PDA

View Full Version : A lot of truth in the article, and a really good read.

BrendenF11
03-17-2014, 08:39 AM
http://www.oafnation.com/musings-of-a-grey-man/2014/3/10/when-the-music-stops

I've had many talks with some of the guys who I have served with, and they all feel the same. One of my buddies, currently in Astan, was talking with me the other day. He said, "We are going to completely pull out of this shit hole country. Can you believe that?", this is his 1st time in Afghanistan but did three tours in Iraq. I said, "Yeah then it's that ride home and starting a good life." He said, "Why the fuck would I want to do that? What the hell am I going to do without a war to fight?"

I found his comments eerie, and found that they also ring true with myself. Without that rush and adrenaline flowing through your veins, it almost seems pointless but is certainly boring and mundane.

jamieooh
03-17-2014, 10:19 PM
Never been to war, but I did notice that after I got out of the Army my friendships did not feel the same.
The civilian world doesn't seem to have the team work. With maybe the exception of a few careers ( police , fire ect)
Maybe it's just me.

serpa6
03-17-2014, 10:58 PM
Never been to war, but I did notice that after I got out of the Army my friendships did not feel the same.
The civilian world doesn't seem to have the team work. With maybe the exception of a few careers ( police , fire ect)
Maybe it's just me.
I agree with you even thought i was ARNG it was not the same as when i had not joined When i came back Friendships where not the same even with people i grew up with, It was not them it was me they where very proud that i was in and did my time and alot of them followed suit. But i did notice i had at least 5 other friends that served in different parts of the military, but after we where all out we where closer then we where before When it came to doing certain things, if one of us had to stay behind we just did not do that thing or we all pitched in I guess the part of our motto sticks with us through life No one left behind. I am glad i served in I never had combat time I wish i had the only rush i ever got was house clearing but I know it does not compare with being in the fight I wish i had got behind the trigger for a tour or 2.:USA: