PDA

View Full Version : Snail Mail, Fixable?

shatto
02-07-2013, 02:52 PM
The United States Postal Service, writing that caused me to understand why they call it USPS, but I digress.

The new policy of delivering mail only five days a week will undoubtedly cause many outrage, upset and grief but seriously, just how much will things change, I wonder.

I'm wondering if the USPS and Congress have seriously analyzed the 'business' of mail delivery.

I say; "seriously" because they say the problem is the overhead, the cost of doing business. Most all of us can see that income has to exceed expenses for any business to succeed and if costs are too high you cut those costs.
Any management that considers the only possible cure to the cost of doing business raising the cost of stamps a couple of cents is playing games and has no interest in anything more than assuring they get the chance to fix the problem again in the near future.

The Post Office has a well-oiled effective system for receiving and delivering mail. Today it costs too much to operate. Comparison of USPS to FedEx and UPS and smaller outfits down to courier delivery ought to give an idea of the actual cost of delivery because they compete and must have the lowest price along with the assurance of timely delivery. So how can USPS deliver for a fraction of the competition? They can not. Unless the taxpayer subsidizes them.

So, how can the Post Office compete and still fulfill their Constitutional obligation?
The system and structure exists and works.
To reduce operating costs, for many years they have experimented with delivery vehicles using all known fuels; gasoline, diesel, natural gas, hybrid, hydrogen, electricity and maybe more and now they turn off the truck at every stop, something that will prematurely destroy conventional engines, but, they are trying.
They have upgraded machinery, modified and adjusted delivery routes and sorting processes.

There seems to be only two options to bring the Post Office into business reality.

Raising prices to cover costs.
This will outrage those who still want their 5 cent airmail and the ability to trash their junk-mail daily.

Cut delivery of nonessential mail to every other day.
There is no reason mail that must be delivered immediately cannot be delivered immediately. USPS already has guaranteed delivery.
People who shop from what comes in the mail can wait a day, and those advertisers can adjust their sales to accommodate mail delivery and they will be happy to do so because their printing costs will be substantially reduced.

Yes, postal workers will become part-time and join many businesses are already adjusting into the part-time employee mode and more are sure to follow as they see this as a way to avoid the unbearable costs of health insurance which will be part of the major adjustments of the new economy.

MadeInRu
02-07-2013, 05:50 PM
So... your point is?