View Full Version : Refuel Tankers to pack a punch with new weapons systems

bobdina
05-27-2009, 03:36 PM
Refuel
and fire
Tankers to pack a punch with new weapons systems

By Amy McCullough
amccullough@militarytimes.com
Marines on the ground in Afghanistan will soon have more close-air support, but they might be surprised where it’s coming from.
The first souped-up KC-130J tanker — loaded with intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance equipment and armed with wing-mounted Hellfire missiles and eventually an MK44 Bushmaster II 30mm cannon — is expected in theater by the end of the summer, said Maj. J.P. Pellagrino, the KC-130 requirements officer at headquarters Marine Corps.
Still, refueling will remain the aircraft’s primary mission, even when the weapons systems are onboard.
The program, known as Harvest Hawk, will eventually bring removable ISR/munitions kits into the fleet. However, the initial goal is to put two kits on aircraft in Afghanistan and keep one stateside for training, he said.
A targeting sight system — like those that will be on the AH-1Z Cobra Attack helicopter and used to provide long-range electro-optical surveillance, detection and identification capabilities — will be mounted on the back end of an external fuel tank, located on the fuselage just past the engine. One of two wingmounted aerial refueling pods can be removed and replaced with a Hellfire missile rack, although the second refueling pod will remain on at all times so the aircraft’s primary refueling mission can still be accomplished.
When the 30mm cannon is incorporated into the package, the rear parachute door can be lifted off the aircraft and replaced with a modified door that has a hole cut out to make room for the weapon, Pellagrino said. The first modified KC-130J may not include the cannon, but Pellagrino said he expects it to follow shortly after the first kit is operational.
The capabilities have been compared to the Air Force’s AC-130s, which can knock a vehicle out of a convoy with sniper-like accuracy.
The Harvest Hawk is not designed for that type of precision. It will be used to prep a battlefield, keep key pieces of terrain out of enemy hands and support groundbased Marines with suppressivetype fire.
But the pricetag is not as hefty. This firepower comes with only minimal electrical modifications, to make the KC-130J compatible with the new kits, and the Corps could buy 45 KC-130Js for the same price as 12 AC-130s.
“We’re trying to stress that the Marine Corps is not building a gunship. We’re building a mission kit that can be used on our KC-130J aircraft that takes advantage of its extended on-station time and its endurance. We want to maintain the primary mission of the KC-130,” Pellagrino said.
The Corps wants to procure nine kits, with three going to each of the three active-duty KC130J squadrons, spokesman Maj. Eric Dent said. The two Reserve squadrons, which have yet to upgrade to the J models, will not receive kits but will have the opportunity to train and use the equipment if future missions require it.
A $22.8 million contract was awarded to Lockheed Martin on May 8 for testing and integration of the first kit. The other two initial kits, all from Lockheed, are expected to cost roughly $29 million, Pellagrino said.
Miramar Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron 352 will receive the first three kits as well as the first modified aircraft to support the kits.
“We see this as a complementary capability and not something that is trying to replace the [KC130J’s] primary mission capability. The benefit is that we can provide overwatch of our Marines while they are in combat for long periods of time, and we also will have the ability, if needed, to engage with munitions,” Pellagrino said.

ghost
05-27-2009, 04:52 PM
Yeah, I heard about that. Although, I don't understand why you'd want a gun on a flying gas station..... Just doesn't seem like a very smart idea. Although, if they were going to do the same thing, just minus the refueling equipment, then that would be fine(and it would still cost less than an AC-130).

bobdina
05-28-2009, 11:56 AM
Most long endurance aircraft are flying gas tanks. I think thats why they went with the helfires and just 1 30mm cannon. From what i've seen they're saying theres no more risk with the fuel onboard then to any other aircraft(still takes balls to fly them or be a gunner on one). The reson they're doing it with tankers is to not tread on the Air forces turf of flying ac-130's(from what I read not my opinion). Some of what I've seen The Corps has went out of it's way to say these are refuelers first. Still good to know inter service rivlary is alive and well. Thats why the Army had to give up on it's portion of the C-27 aircraft. Te Army was supposed to have the majority of those no there not going to have any just the Air Force.