PDA

View Full Version : Israel buys first f-35 squadron

Cruelbreed
07-10-2009, 01:27 PM
Israel orders 1st stealth F-35 squadron
Jul. 9, 2009
Yaakov Katz , THE JERUSALEM POST
Israel moved a step closer to receiving its first stealth fighter jets this week after the Israel Air Force submitted an official Letter of Request (LOR) to the Pentagon to purchase its first squadron of 25 F-35 stealth fighter jets.

Also known as the Joint Strike Fighter (JSF), the F-35 will be one of the most-advanced fighter jets in the world and will enable Israel to phase out some of its older F-15 and F-16 models. The JSF is manufactured by Lockheed Martin.

Defense officials said that while the LOR was submitted this week, negotiations regarding the final price of the plane - estimated at around $100 million - as well as the integration of Israeli systems would continue.

The LOR will be followed by the signing of a contract in the beginning of 2010. The first aircraft are scheduled to arrive in Israel in 2014.

The first stage of the deal will be the purchase of 25 aircraft, which will compromise the first Israeli F-35 squadron. In a later stage, the IAF plans to purchase an additional 50 aircraft, some of them with vertical take-off and landing capabilities.

According to senior IDF officers, the Defense Ministry and the Pentagon have reached understandings on most of the major issues that have been at the core of disagreement between the sides.

Israeli demands have focused on three issues - the integration of Israeli-made electronic warfare systems into the plane, the integration of Israeli communication systems and the ability to independently maintain the plane in the event of a technical or structural problem.

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1246443770618&pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull

scoutsout80
07-10-2009, 01:42 PM
F-35 must be ok if the IDF is going to buy them.....

Yono
07-10-2009, 02:06 PM
It sure looks good. And if it isn't what they expect it to be, I am sure they will just mod it untill it is.

But I am not sure why they took the F-35 over the F-22. The only two reasons I can think of are:
A. F-22 is too expensive
B. The F-35 is already ready, and the IWI and IAF want to check it out.

bobdina
07-10-2009, 02:31 PM
The F-22 as of right now is not cleared for foreign sales. They are trying to make a model for at least Japan and Australia. Read this
AF ready for F-22 export version

By Sam LaGrone - Staff writer
Posted : Tuesday Jun 16, 2009 11:29:10 EDT

The Air Force is prepared to create a version of the F-22 Raptor that the U.S. could sell to foreign countries if it gets the go-ahead from Congress and the State Department, according to one of the service’s top acquisition officers.

Lt. Gen. Mark Shackelford told the Senate Armed Services air and land forces subcommittee that the Air Force would follow established practices to ensure the export model did not jeopardize U.S. military secrets.

“We would go into the process dealing with the State Department policy crowd and using normal foreign military sales processes,” Shackelford, military deputy in the Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for acquisition, said June 9 in response to remarks by Sen. John Thune, R-S.D.

It was the second time in less than a week the question of foreign sales came up at a Senate hearing. Five days earlier, at a Senate Appropriations subcommittee hearing, Sen. Daniel Inouye, D-Hawaii, asked the Air Force’s top two leaders — Chief of Staff Gen. Norton Schwartz and Secretary Michael Donley — what it would take to sell the stealth fighter abroad. After the hearing, Inouye said Japanese officials had asked him about the possibility of creating an F-22 export version. Australia also has expressed interest in buying the F-22.

Currently, a federal law enacted to keep sensitive military technology from hostile governments prevents both countries from acquiring the Raptor.

Japan has said it would pay the estimated $1 billion it would cost to develop an F-22 export model. The $140 million F-22 is one of six potential contenders to replace Japan’s aging fleet of F-4s. The F-35 Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter is another possibility.

In May, Defense Secretary Robert Gates recommended Japan go with the F-35 instead of the F-22. A month earlier, in his 2010 budget recommendation, Gates made clear his vision for the fifth-generation fighter fleet: the F-35 with a helping hand from the F-22. His plan calls for capping Raptor production at 187 aircraft — the goal once had been 381 — and bringing on 513 F-35s over the next five years. The last F-22 will roll off the production line in 2011.

Shackelford told Thune a foreign nation interested in acquiring the fighter would have to foot the bill to convert it.

“The F-22 that the United States flies would not be the same F-22 country ‘X’ flies,” Shackelford said.

“Keeping the F-22 line hot” with a foreign sales market could mitigate problems with bringing the F-35 online, Thune said.

The South Dakota senator and other observers say they worry that Gates is committing to the F-35 too early in its test program and that the U.S. will be left with a fighter gap if the Joint Strike Fighter fails to live up to expectations. The F-35s are replacing more than 800 of the Air Force’s oldest F-15s and F-16s, slated for decommissioning by 2024.

Cruelbreed
07-10-2009, 02:33 PM
Not to step on anybodies toes. But do you guys think the F-22 should be sold to anyone? I personally do not, especially with accusations at certain nations selling and allowing military leaks to countries such as China.

bobdina
07-10-2009, 02:37 PM
“The F-22 that the United States flies would not be the same F-22 country ‘X’ flies,” Shackelford said. With that being said I'm not to worried if it happened. I'm sure any export would have the same restrictions like the tomcat in Iran did. You cannot fly a plane without support and spare parts. Still I guess you would have to be Leary the first few years.

Cruelbreed
07-10-2009, 02:43 PM
“The F-22 that the United States flies would not be the same F-22 country ‘X’ flies,” Shackelford said. With that being said I'm not to worried if it happened. I'm sure any export would have the same restrictions like the tomcat in Iran did. You cannot fly a plane without support and spare parts. Still I guess you would have to be Leary the first few years.

I understand. Just with all the reverse engineering these days things get a little fidgety. I just find comfort knowing the U.S. is taking proper precautions to safeguard its technology. Other countries make money off similar tech.

nastyleg
07-10-2009, 05:10 PM
It sure looks good. And if it isn't what they expect it to be, I am sure they will just mod it untill it is.

But I am not sure why they took the F-35 over the F-22. The only two reasons I can think of are:
A. F-22 is too expensive
B. The F-35 is already ready, and the IWI and IAF want to check it out.

C. VTOL capabilites...you forgot that one tehe

ghost
07-10-2009, 06:06 PM
Excellent. They'll be able to weave right through Irans air defenses like nothing.

Not to step on anybodies toes. But do you guys think the F-22 should be sold to anyone? I personally do not, especially with accusations at certain nations selling and allowing military leaks to countries such as China.

Hell no! This type of material is far too sensitive.

nastyleg
07-10-2009, 06:26 PM
excellent. They'll be able to weave right through irans air defenses like nothing.

agreed

Cruelbreed
07-10-2009, 06:27 PM
Excellent. They'll be able to weave right through Irans air defenses like nothing.

Well I'm glad at least somebdy agrees. It just seems now a days with these economic conditions certain unecessary risks are taken. This mike certain allies more prone to accept certain amounts of money for say uav tech.

ghost
07-10-2009, 08:03 PM
Well I'm glad at least somebdy agrees. It just seems now a days with these economic conditions certain unecessary risks are taken. This mike certain allies more prone to accept certain amounts of money for say uav tech.

Yup. Like the Israel-Russia UAV sales. I just find it weird and ironic, because Russia is also selling the S-300 missiles to Iran..... Oh the complications of politics.....:hb:

Yono
07-12-2009, 04:09 AM
Well, they may be able to weave right into Iran without being noticed, but the explosion will be noticed and they will know it is us.

The after-math could create a costly war, which is the only reason why we havent attacked Iran yet. Sure if it was Iran Vs. Israel 1v1 we would kick there asses, but they do have more troops then us, and we would have alot of casualties that cant be as easily replaced as Iran can replace her troops.

Ughhhhhh what a fucked up situation. If we dont blow the reactors up, then Iran will most likley have a nuke, and use it on us. The blast would be big enought to destroy Israel in one go.

If we do blow it up, then there is a very big chance Iran will declare war, and bombard us with rocket-strikes anyways. Probabley an invasion as well backed up by Syria, Jordan, Lebonan maybe even Egypt. The truth is, all those countries have OK armies. Now improved with much better weapons.

Not like back then during the 6 day war.
But then again, we have evep better equipment but not nearly the same amount of troops. Chances are we win, but with heavy casualties.....

Like I said, fucked up situation.