PDA

View Full Version : Army tells Sikh officers to change appearance

bobdina
06-23-2009, 02:31 AM
Army tells Sikh officers to change appearance

By Tony Lombardo - Staff writer

Torn between their Sikh faith and their military duty, two soldiers are fighting Army policy that requires them to shave their beards, cut their hair and remove their turbans.

“I don’t think it’s fair for anybody to ask me to choose between my religion and my country,” Capt. Kamaljeet Kalsi said. “Shaving my beard and taking off my turban — these are part of my body. It’s part of my being.”

Kalsi, a doctor trained in emergency medicine, and 2nd Lt. Tejdeep Singh Rattan, a dentist, were first recruited for the Army’s Health Professions Scholarship Program. Kalsi said the recruiters with the Army Medical Corps gave assurances that wearing a beard and turban — mandatory articles of the Sikh faith — would not be a problem. And during several years of graduate school and medical training, Kalsi and Rattan both said their beards and turbans drew no concerns.

Now facing active duty in July, Kalsi and Rattan said their superiors are no longer accepting of their religious accommodations. As a result, the soldiers, through a civil rights group called the Sikh Coalition, recently filed formal complaints with the Army Inspector General’s Office and the Defense Department.

Army spokesman Lt. Col. Nathan Banks, in a prepared statement, said that while the Army places a “high value” on religious freedoms, special exceptions to regulation are not guaranteed.

“There are times when the Army cannot accommodate for religious reasons, such as when those religious observations would interfere with the wear of proper military headgear or protective clothing or equipment,” Banks said.

Kalsi, a 32-year-old New Jersey native, said he represents the fourth generation of military service in his family. He hopes his 3-month-old son, Kabir, will represent the fifth.

“This is a struggle for acceptance for our community,” Kalsi said. “The greatest nation in the world, the United States, is so diverse. We’re at the forefront of freedom throughout the world, and yet we have an army that doesn’t accurately reflect the diversity of its people.”
http://www.militarytimes.com/news/2009/04/army_sikhs_042509w/

bobdina
06-23-2009, 02:31 AM
Any opinions?

nastyleg
06-23-2009, 02:41 AM
removed due to double posting

nastyleg
06-23-2009, 02:48 AM
hmm hard one bobdina
I understand religious freedoms in this country are sacred. The US Army reconizes all relegions except Satanism. I say let them keep the beard (turbin is a bit much) in the simple fact that religous leaders in the military are aloud to display the religion they preach so I why not let them keep the beard minus the Turbin.

bobdina
06-23-2009, 03:04 AM
I agree but I have read many comments to the editor (Army Times) and posts saying how could they put they're gas masks on with the thick beards as a matter of fact I would say 95% of the writers used this excuse. I think that's a little much one's a dentist gotta watch out for that laughing gas and the other is an emergency room doctor. Don't think they have too much to worry about gas attacks. They could be in private practice making a hell of a lot more money with no heart aches . Keep the beards ditch the turbans. Bob

nastyleg
06-23-2009, 03:06 AM
The hole in the gas mask theory is that they would have to stop all of our SF teams from growing beards if that the case.

nastyleg
06-23-2009, 03:23 AM
The whole gas mask argument cant filter out the sinky problem within itself. We would have to make it mandatory to have our SF soldiers shave everyday if that theory were to be inacted Army wide. They would have to remove the leway given to SF so they can be fair and just about the matter. The beard is very important to them so is not shaving to SF. Beard is a religous symble to the Sikh officers. The beard is an important tool to SF to help them gain the trust and respect of Afghan leaders(sign of manhood in Afghanistan). Not to mention it helps them blend in as well.

scoutsout80
06-23-2009, 10:21 AM
I say rules are rules, you must abide by them....did the Army pay for their medical training, did not see if this was the case....if so, they have them over a barrel. Personally, I don't give a rats arse what they look like but regulations are regulations for a reason.

bobdina
06-23-2009, 12:35 PM
I say rules are rules, you must abide by them....did the Army pay for their medical training, did not see if this was the case....if so, they have them over a barrel. Personally, I don't give a rats arse what they look like but regulations are regulations for a reason.

I don't know how it works with doctors, they were already in school when approached by the Army's medical recruiter so there is no mention if the Army then picked up the tab or not. You make a good point that I did not think about, if the Army paid for your schooling then they own you as far as I'm concerned unless you pay them pack the full amount they spent on you . Which if the Army did pay would be a shitload as these guy's when to Graduate school in addition to all the medical schooling.

ghost
06-23-2009, 12:50 PM
Let em keep the beard. Lose the turbans.

Cruelbreed
06-23-2009, 02:30 PM
Keep the beards keep the turbans throw them in with some special forces troop where they blend. I guess what I'm trying to say is there has to be a condition where it's optimal to notmbother changing their look.

nastyleg
06-23-2009, 05:41 PM
Well as far as I know All officers pay back the Army by serving a certain amount of time not money. Will all of the exceptions made for officers in the first place what is one more.

Cruelbreed
06-23-2009, 06:04 PM
LOL didn't we have a similar article at some point in which some police force was intersted in creating bullet proof turbans in order to get past this issue and increase recruitment. I thought it was in England due to their growing population of immigrants but hotdamn it's obviously an issue in the united states now too

GTFPDQ
06-24-2009, 12:47 AM
When I was in, I came across a few Sikhs. All were great guys, worked their bollocks off and had a laugh with the rest of us. But one of the guys would appear at discos without his turban, drinking and trying to pick up girls. Long hair was in at the time, so he knew what he was doing. Pissed us off, but pissed the real Sikhs of even more.

I admire the Sikhs, a long warrior history. I dont see why they cant be allowed to wear their turbans, beards and still carry out their duties. They know the risks they take in certain circumstances and that is on them and they know it.

As long as there are no security implications, then leave 'em alone. Not like they are wearing Burkas with an AK and a explosive belt on, is it?