PDA

View Full Version : Post your Pot Hole stories

shatto
04-12-2015, 07:27 PM
The April 11 newspaper column asked for Pothole Stories. I have two.

San Rafael Story:
Coming from Richmond, I had just merged from the 405 onto the 101 Freeway northbound, across the freeway into the fast lane; head on a swivel checking the mirrors of my truck, I was "clearing" to make sure traffic was where I thought it was, speeds matched and such when WHAM my head bounced off the side window! Stunned I did what I'd trained to do and let go of the wheel, cars will automatically go straight. Between RAB Motors and Best Buy is a Freeway sign sprouting from the center median wall. It has been there a long time, so long that the roadbed sank exposing the foundation of the sign and making a bump in the number one land almost a foot high. Commuters learned to brace for the bump and I usually did, but this time I missed.
Enraged, spent the evening sending emails containing a blistering description of the event, explaining my continuing migraine, the possible danger of someone who failed to control after impact, savvy drivers swerving into the next lane to avoid the bump, that I would make a claim against Cal Trans should there be damage to me or my truck and that they were risking peoples lives by not rectifying the problem.. I had been so angry I had made a side-trip to re-drive and photograph the offending section of road. Then, because I believe that if a little is good, a lot must be better, I sent copies to everybody remotely involved; the Governor, Cal Trans, CHP, Sheriff, the City of San Rafael, TV, radio and newspapers, friends, relatives, everybody I could think of.
I don't know if what I did worked but the road was fixed within a month.
Oops! That wasn't a pothole story, it was a bump story. But it does teach that speaking up works.

Burlingame Story:
Zipping south on 101 on a rainy day .... now you know that was a long time ago ....
Driving my small pickup in the number one lane, I saw a chunk of something in the middle, a bit too large to straddle so I decided to go around on the left.
BOOM it felt like a giant had hit me with a telephone pole! Driving carefully a bit, I determined the truck and I survived. But I noticed six to eight vehicles with flat tires for the next couple miles.
I have a lifetime alignment with Firestone so went and had the un-aligned suspension re-aligned. Then I went to my tire store and they replaced a tire on warranty but I bought another because the tread wear has to match, then I made a claim with Cal Trans who repaid me for my discomfort. Two new Michelin tires for free. Goody.
Just goes to show; it is good to speak up, and to know what you can do.

bgbllbffr
04-14-2015, 06:32 AM
we had to dig 90 holes1380313804