PDA

View Full Version : Google refuses to take down anti-Muslim clip

coltsfan2007
09-18-2012, 10:52 PM
Google is refusing a White House request to take down an anti-Muslim clip on YouTube, but is restricting access to it in certain countries.

The White House said Friday that it had asked YouTube to review whether the video violated its terms of use. Google owns YouTube, the online video sharing site.

YouTube said in a statement Friday that the video is widely available on the Web and is "clearly within our guidelines and so will stay on YouTube."

The short film "Innocence of Muslims" denigrates Islam and the Prophet Muhammad. It played a role in igniting mob violence against U.S. embassies across the Middle East. And it has been blamed for playing a role in violence in Libya, where the U.S. ambassador and three others were killed though the exact cause of the attacks is under investigation.

U.S. and Libyan officials are investigating whether the protests in Libya were a cover for militants, possibly al-Qaida sympathizers, to carry out a co-ordinated attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi and kill Americans. Washington has deployed FBI investigators to try and track down militants behind the attack.

While the protests intensified over the video, YouTube blocked access to the clip in Libya and Egypt. YouTube cited "the very sensitive situations" in those two countries. Later YouTube also blocked access to the video in India and Indonesia after their governments told Youtube the video broke their laws.

The controversy underscores how some Internet firms have been thrust into debates over the limits of free speech.

In its Friday statement, YouTube said that outside of Libya, Egypt, India and Indonesia, the video will remain on its website.

"We work hard to create a community everyone can enjoy and which also enables people to express different opinions," the YouTube statement said. "This can be a challenge because what's OK in one country can be offensive elsewhere. This video -- which is widely available on the Web -- is clearly within our guidelines and so will stay on YouTube. However, we've restricted access to it in countries where it is illegal such as India and Indonesia as well as in Libya and Egypt, given the very sensitive situations in these two countries. This approach is entirely consistent with principles we first laid out in 2007."

YouTube's community guidelines say the company encourages free speech and defends everyone's right to express unpopular points of view. But YouTube says it does not permit hate speech.

"'Hate speech' refers to content that promotes hatred against members of a protected group," the guidelines say. "Sometimes there is a fine line between what is and what is not considered hate speech. For instance, it is generally okay to criticize a nation, but not okay to make insulting generalizations about people of a particular nationality."

Before I give my opinion I would like to hear what my fellow Apaches think.
Do you feel we should give up our freedoms in order to keep peace amongst us and other nations?
Do you think Google is doing the right thing?

Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer, but the right answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future- John F. Kennedy :USA:

BrendenF11
09-18-2012, 11:39 PM
There is no reason for the United States to block the video, it would be an obvious violation of our rights. It is disgusting to think that a president and his administration would call for this video to be removed. The freedom to speak as you see fit is one of the core founding principles of this country. This is not hate speech, it is a critical and objective view over one groups position on god (I pray when I take a shit, and I consider myself "christian" and that will land me in hell when I die according to christian values).

You can not make people understand how the freedoms we have translate into a culture and society that has suffer under thousands of years of oppresion, both foreign and domestic. Everything they have ever experienced has been the current hand of a harsh ruling dictator, meaning every piece of any kind of media they have ever seen has been almost completely government sanctioned. That's why they see the video as an attack by the United States citizens and government as a whole, because there is no distinction between an individual and their government.

MadeInRu
09-19-2012, 06:59 AM
Same shit in Russia.... Pointless if you ask me... By the looks of it, 90% of protestors never even saw that damn movie. And i'm pretty sure that this movie is all over the internet by now, so just removing it from youtube not gonna change a thing.

I haven't seen it either hehe ;) Not a big fan of that kind of crap.

eaglethebeagle
09-19-2012, 08:26 AM
what is great about the video is its a video and its fiction. The fact that they tell everyone they are peaceful muslims then kill people because their religion is being mocked is ironic.

