PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Congressman thinks Obama could cause a 20% jobless rate.

nastyleg
07-13-2009, 11:14 PM
http://briefingroom.thehill.com/2009/07/10/michigan-could-hit-20-jobless-thanks-to-obama-congressman/

July 10, 2009
Congressman: Michigan could hit 20% jobless thanks to Obama
@ 2:19 pm by Michael O'Brien
Michigan's unemployment rate could hit as high as 20 percent with the Obama administrationto blame, one Michigan congressman warned Friday.

Rep. Thaddeus McCotter (R-Mich.) said that Michigan's unemployment — already the highest in the country at 14.1 percent — could go even higher as General Motors and Chrysler continue to shed jobs after their government-financed bankruptcies.

"Sadly, we've seen estimates, because of the radical restructuring that the auto task force demanded, that this year, Michigan wind up over 20 percent unemployment," McCotter said during an appearance on a conservative news radio program.

The Wolverine State hasn't yet exceeded its previous record for unemployment in modern history, when it reached 16.9 percent in November of 1982.

McCotter warned that the effect of such a high jobless number could spread to other states and cities.

"That cascading effect throughout the entire economy — and throughout other states — that rely in many ways on the manufacturing base is going to have devastating effects not only to state government, it's going to have devastating effects for local government," McCotter explained.

Cruelbreed
07-14-2009, 06:15 PM
Oh god, hopefully not.

nastyleg
07-14-2009, 06:29 PM
saw that link on glennbeck.com hit the link and thought it was worthy of posting. The jobless rate is astounding.

bobdina
07-15-2009, 09:30 AM
I read it on the A.P. wire yesterday , the mayor and someone else said it was up to 14.9% already and there not getting any help at all and expect with another month to be 16%

Cruelbreed
07-15-2009, 02:38 PM
Okay, but why is Obama to blame?

bobdina
07-15-2009, 02:43 PM
"because of the radical restructuring that the auto task force demanded" headed by a person with no background in the auto industry, yes are the execs dicks but I'm sure someone in high management would have been a much better person for the job

gundriver22
07-15-2009, 06:43 PM
Hey, thats the Change "we" voted for right?

silvertree
07-15-2009, 07:45 PM
yea it sucks here, I live in lansing and have been laid off for the last 3 months.

nastyleg
07-16-2009, 02:57 AM
Silvertree that is the story across the board state by state layoffs. How is it that AIG, Franny and Freddie get the blame but Goldman Sachs makes a 65%profit this year?!?!?!?!!!! Way to go sec of treasury. I applaud you