PDA

View Full Version : What a waste of a career

SATX
11-09-2012, 08:34 PM
I knew when I saw news of Petraeus' resignation this morning that something was about to go public. No one just jumps up all of a sudden as says I am going to resign for the good of the service and the country.

Now we know why.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/11/09/petraeus-resigns-as-cia-director/

CIA Director David Petraeus resigned Friday after admitting to an extramarital affair -- an affair with his biographer that was revealed over the course of an FBI investigation, Fox News has learned.

The FBI had been investigating an unrelated and much broader case before stumbling on the affair. Fox News has learned that during the course of this investigation, the name of biographer Paula Broadwell came up. The FBI followed that lead and in doing so, uncovered his affair with her. The FBI for some time was concerned that perhaps Petraeus was some sort of victim, but there has been no evidence discovered to back up such concerns.

Broadwell co-wrote Petraeus' biography, "All In."

Petraeus met with President Obama on Thursday before submitting his letter of resignation, which the president accepted. In a message to staff, Petraeus said he asked "to be allowed" to step down.

"After being married for over 37 years, I showed extremely poor judgment by engaging in an extramarital affair. Such behavior is unacceptable, both as a husband and as the leader of an organization such as ours," the retired four-star general said. "This afternoon, the President graciously accepted my resignation."

The move comes amid the unfolding controversy surrounding the attack on the U.S. Consulate in Libya. Scrutiny has fallen on a range of agencies including the CIA, and the director had been set to testify at hearings next week -- he is no longer expected to do so. But Petraeus, in his resignation message, cited strictly "personal reasons" surrounding the affair.

Petraeus' wife, Holly, also works in the Obama administration, for the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.

Obama, in a written statement, said Petraeus provided an "extraordinary service to the United States for decades."

"By any measure, he was one of the outstanding General officers of his generation, helping our military adapt to new challenges, and leading our men and women in uniform through a remarkable period of service in Iraq and Afghanistan, where he helped our nation put those wars on a path to a responsible end," Obama said. He said he has named Michael Morell, the agency's deputy director, to serve as acting director.

The decision abruptly ends the public-service career of one of the military's most vaunted leaders. He led the surge in Iraq, and was later tapped to lead U.S. and NATO forces in Afghanistan -- following two years at the helm of U.S. Central Command. In April 2011, Obama again tapped Petraeus to lead the CIA.

He leaves just three days after Obama was elected to a second term, and amid a challenging environment for the country's intelligence community -- which is dealing with not just rogue nations like Iran but a changing landscape elsewhere as a result of the Arab Spring. It has been confirmed that the U.S. compound that was attacked in Libya housed CIA operatives as well as State Department staff.

The intelligence community subsequently came under scrutiny when some officials suggested the administration initially claimed the attack was "spontaneous" only because of the intelligence assessments at the time.

Director of National Intelligence James Clapper said Friday that Petraeus' resignation "represents the loss of one of our nation's most respected public servants."

Lawmakers on Capitol Hill expressed similar sentiments.

"General David Petraeus will stand in the ranks of America's greatest military heroes. His inspirational leadership and his genius were directly responsible -- after years of failure -- for the success of the surge in Iraq," Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., said. "General Petraeus has devoted his life to serving the country he loves, and America is so much the better for it."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/11/09/petraeus-resigns-as-cia-director/#ixzz2Bm8JL65y

And after all that, she's not that hot. (OK, I saw a few different pics, so maybe he has an excuse) Hope she gave one hell of a blowjob. And I have to laugh at the title of the biography she wrote. 'All In'. Yeah, I bet he got it all in......:freakout:

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=paula+broadwell+bio+wiki&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bpcl=38093640&biw=1344&bih=733&wrapid=tlif135250722054510&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=XJ-dUNn7Csjk2QXMlICIBg#um=1&hl=en&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=paula+broadwell&oq=paula+broadwell&gs_l=img.12..0i24l3.1557.2877.0.4642.9.8.0.0.0.1.2 14.864.2j4j1.7.0...0.0...1c.1.gxQgfH1vw0Q&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=b8c34600d89448a5&bpcl=38093640&biw=1344&bih=733

MickDonalds
11-09-2012, 09:42 PM
Paula Broadwell is hot as shit. Google her. She was on The Daily Show. I think she's a Captain in the ARMY.

As for all this, it's truly sad. Now pundits, writers and historians will have even more of an incentive to call Iraq a failure, despite how Petraeus literally founded and championed the modern CounterInsurgency Operation and Surge playbook that salvaged the war from defeat into success. The spin will get much more vindictive and slanderous now against the war, on a collective level.

