PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts About the 19 Firemen

shatto
07-02-2013, 04:50 PM
Dear Editor.
My thoughts on the Firemen,

Nineteen members of the Granite Mountain Hotshots, based in Prescott, Ariz., were killed Sunday evening when a windblown wildfire overcame them north of Phoenix.
It was the deadliest single day for U.S. firefighters since Sept. 11.

The news affected me especially because I recently read a book, that had strong images of fire fighting. The book; "Chasing Fire" follows a fire season of a station of Missoula Smoke-jumpers, called the Zulie who parachute into fires. They are usually on the side of the fire the fire trucks and lines of firemen and Hot Shots can't reach.

On the ground all fire crews, from the city, county and state crews from far away places to the military and prison fire fighters, all face hot, sweaty, smelly, exhausting, dangerous team-work that is as supremely satisfying at mission-end as it is for any special operator of the military. And as deadly when things go wrong.

I mourn the loss of these special fire fighters.

Yet, because their life revolved around protecting the rest of us, I include them and their families who understand a fireman's calling, with the rest of the warrior class; so, like a father, son or brother, I am incredibly proud for them.

Michael Shatto,
Concord, California.