Then there are videos like this one that are legit and tell the truth about islam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Di2-6fplPg&feature=em-uploademail

3 days after they killed the ambassador they are talking more shit about killing Christians and Jews.

eaglethebeagle
09-19-2012, 09:01 AM
from France

http://news.yahoo.com/french-weekly-publishes-mohammad-cartoons-075449808.html

French weekly fuels Mohammad row with cartoonsBy Nicholas Vinocur | Reuters – 20 mins ago

Email (http://news.yahoo.com/_xhr/mtf/panel/)
Print (http://news.yahoo.com/french-weekly-publishes-mohammad-cartoons-075449808.html)

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/Rm3.rC.o1ixBkbKTpV1PZA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Y2g9MjU0MTtjcj0xO2N3PTM4MDA7ZHg9MD tkeT0wO2ZpPXVsY3JvcDtoPTQyMjtxPTg1O3c9NjMw/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/1ba40064761d991a1b0f6a7067000cf3.jpgEnlarge Photo (http://news.yahoo.com/photos/french-policeman-stands-guard-outside-headquarters-satirical-weekly-photo-095308718.html)Associated Press/MIchel Euler - A French policeman stands guard outside the headquarters of the satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo in Paris, Wednesday, Sept. 19, 2012. Police took up positions outside the Paris …more

PARIS (Reuters) - A French magazine ridiculed the Prophet Mohammad on Wednesday by portraying him naked in cartoons, threatening to fuel the anger of Muslims around the world who are already incensed by a film depiction of him as a womanizing buffoon.
The French government, which had urged the magazine not to print the images, said it was temporarily shutting down premises including embassies and schools in 20 countries on Friday, when protests sometimes break out after Muslim prayers.
Riot police were deployed to protect the Paris offices of satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo after it hit the news stands with a cover showing an Orthodox Jew pushing the turbaned figure of Mohammad in a wheelchair.
On the inside pages, several caricatures of the Prophet showed him naked. One, entitled "Mohammad: a star is born", depicted a bearded figure crouching over to display his buttocks and genitals.
Initial reaction from Muslim countries was critical.
"Of course it will anger people further. It will raise tensions that were already dangerously high," saidSheikh Nabil Rahim, a leading Salafist cleric in Lebanon.
"We will try to keep things managed and peaceful, but these things easily get out of hand. I fear there could more targeting of foreigners, and this is why I wish they would not persist with these provocations."
In Egypt, Essam Erian, acting head of the powerful Muslim Brotherhood's Freedom and Justice Party, told Reuters: "We reject and condemn the French cartoons that dishonor the Prophet and we condemn any action that defames the sacred according to people's beliefs."
DEADLY PROTESTS
The posting of a short film on You Tube last week that mocked Mohammad as a lecherous fool has sparked protests in many countries, some of them deadly.
The U.S. ambassador to Libya and three other Americans were killed in an attack in Benghazi, and U.S. and other foreign embassies were stormed in cities in Asia, Africa and the Middle East by furious Muslims. Afghan militants said a suicide bombing that killed 12 people on Tuesday was carried out in retaliation for the film, which was made with private funds in California.
The furor has emerged as an issue in the U.S. presidential election campaign and sparked a wider international debate over free speech, religion and the right to offend. Many Muslims consider any representation of Allah or the Prophet Mohammad blasphemous.
"We have the impression that it's officially allowed for Charlie Hebdo to attack the Catholic far-right but we cannot poke fun at fundamental Islamists," said editor Stephane Charbonnier, who drew the front-page cartoon.
"It shows the climate - everyone is driven by fear, and that is exactly what this small handful of extremists who do not represent anyone want - to make everyone afraid, to shut us all in a cave," he told Reuters.
One cartoon, in reference to the scandal over a French magazine's decision to publish topless photos of the wife of Britain's Prince William, showed a topless, bearded character with the caption: "Riots in Arab countries after photos of Mrs. Mohammad are published."
Charbonnier said he expected to double the usual 35,000-copy print run to meet demand.
BEEFED UP SECURITY
French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius criticized the magazine's move as a provocation.
"We saw what happened last week in Libya and in other countries such as Afghanistan," Fabius told a regular government news conference. "We have to call on all to behave responsibly."
A Foreign Ministry spokesman said France was closing its embassies, consulates, cultural centers and schools in 20 countries on Friday as a "precautionary measure".
Charlie Hebdo has a long reputation for being provocative. Its Paris offices were firebombed last November after it published a mocking caricature of Mohammad, and Charbonnier has been under police guard ever since.
Speaking outside his offices in an eastern neighborhood with many residents of North African origin, Charbonnier said he had not received any threats over the latest cartoons. In a message on its Twitter account, Charlie Hebdo said its website had been hacked, but referred readers to a blog it also uses.
The French Muslim Council, the main body representing Muslims in France, accused Charlie Hebdo of firing up anti-Muslim sentiment at a sensitive time.
"The CFCM is profoundly worried by this irresponsible act, which in such a fraught climate risks further exacerbating tensions and sparking damaging reactions," it said.
Richard Prasquier, head of the body representing France's Jewish community - Europe's largest - said religious censorship was wrong but added: "Publishing Mohammad cartoons at this time, in the name of freedom, is irresponsible".
In 2005, Danish cartoons of the Prophet sparked a wave of violent protests across the Muslim world that killed at least 50 people.
The decision to temporarily close some embassies comes at a time when France is already on heightened alert over possible attacks by al Qaeda on French interests in West Africa.
A diplomatic source said this week Paris recently foiled attacks on economic and diplomatic targets and had credible evidence that more were planned. "Al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb is a direct and immediate threat," the source said.
Separately, French Prime Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault said the authorities had rejected a request to hold a march against the Mohammad film in Paris.
Social media had circulated calls for a protest on Saturday against the film, after police arrested about 150 people who tried to take part in an unauthorized protest near the U.S. Embassy in Paris last week.
(Additional reporting by Sreya Banerjee, Thierry Chiarelly, Brian Love and John Irish, and Marwa Awad in Cairo; writing by Mark John, Editing by Mark Trevelyan)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it just me or is anyone else just fucking ready for a fucking war. I am tired as fuck of all the rhetoric and threats and shit talking. These muslims want a global jihad lets just do this shit. Lets fucking do it. The ones here in America seem awefully quiet like they are at home nervous and pissing down their legs. They dont seem to have the confidence that every other nations muslims have.

