PDA

View Full Version : Great Uncles letters from the Front WWI

GTFPDQ
06-09-2009, 01:38 AM
My Mother died in November last year. Over the past few months, I have had some of her personal effects sent from Scotland to my home here in Canada. Old family pics and paperwork. She had started to put together a family tree and had a huge amount of marriage, birth and death certificates.

I was sitting going through these the other night when I came across reproduced (retyped) letter from my Great Uncle from the First World War. All in all there were about twenty letters home. They were fascinating as he was on the front line and asking for a pipe or chocolate or fruit cakes. Only clipped references to artillery barrages or "going hunting" across no mans land.

Sadly he was killed in action in 1916. Obviously I never knew him, but just reading those few letters was like being introduced to him. If I find the time, I might try to post his words.

Any interest?

Scott
06-09-2009, 07:19 AM
wow, thats sounds amazing and heart rendering... im interested to hear the words he had wrote, please do my friend.

Stark
06-09-2009, 09:50 AM
oh yes - if they are not too personal for you share them that would be awesome.

i had a similar experience – I am adopted and never had any contact to my biological parents (mother – father died a short time after I got officially adopted) – when I was small my parents would tell me that my real parents died on a car accident (including my mother) which they later told me wasn’t the case (the real story is a little to private so I cannot share with you what was wrong with my Biological mother).

My father wrote me also letters which I got later on and it was real weird reading them – he was talking about me being small and that he doesn't know what to do and what the right thing is todo - the letters when from "I am very excited to take Nico back" to "I'm not sure if it is the right thing for me to take him back" in a matter of moth, at that point I knew already that he was dead and what has happened to him and I was for the first time very aware that there was somebody alive a while back who was my biological father – quite a strange experience which I only topped by actually after a long time research finding my mother’s telephone number and it took me a while to gather my balls to actually call her.
When I had her on the phone it was a really weird experience – like talking to somebody you know for all your life (just the sound of her voice) my adopted mother explained to me back in the days that if a child is growing up in the belly they can hear all these vibrations and the voice which you never really forget.
So it was sad and kinda strange talking to her – sadly after me doing the first step she never really followed up and I am in the middle of giving this another chance or just forgetting all
About it.