SATX
11-10-2012, 02:45 PM
It gets better. His resignation was not asked for until after the election to save Obama further embarrassment. What a joke.

Kessler: FBI Investigation Led to Petraeus Resignation
Friday, 09 Nov 2012 04:43 PM

By Ronald Kessler

inShare inShare10 Ronald Kessler reporting from Washington, D.C. — The resignation of David H. Petraeus as CIA director followed an FBI investigation of many months, raising the question of why he was not forced out until after the election.

In his letter of resignation, Petraeus cited an extra-marital affair he had been having. “After being married for over 37 years, I showed extremely poor judgment by engaging in an extramarital affair,” Petraeus said in his letter to President Obama. “Such behavior is unacceptable, both as a husband and as the leader of an organization such as ours.”

Petraeus, who had a distinguished military career, revealed no additional details. However, an FBI source says the investigation began when American intelligence mistook an email Petraeus had sent to his girlfriend as a reference to corruption. Petraeus was commander of U.S. Forces in Afghanistan from July 4, 2010 until July 18, 2011.

The investigation began last spring, but the FBI then pored over his emails when he was stationed in Afghanistan.

The woman who was having an affair with Petraeus is a journalist who had been writing about him.

Given his top secret clearance and the fact that Petraeus is married, the FBI continued to investigate and intercept Petraeus’ email exchanges with the woman. The emails include sexually explicit references to such items as sex under a desk.

Such a relationship is a breach of top secret security requirements and could have compromised Petraeus.

At some point after Petraeus was sworn in as CIA director on Sept. 6, 2011, the woman broke up with him. However, Petraeus continued to pursue her, sending her thousands of emails over the last several months, raising even more questions about his judgment.

Neither Petraeus nor the CIA’s Office of Public Affairs had any immediate comment.

FBI agents on the case expected that Petraeus would be asked to resign immediately rather than risk the possibility that he could be blackmailed to give intelligence secrets to foreign intelligence agencies or criminals. In addition, his pursuit of the woman could have distracted him as the CIA was giving Congress reports on the attack on the Benghazi consulate on Sept. 11.

The CIA ‘s reporting to Congress included a claim that protests over a YouTube video played a role in the attacks, thus allowing Obama to initially discount the possibility that the U.S. had suffered another terrorist attack just before the election.

In contrast, based on real time video and reports, the State Department was reporting that the attack that led to the deaths of four Americans, including U.S. Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens, was terrorist-related. The State Department reported that there were no protests at the consulate.

Still, the White House, with concurrence by the FBI and Justice Department, held off on asking for Petraeus’ resignation until after the election. His resignation occurred three days after the election, avoiding the possibility that Obama’s ill-fated appointment of Petraeus could become an issue in the election.

FBI agents on the case were aware that such a decision had been made to hold off on forcing him out until after the election and were outraged.

“The decision was made to delay the resignation apparently to avoid potential embarrassment to the president before the election,” an FBI source says. “To leave him in such a sensitive position where he was vulnerable to potential blackmail for months compromised our security and is inexcusable.”

Michael Kortan, the FBI’s assistant director for public affairs, said he had no comment.

Ronald Kessler is chief Washington correspondent of Newsmax.com. He is the New York Times bestselling author of books on the Secret Service, FBI, and CIA. Read more reports from Ronald Kessler — Click Here Now.

http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/petraeus-resigns-cia-affair/2012/11/09/id/463573

MickDonalds
11-10-2012, 04:34 PM
Damn Petraeus... That just sucks, man. This is going to inspire another vitriolic round of hate-spew from journalists and the left in their judgment of the Iraq War. Now it'll be a failure, all because of your infidelity.

MickDonalds
11-10-2012, 06:15 PM
Hahahahahahahahahahaha this is so awesome. I respect Petraeus like no other, but this is hilarious.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/308761_512854555399510_903482563_n.jpg

HooterBro
11-10-2012, 07:00 PM
Personally, I don't think a piece of pussy negates a whole career.

He's a dumbass for sure. And usually, guys like this who cheat this late in life have done it before.

SATX
11-11-2012, 12:01 PM
You're right. I did not mean waste in the sense that all he did went for nothing. I meant waste in that his career was ended prematurely and this will probably be the first thing most people (civilians) associate with him when he is remembered.

And I have to admit, the 1st pic I saw of her was pretty bad. She cleans up nicely :freakout: