View Full Version : On this day in the Vietnam war june 28th

bobdina
06-28-2009, 01:49 PM
1965: U.S. forces launch first offensive

1970- Leaves NVA Behind
Daring Downed Flyer Evades Enemies
By SP4 RICH DOMBROWICKI
CU CHI - “I never thought I’d get away alive.”
Warrant Officer Kenneth E. Thiem, a helicopter pilot with the 25th Infantry Division’s 3rd Brigade, had been shot down, killed three enemy soldiers and cheated death a half-dozen times, all within about two and one half hours.
He had been flying a routine mission over a thick rubber plantation when his light observation helicopter (LOH) received ground fire. Bullets ripped through the motor and flooring, wounding Thiem in both arms and legs with shrapnel.
“At the time I didn’t even feel it. I guess I was too busy to feel the pain.”
Thiem, of Florence, S.C., maintained control of the aircraft down to treetop level when the rotor struck a tree and sent the chopper spinning to the ground.
“The rotor blade broke off and struck a glancing blow that split my helmet in two. A harder shot would have crushed my skull.”
Dazed and shaken, Thiem found himself pinned in by the instrument panel. He struggled free, grabbed a rifle and started off on foot.
“It all happened so damned fast that I never had a chance to use the radio.
“I lost all sense of direction after hitting the trees, and suddenly I was running right at a machine gun and about 10 NVA. I was dumbstruck - and so were they.”
Taking advantage of the enemy’s surprise, Thiem fired a quick burst into the group, killing three and sending the others to cover. He raced back to the wrecked chopper, grabbed additional ammunition and ran for his life as bullets cracked around him.
Hastily recalling his position, he raced off in a direction he mistakenly thought was towards Dau Tieng.
“I ran through the woods and brush until it felt like my lungs would burst. I didn’t think I had a chance, but I knew I had to keep going. When you’re out there all alone with about 20 NVA on your trail, you run as fast as you can.”
Then began a run-rest cycle that was to save the young officer’s life. Again and again he fought his way through the thick undergrowth until exhausted. Then he’d stop to regain his wind until the pursuing enemy set him off and running again.
“Once I got down into a shallow bomb crater where I burned my SOI and waited for them. The sun was high and hot. I felt dizzy and got sick to my stomach. But when I saw them coming, I fired off a burst and headed for the woods again.”
Meanwhile, an air search was underway for the overdue flyer. Twenty-fifth Division helicopters and Air Force forward air controllers (FACs) combed the area for signs of the missing LOH.
In two hours Thiem had plowed through nearly three miles of dense woods.
“The jungle helped to cut down the enemy’s firing potential, but it tore me to shreds.”
Then he spotted a clearing.
“It was an abandoned fire support base (FSB Quick) that I had forgotten about.”
The weakened airman, drained, dehydrated and near collapse, made his way to a drainage ditch for cover.
“There I hoped I would be spotted from the air while I held off the NVA. I knew they had to be searching for me by that time.”
Then a glimmer of hope appeared for the beleaguered pilot. A FAC from the 25th Tactical Air Control Party flew high over the area and Thiem ripped off his tatered shirt and waved it frantically.
“The Bronco pilot spotted me. Those guys have really good eyes. It was a race to see who would reach me first - a chopper or the Commies.”
Thiem discovered he had only four rounds left.
“I figured this was it. I had to stay there and hope that I could hold them off until help came. And I knew I couldn’t go any further - I was just too worn out.”
Within minutes, fellow 3rd Brigade pilot, Warrant Officer Craig Tate, sped his LOH into the area.
“I landed as quickly as I could as Thiem stumbled toward me,” said Tate, of Riverside, Calif. “He dove into the back seat and screamed, ‘Get the hell out of here!”
The LOH sped up and away. The men looked back to see several NVA emerge from the woods and watch helplessly as the chopper flew out of range to safety.
Thiem, who already holds one Distinguished Flying Cross and a Bronze Star for Valor, slumped in his seat and just breathed.
1972: Nixon announces draftees will not go to Vietnam