PDA

View Full Version : Is Windows XP Dieing?

shatto
01-21-2014, 06:42 PM
Is XP Dieing?
The article said XP was going to exit faster than previously
thought because support by the secondary market as well as
the manufacturer would rapidly go away, in spite of the
large number of computers worldwide still using it.

Has it begun? Are the walls already crumbling?
Below are the symptoms that make me think so.

My computer is always on. Good? Bad? Who knows?
But here is what happens, automatically, every day:

* Microsoft Security Essentials does a complete "Full Scan."
* Microsoft Updates are downloaded.
* AVG Antivirus Free does it's protection thing. (no firewall)

Here is what I do every day:

* Clear "History" 2-3 times a day.
* Run SUPERAntiSpyware "Complete Scan" nightly.
* Use Windows Task Manager to "End the Process" of Firefox,
when it sucks-up all the RAM 2,3,4 or more times a day.
* Run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Full Scan.
* Run Windows Disc Cleanup 2,2,4 times a day.

And, weekly go into "Safe Mode" and:

* Run all of the above.
* Run CCleaner.
* Run Spybot Search & Destroy.

STILL, the computer is slow.
A few to many seconds are needed to perform a function.
It has begun "locking-Up."
"Restart" has no affect.
Total shut-down makes no difference.

Now what?

BrendenF11
01-21-2014, 11:01 PM
Backup all the files that you need or want. Then clear your hard drive, and do a fresh install. Put all of the stuff you want back onto the computer and you should be 10 times quicker.

Or upgrade your machines speed to what it was when you first bought it.

Then again I just upgraded my PC to a is7 3.5GHz quad core with 16 GB RAM. Running windows 8.1, after working with it and getting used to it, it isn't all that bad, and it is super quick.

serpa6
01-21-2014, 11:39 PM
I would definitely take Brens advice. But make sure you have access to all your updates to your windows xp. Updated drivers for your video card your chip set on your motherboard and when you do format your hard drive do it 2twice and not the fast format use the slower one if you have a backup partition format that to.
Just make sure you have all you pictures personal files backed up. Reason why i say make sure you format twice and the back up partition is that if you have a virus and its a timed virus that has not been written into any of your virus or spyware updates yet. People can be funny they will take an old virus script and re write it and It will reemerge later on and you will have the same problems, this happen to me last year, i formatted my main partition and did a fresh install and about 2 weeks later the same thing happened and the virus reared its ugly face come to find out it was a timed virus and migrated to the backup partition of the Hardrive.
About XP I doubt it will die anytime soon as i still see it being runned in banks doctors offices and alot of businesses.
Mozilla do not download the latest version which i think is 26.0 i have had nothing but problems with it and i don't see any updates so far and it has been awhile Download a earlier version and you should do fine with your browser. I know it sucks all that work but i hope it helps

PS to find out your info on your computer open the command window if you don't know where that is hit the windows key and in the search box type dxdiag and hit enter it will gather all the info on your computer and show you what hardware what version you are running etc etc

shatto
02-25-2014, 09:16 PM
* My antique, steam-powered, Soviet computer bit the dust.
It wasn't XP becoming obsolete, it was some capacitors on
the motherboard swelling and beginning to fail, causing
weird, unpredictable behavior.
So I gave my computer guy $340.00 for a prettier box with a
dual-core processor, more RAM and more of the other stuff
that makes this almost pretty-much modern. Ohboy!