PDA

View Full Version : On this day in the Vietnam War July 6th

bobdina
07-06-2009, 12:08 PM
1966-Hanoi Radio reports that captured American pilots have been paraded though the streets of Hanoi through jeering crowds.
1967-North Vietnam's Politburo makes the decision to launch a widespread offensive against South Vietnam. Conceived in three phases, the first phase involves attacks against remote border areas in an effort to lure American troops away from South Vietnam's cities. The second phase (Tet Offensive) will be an attack against the cities themselves by Viet Cong forces aided by NVA troops, in the hope of igniting a "general uprising" to overthrow the government of South Vietnam. The third phase involves the actual invasion of South Vietnam by NVA troops coming from North Vietnam.

1968-Cool GI Keeps His Head, Life
CHU LAI, Vietnam (Special) - "When I felt my boot give, I new I had to freeze in place and pray for help."
Spec. 4 Raymond E. Anton of Minneapolis, Minn., a squad leader with Americal Div.'s 196th Infantry Brigade, was describing his reaction when he recently stepped on a Viet Cong mine.
A Co., 2nd Bn., 1st Inf., was on a search and clear mission.
"We were moving through exceptionally difficult terrain when I felt my boot give and I knew right away what had happened," Anton said.
When Capt. George Hamm, of Daniels, W. Va., company commander, arrived at the head of the lead platoon, he worked 25 minutes to dismantle the mine.

1970-After almost eight weeks of routing through hoarded enemy supplies, the 25th Division is back from Cambodia.
The last unit to return was the 3rd Squadron, 4th Cavalry, which had been under the operational control of the 1st ARVN Airborne Division. All other units had returned in mid June.
Cambodian operations began for the 25th Division with Operation Bold Lancer when the 1st Brigade slashed into Communist sanctuaries with air assaults and fast-moving mechanized units.
The surprised enemy fled. He offered almost no resistance, fighting only when he couldn’t avoid the US troops sweeping through areas formerly safe for the NVA.
On May 10, the 2nd Brigade stabbed into Cambodia with Operation Toan Thang 43 north of the Dog’s Face cutting off enemy escape routes from the Fish Hook region and ripping into enemy training and resupply areas.
The next day, four battalions surrounded what was believed to be part of the Central Office for South Vietnam (COSVN) headquarters. As the US units tightened their grip on the area, they squeezed out the largest numbers of caches during the operation to that point.
The 1st Brigade withdrew from the area below the Dog’s Face and units were rotated in the more productive area to the north. For weeks the laborious search went on as US forces conducted a grid square by grid square search of the plentiful cache sites.
As the operation drew to a close, the enemy became active, but, as one commander pointed out, it was a little late. So much materiel had been captured that the figures had become almost meaningless.
Shortly before the 3/4 Cav came back, the list ran something like this: more than 700 small arms captured, 130 crew served weapons, 45 tons of ammunition, 1,700 tons of rice, 58 vehicles, 5,760 pounds of communications equipment, 13,900 pounds of medical supplies and 1,500 pounds of documents.