PDA

View Full Version : With Odds Of A Draft Remote, Lawmakers Say Millions Spent On Registration Is A Waste

LetsTripOutAndDie
02-25-2013, 11:16 AM
WASHINGTON – *Two lawmakers are waging a little-noticed campaign to abolish the Selective Service System, the independent federal agency that manages draft registration.
They say the millions of dollars the agency spends each year preparing for the possibility of a military draft is a waste of money.
Reps. Peter DeFazio, D-Ore., and Rep. Mike Coffman, R-Colo., say the Pentagon has no interest in returning to conscription due to the success of the all-volunteer force.
The Selective Service has a budget of $24 million and a full-time staff of 130. It maintains a database of about 17 million potential male draftees. In the event of a draft, the agency would mobilize as many as 11,000 volunteers to serve on local draft boards that would decide if exemptions or deferments to military service were warranted.
The Selective Service is an "inexpensive insurance policy," said Lawrence Romo, the agency's director. "We are the true backup for the true emergency."
Men between the ages of 18 and 25, who often register online or by mail, who don't register with the Selective Service can be charged with a felony. The Justice Department hasn't prosecuted anyone for that offense since 1986.
There can be other consequences, though. Failing to register can mean the loss of financial aid for college, being refused employment with the federal government, and denied U.S. citizenship.
DeFazio says it makes no sense to threaten to penalize men who don't register when the odds of a draft are so remote.
Attempts to get rid of the agency have failed, DeFazio says, because too many of his colleagues on Capitol Hill worry that closing Selective Service down will make them look weak on national security.
"There is no one who wants this except 'chicken hawk' members of Congress," DeFazio says, using a term to describe a person who pushes for the use of military power but never served in the armed forces. :USA:

jamieooh
02-25-2013, 01:37 PM
I wonder if Congress won't shut down selective service, will they start making women register since the Pentagon is allowing women in combat?

LetsTripOutAndDie
02-25-2013, 06:39 PM
Congress totally forgot that if women can apply for all military jobs now, like combat jobs, then they are now eligible to be drafted along with men if a war where a draft was needed again arouse. So even though congress says only a few women who want combat job in the military will sign up for those jobs don't realise if a draft were to occur not just the few willing women would be assigned combat jobs but thousands of women who never would want such a job would essentially be forced to take them. :duh:

serpa6
02-25-2013, 10:38 PM
I wonder if Congress won't shut down selective service, will they start making women register since the Pentagon is allowing women in combat?

They will never shut it down and there is only one reason. The other answer to that question yes i think they will make them register. Even though we are starting to wind down this summer and start pulling our troops back and home Thank God.
The reason is and just in case of an all out war, that is the only reason it would still exist and I don't think it would be domestic, I think invasion or another world war. Is it possible yes would it happen you never know. Just in case stock up on ammo. Just think if the drug cartels invaded texas. Plenty of targets for everyone :evilgrin:

PS I am not saying this would happen but if they modified the slective service and made all men a women register and the ones that could not make the cut go to work for the defense contractors With the skills that people have they would have to help out with the effort call me crazy but i always go by YOU NEVER KNOW

BrendenF11
02-25-2013, 11:08 PM
It will never happen. Until we live under a one world government, which is far fetched but still possible given scientific advancement, the threat of a massive war which consumes all available humans is far to real. It's human nature to kill one another, and as such war will always exist, and the threat of a war that consumes massive quantities of people and resources is quite real.

Their effort will not pass, regardless of their intentions.

I have no problem with women serving in the military, as long as they meet physical standards, but they should be required to register for the draft. Even if it isn't in combat roles, having them register for noncombat roles frees up others to serve in the line units. It all adds up, and is fair.