PDA

View Full Version : Marine vets want to put flags along busy road But California bans it

bobdina
06-07-2009, 02:02 PM
Marine vets want to put flags along busy road

By Gidget Fuentes - Staff writer
Posted : Friday Jun 5, 2009 17:07:34 EDT

OCEANSIDE, Calif. — It seems like a simple request: Plant 1,000 U.S. flags along a stretch of Interstate 5 aboard Camp Pendleton during Labor Day weekend in September.

But in recent years the 1st Marine Division Association’s effort to mark this and other federal holidays — including Veterans Day — has been met with a firm “no” from California state highway officials, who once allegedly told the veterans group that “if we allow you to do it, then we have to let Saddam Hussein do it,” said retired Col. Len Hayes, the association’s executive director.

The group wants to display the 3-foot-by-5-foot flags along I-5 near Camp Pendleton’s main gate in Oceanside and the exit at Las Pulgas Road to coincide with its first cross-country motorcycle charity ride. The association is asking members to help fund the event by paying $20 to sponsor an Old Glory.

But the California Department of Transportation, which rejected the association’s first request in 2006 and every year since, says a federal appeals court ordered a halt to the agency’s policy that required a permit for the display of banners along state roads but exempted U.S. flags.

“The ruling was all-or-nothing,” said Ed Cartagena, a spokesman for the transportation department. Since then, the agency has permitted no flags, memorials, banners billboards or advertisements on state roads and overpasses.

“If you allow one type, you allow all types,” he said. “If it’s the U.S. flag, then why not … the Mexican flag?”

Hayes said he’s prepared to face “a big ticket” if he’s stopped from placing flags on the state land. Still, his association could turn to the Corps for a potential alternative. In 2006, base officials allowed veterans to place about 350 flags on federal property along I-5. It’s the only time the group has successfully done a large flag display.

bobdina
06-07-2009, 02:19 PM
Personally I think this is fucked. My father is a member of this organization and all they're trying to is mark Veterans day and other U.S. Holidays " if we allow you to do it, then we have to let Saddam Hussein do it,” and thats just outrageous. My point of view anyway

ghost
06-07-2009, 06:18 PM
Bunch of fucking hippies. This is the same kind of government that backed Code Pink, when they were protesting the Marine Recruiting office. Fuck em.

Well, at least they were allowed to place the flags on DOD property.

This is a prime example of America's obsession with political correctness. Fuck California.

Sixx
06-07-2009, 10:15 PM
Bunch of fucking hippies. This is the same kind of government that backed Code Pink, when they were protesting the Marine Recruiting office. Fuck em.

Well, at least they were allowed to place the flags on DOD property.

This is a prime example of America's obsession with political correctness. Fuck California.

I agree, Fuck California and the ACLU...along with code stink.
Destroying the foundation of America.

gundriver22
06-08-2009, 12:21 AM
I agree with the all of you.........................so why do we as Americans put up with this shit? Why do we no tell them "Look, we're Americans. not Mexicans, not Canadians....etc. We're displaying our flags and fuck everyone else who says otherwise." Why can't we do this? Why do we stand for this horse shit? Is everyone really too scared to face the Gov?

nastyleg
06-08-2009, 03:38 AM
Yes on the short hand No on the long hand. No because that's what all Americans do on a daily basis. Who the fuck drives the posted speed limit exactly? Who drives while talking on a cell phone. When it comes to big problems like this it is hard to drum up support from legislatures who will go to bat with you. Thier approval rating is all that matters. Too much of a CYA move on CA part. Our Country Our Flag!

I agree with the all of you.........................so why do we as Americans put up with this shit? Why do we no tell them "Look, we're Americans. not Mexicans, not Canadians....etc. We're displaying our flags and fuck everyone else who says otherwise." Why can't we do this? Why do we stand for this horse shit? Is everyone really too scared to face the Gov?

Krew
06-08-2009, 10:26 PM
Bunch of fucking hippies..... Fuck California.

You mean Commiefornia?

flayedlord
06-12-2009, 09:14 AM
Marine vets want to put flags along busy road

By Gidget Fuentes - Staff writer
Posted : Friday Jun 5, 2009 17:07:34 EDT

OCEANSIDE, Calif. — It seems like a simple request: Plant 1,000 U.S. flags along a stretch of Interstate 5 aboard Camp Pendleton during Labor Day weekend in September.

But in recent years the 1st Marine Division Association’s effort to mark this and other federal holidays — including Veterans Day — has been met with a firm “no” from California state highway officials, who once allegedly told the veterans group that “if we allow you to do it, then we have to let Saddam Hussein do it,” said retired Col. Len Hayes, the association’s executive director.

The group wants to display the 3-foot-by-5-foot flags along I-5 near Camp Pendleton’s main gate in Oceanside and the exit at Las Pulgas Road to coincide with its first cross-country motorcycle charity ride. The association is asking members to help fund the event by paying $20 to sponsor an Old Glory.

But the California Department of Transportation, which rejected the association’s first request in 2006 and every year since, says a federal appeals court ordered a halt to the agency’s policy that required a permit for the display of banners along state roads but exempted U.S. flags.

“The ruling was all-or-nothing,” said Ed Cartagena, a spokesman for the transportation department. Since then, the agency has permitted no flags, memorials, banners billboards or advertisements on state roads and overpasses.

“If you allow one type, you allow all types,” he said. “If it’s the U.S. flag, then why not … the Mexican flag?”

Hayes said he’s prepared to face “a big ticket” if he’s stopped from placing flags on the state land. Still, his association could turn to the Corps for a potential alternative. In 2006, base officials allowed veterans to place about 350 flags on federal property along I-5. It’s the only time the group has successfully done a large flag display.

Why not the Mexican flag? Because this is America, asshole.