PDA

View Full Version : FULL 10min footage of fatal firefight leaked

bu187
07-07-2013, 12:12 PM
http://www.apacheclips.com/boards/vbtube/upload/thumb/937_51159.jpg (http://www.apacheclips.com/boards/vbtube_show.php?tubeid=4023) Military police are investigating how unedited footage showing New Zealand soldiers in a fatal Afghan firefight was leaked on to the internet.

The expletive-laden footage, taken on a helmet-mounted camera and lasting for more than 10 minutes, shows the incident at Baghak in August last year where Lance Corporals Rory Malone and Pralli Durrer were killed.

It was released on to YouTube last week and differs vastly from a sanitised version released some months ago by the New Zealand Defence Force.

A defence force spokesman said the footage showed the intensity of the situation during the Baghak incident.

"The action that took place on 4 August was a very complex, chaotic and intense firefight. It is the most complex firefight NZ Defence Force personnel have been involved in since Vietnam.

"Our soldiers performed well under fire, our weapons systems worked effectively, international air support was able to be called in, and lives were saved as a result of the actions of our personnel.

"In spite of the extreme pressure that the soldiers were under, everyone who was involved in this contact displayed our core values of courage, comradeship, commitment and integrity."

The spokesman said the defence force had edited the footage to create a "comprehensible snapshot" of what happened and to render the footage suitable for public viewing.

"NZDF is aware the unedited footage is in circulation.There is no information in the film on Youtube which has not already been made public. The footage does not compromise or risk operational security."

The spokesman said Military Police were investigating how the footage was posted, including whether a serving defence force member was involved.

© Fairfax NZ Newshttp://www.apacheclips.com/boards/vbtube/images/play_thread.png (http://www.apacheclips.com/boards/vbtube_show.php?tubeid=4023)

Grendel
07-07-2013, 02:55 PM
Is that a female? A female grunt? Or is she Cav? What a shitstorm.

Hellfreeza
07-07-2013, 03:10 PM
she sounds more like a reporter.

Clodius
07-07-2013, 05:58 PM
I love her and want to give her some genes.

schwit
07-07-2013, 11:36 PM
Women do not belong in infantry units. Operating combat vehicles in combat is fine but they are too distracting in this kind of situation. The ignorant politicians and PC crowd think you can turn off a million years of evolution with a policy. It will get people killed.

ccook5
07-07-2013, 11:43 PM
spot on schwit.

laxaddict992
07-08-2013, 12:34 AM
Shes distracting as fuck. Imagine if she got hit? I can only imagine what a clusterfuck that would have been

bmgtz
07-08-2013, 06:42 AM
brave guys our Kiwi mates....camera person needs a refresher course

fiddlesticks12
07-09-2013, 05:42 AM
Well she knows the grunts' word for the GPMG 'gimpy' so she could be a soldier...not infantry as the soldier in front told her she wasn't allowed to use it

Moose
07-09-2013, 08:34 AM
In one frame of the video you can see that she has a rifle so she is military and not civie. Other than that I would imagine this video portrays the lack of control one might feel in a situation like that (not being in contact and hearing buddies in contact). I think she’s just nervous as would anyone be in that situation (speaking to herself, thinking out loud) yeas can be distracting but I am sure others do it too. The problem and the positive side is that a woman’s voice can be heard clearer. The higher pitch cuts thru and that can be an advantage but also a disadvantage if what’s cutting thru is nervous chatter.

16BNRWAR
07-10-2013, 09:23 AM
Jesus the fucking Talibs picked the ground for that fight didn't they? What a nightmare spot to get into a serious shit fight as opposed to a bit of harassing fire...I am all for equality and affirmative action for women in 99% of roles that males fill, in and outside the armed forces. However, in combat is not one of the 1%, I am no apologist for the view that some things are just not meant to be, the whole eveolution of humans from our living in a swamp till today has been based around the very simple genetic fact that men are stronger, and capable of high stress demands like combat to be able to last longer, not be a burden to the group and move forward into danger. Women, yes they hold positions of high stress and hold them well, emergency doctors, police, pilots etc but the physical demands of combat outweigh all of that in that they just do not have the body and muscle mass to sustain combat operations, they can sustain say a shift as a copper where the likelihood of unremitting stress and exertion is a lot lower. To have women in combat because Germaine Greer or some other Liberal equality hippy says they deserve the same opportunities will get people killed, women nurture, men protect, biology 101.

paddywhack
07-10-2013, 04:53 PM
Get the fuck put of that choke point!!!!

b__Rad
07-13-2013, 09:19 PM
@16BNRWAR

Yep, those damn dumbass liberal hippies are always fucking something up aren't they? They fucked up the labor sector with unions that got kids out of sweat shops, created collective bargaining agreements that promote living wages, they were the people that brought you THE WEEKEND, overtime pay, medicare, medicaid, Social Security. Complete bunch of fuck ups if you ask me...

serpa6
07-13-2013, 10:34 PM
Women belong in this war espicailly this one. As you all know Taliban have no respect for women but yes we have women that would take there knife and stab them in the throat with out hesitation and as far as biology 101 take that attitude hunting when you come across a female bear and her cubs I bet you will lose big time or even a human mother will protect her family I get what you are all saying about the distraction and all But I would rather have a women fighting beside me then some rainbow painting he she when it comes to fighting the fight What about our female pilots that will kill anything that try's to ambush our troops they will kill without hesitation.

ccook5
07-18-2013, 03:25 PM
@serpa6, you have have a valid point but there has been studies that show over a deployment, a womans body deteriorates quicker than their male counterparts. In short women are not built for heavy combat and history has shown that and they should stay away from infantry. Other than that I believe all other MOS's should be opened to women

Warmachine
08-04-2013, 05:31 AM
She is not Infantry, Women are not allowed in the infantry in NZ. She will be a medic, This patrol would have probably just been to a village to provide medical care and the Afghans won't let a male medic touch their sick women. Remember Jessica lynch, not in a combat role but sometimes the fight finds you no matter what your role in the military.

Fyall
01-02-2015, 10:34 PM
Get the fuck out of the kill zone and let Crazy Horse clean that shit up. For fucks sake. And I don't care if the is a chick calling the shots. Just sayin'...