PDA

View Full Version : Marines Turning KC-130 Refuelers Into AC-130 like attack aircraft

LetsTripOutAndDie
10-10-2014, 12:15 AM
The marines are converting their KC-130's to KC-130j Harvest Hawks. The new version will hold 10 griffin missiles I believe and 4 hellfire's along with the AH-Z Cobras targeting system and a few other gadgets including adding a 30mm cannon like the Cobras or the Apaches since they haven't decided yet I'm not sure. I personally don't get why they don't convert these KC-130 Refuelers into AC-130's considering how badly they are needed and with the troops begging on their hands and knees almost for the military to give or build more AC-130's for them but instead they're taking some of the last AC-130 planes and adding a few things which can't hold a candle to an AC-130's firepower. If they wanted griffin and hellfire missiles the AC-130's could of carried 8 or more hellfire missiles at least and more then 10 griffin missiles. I'm so pissed off I honestly believe they want to get rid of the AC-130's but can't figure out why.

serpa6
10-25-2014, 09:09 PM
The marines are converting their KC-130's to KC-130j Harvest Hawks. The new version will hold 10 griffin missiles I believe and 4 hellfire's along with the AH-Z Cobras targeting system and a few other gadgets including adding a 30mm cannon like the Cobras or the Apaches since they haven't decided yet I'm not sure. I personally don't get why they don't convert these KC-130 Refuelers into AC-130's considering how badly they are needed and with the troops begging on their hands and knees almost for the military to give or build more AC-130's for them but instead they're taking some of the last AC-130 planes and adding a few things which can't hold a candle to an AC-130's firepower. If they wanted griffin and hellfire missiles the AC-130's could of carried 8 or more hellfire missiles at least and more then 10 griffin missiles. I'm so pissed off I honestly believe they want to get rid of the AC-130's but can't figure out why.
True bud very true. But a few years ago they where finding crack's in alot of the AC130 air frames and they just have about run out of options to fix them.
But it took a long time for the planes to start showing there wear. Excellent plane, should go down in history like the A10 and the B52.
Talk about CAS support planes, has anyone seen the new plane in development its prop driven and can carry as much as the A10 and is low and slow, it is also in trails right now