PDA

View Full Version : Questions About Purchasing My First Firearm

sw1442
01-27-2013, 10:39 PM
Hey yall, I had a few questions I was hoping I might get answered since I know a lot of you are knowledgeable about guns / gun laws...
So I'm 21 years old, and officially a Texas resident but I'm finishing my degree in Ohio right now, going to be here another 3 years, and I want to buy a handgun mostly for target shooting, but also home defense purposes... I've rented at ranges in Texas before, but was too young to own.

Do i have to become a resident of Ohio to buy / own a handgun up here?

What firearm should I choose? I'm not trying to spend more than $750 for the gun and a safe locking carry case.

I really appreciate any insight or advice, thanks Apaches

-Sw

BrendenF11
01-27-2013, 11:59 PM
The last time I had looked into it, you had to go through an FFL in your state of legal residence. Atleast for those that require a background check, other than NICS, such as a handgun, AR-15 or varient of generally. The best way to find out, and to also do more research into your other question of type of firearm, is to stop at a smaller more local gunshop. Strike up a conversation, and browse ask the questions, if they don't know right away they will know quickly enough after you've asked.

Gun laws change frequently from state to state, and it is tough to find specifics on a state that represents an absolute current version of the law.

In regards to what type of handgun, in your price ranger I would suggest a Spingfield, Glock, or Smith and Wesson. I don't like glocks, they don't fit right for myself and I am not as comfortable with them as I am a Springfield or a Smith and Wesson. It's all a matter of personal preference, and testing of a weapon. If you are planning on carrying on a regular basis, and plan to reside or carry in states which offer a carry permit, I would recomend a subcompact. Carry occasionally and sport shooting a compact. Open carry, sport shooting and carrying often something with a 5 inch barrel.

sw1442
01-28-2013, 01:35 PM
thanks, I think I will look into S&W

BrendenF11
02-02-2013, 08:12 PM
NP. Don't be afraid to browse the used guns either. If you haven't fired something before I actually highly recomend it. New doesn't make it better, it just means it hasn't been broken in yet. I bought a 1991A1 Colt compact .45 which is my carry weapon, and it's my second favorite gun I own. Plus the price is reduced, so you don't spend so much on something you might not like.

veritas44
02-03-2013, 08:43 AM
sw1442...
If your going to school in ohio and you will be there three more years. give up your texas DL, get an ohio DL. technically your suppose to maintain residence for 6 months to become a resident but if your going to school and you switch DL's to ohio you should have no problem purchasing a handgun.
By federal law you do not have to be a resident of a state to purchase a rifle...only a handgun. You should be able to purchase an AR-15 or any other rifle without a problem. I'm a reident of tennessee and i have bought rifles in several other states.
As far as what to buy and carry...well it kinda like picking a woman every man has his own thing. I carry a sig 228, glock 19 and 23, a subcompact Kahr in 9mm and a springfield custom 1911 it just depends on what i'm in the mood to carry around or what i'm wearing...it's kind hard to hide a 1911 in a pair of sweat pants.