school I'll pm and see if they would like to give you advice. Bob

scoutsout80
07-15-2009, 12:41 PM
PM me

bobdina
07-15-2009, 01:28 PM
Thanks Scout means a lot to me to have our Vets/active /retired guys helping kids like this. Bob

gundriver22
07-15-2009, 07:05 PM
Hey Punk,

Here's some advice I just gave my cousin who is in the same position you are. Enlist out of high school first. Get an MOS that works DIRECTLY with the aircraft you want to fly. Become a crew chief, or technician of any kind. Just as long as you're in the community. The boards that pick up Warrant Packets would hold you in higher regards than they would a civilian that has thousands of hours of flight time or any degree from any college on the planet and would, 9 times out of 10, give you the slot.

You MUST MUST MUST MUST NOT be a douchebag during your time enlisted though. The pilots you're working with are the same ones that will write your letters of recommendations. A strong letter from an experienced pilot that you have worked with for 3 or 4 years is a golden ticket to Fort Rucker. It's like the saying "It's not what you know, but WHO you know?" Ya, know?

In my opinion, this is the best way to go about getting behind the wheel of some badass rotary wing action. It's not the only way, but if I knew then what I know now........etc etc. But then again, what DO I really know?

My 2 cents

Klaatu
07-15-2009, 07:55 PM
Gundriver gave you some great advice. I went in the Army right out of high school and was a Helicopter mechanic. There's no better way to get to know the aircraft inside out, and get to know what it's like being a part of the aviation branch.. Letters of recommendation from pilots can be exceptionally helpful.

Oh yeah and don't be a douche like Gundriver said. ;)

mp5punk
07-19-2009, 04:09 AM
AHH thanks for the advice gundriver really glad to hear it from a first hand experience. I will be going to bootcamp after 11th grade then i will be enlisting as a warrant officer.

bobdina
07-19-2009, 03:04 PM
Hey Punk,

Here's some advice I just gave my cousin who is in the same position you are. Enlist out of high school first. Get an MOS that works DIRECTLY with the aircraft you want to fly. Become a crew chief, or technician of any kind. Just as long as you're in the community. The boards that pick up Warrant Packets would hold you in higher regards than they would a civilian that has thousands of hours of flight time or any degree from any college on the planet and would, 9 times out of 10, give you the slot.

You MUST MUST MUST MUST NOT be a douchebag during your time enlisted though. The pilots you're working with are the same ones that will write your letters of recommendations. A strong letter from an experienced pilot that you have worked with for 3 or 4 years is a golden ticket to Fort Rucker. It's like the saying "It's not what you know, but WHO you know?" Ya, know?

In my opinion, this is the best way to go about getting behind the wheel of some badass rotary wing action. It's not the only way, but if I knew then what I know now........etc etc. But then again, what DO I really know?

My 2 cents

A big thanks to you guns as well. It really means a lot to me to have you guy's with real experience helping members who ask for advice. You guys do the VET community proud.

Bob