PDA

View Full Version : US and Russian warships line up in dispute over Georgia

Stark
05-31-2009, 06:34 AM
US and Russian warships took up positions in the Black Sea today in a risky war of nerves on opposing sides of the Georgia conflict.

With the Russians effectively controlling Georgia's main naval base of Poti, Moscow also dispatched the Moskva missile cruiser and two smaller craft on "peacekeeping" duties at the port of Sukhumi on the coast of Abkhazia, the breakaway region that the Kremlin recognised as independent yesterday.

The Americans, wary of escalating an already fraught situation, cancelled the scheduled docking in Poti of the US Coast Guard vessel, the Dallas, and instead sent it to the southern Georgian-controlled port of Batumi, 200km (124 miles) from the Russian ships, where it delivered humanitarian aid.

"Let's hope we don't see any direct confrontation," said Dmitri Peskov, the spokesman for the Russian prime minister, Vladimir Putin, as the Russians challenged the US policy of using military aircraft and ships to deliver relief supplies.

"The decision to deliver aid using Nato battleships is something that hardly can be explained," said Peskov. "It's not a common practice."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/aug/27/georgia.russia1

nastyleg
06-01-2009, 05:40 AM
Why dont they stop the act and just comeout right withthe hammer and sickle again. Time for Russia to come out of the Communist closet again.

ghost
06-01-2009, 01:27 PM
Yup. Cold War all over again. Put your seat belts on.

Woodbutcher824
06-01-2009, 08:15 PM
Yup. Cold War all over again. Put your seat belts on.

(click) I'm ready soon as I find my fucking keys. :excited: :evilgrin:

chriss
06-02-2009, 06:40 AM
the diplomatic relationship between Russia and America go like this:
ass licking-ass kicking-asslicking-asskicking-asslicking-asskicking.
Right now they are asskicking

GTFPDQ
06-03-2009, 04:19 AM
This report was from August 2008. What is funny is that the report only tells of The Dallas (USCGC) but there were 9 other NATO ships there as well.