Lets fucking go already.

GlenUK
09-19-2012, 11:38 AM
Does anyone remember "Monty Python" life of brian and the holy grail?. well Christians didn't go around killing people when they were screened did they.
These fucking donkey shaggers are just retarded and can not think for themselves, some twat who calls himself a leader says lets shit in a hole in the sand then they all follow.
If i ever get a terminal illness someone better give me a automatic weapon so i can clean the UK up as much as poss b4 i go down.

MickDonalds
09-19-2012, 12:41 PM
Oh look...The White House apologizing and bowing to Muslim pressure.

I'm ever so surprised!!!

You can make the most offensive Christian, Buddhist, Scientology, etc video and the White House wouldn't DARE step in.

coltsfan2007
09-19-2012, 02:58 PM
Good opinions Apaches. I will be posting mine Friday afternoon. Keep them coming.

coltsfan2007
09-21-2012, 02:04 PM
BrendenF11, I agree with everything you say but, (I pray when I take a shit, and I consider myself "christian" and that will land me in hell when I die according to christian values). I am not sure at exactly what you are getting at, but the rest right on.
MadeInRu, you hit it right on, too. I agree 100%. I will more address that when I give my opinion.
Eaglethebeagle, you could not have said it better, btw, that video (that you posted in this thread) disgusted me. It is as if they are promoting violence.
GlenUK, I know how you feel, I've taken some heat on this website from some bleeding hearts for what I have voiced about these imbreds.
MickDonalds, you also have made a very good point, btw, I love your saying for Obama, Obongos :lol:

You all had very good opinions and I agree with them all, actually you made it a lot easier to express my opinion, which is:
This apology crap and bowing down to other leaders needs to stop from our Pres. and we can do that together in Nov. It is a disgrace for our military to sacrifice for our freedoms and so we never have to bow before no one, just so our Pres. turns around and does it. I am very fed up with Obama and his policy of let's not hurt any feelings. Our fore fathers have probably turned over in their grave and if so I am 100% for sure it is because they are telling Obama to kiss their ass. I also feel that these muslims are always looking for a reason just to start up some shit and I agree the majority of them probably have not seen the video. I watched a video today where the military did a survey. The troops were carrying around 9\11 pics. and asking the people in Afgan. if they recognized the pics. and the majority did not, nor did they even know what country it happened in. Most of the muslims don't even know why we are there other than the Taliban. That is why I agree with you 100% eaglethebeagle. That video you posted is so factual, these people listen to some shmuck and take it for the holy truth. Jim Jones followers, is what it reminds me of. Our freedoms, fuck Obama, if some dumbass wants to make a fucked up video he has every right as a citizen of this great country. You are right MickDonalds, if somebody makes a controversial video in this country the gov't. has nothing to say about it, but good lord if it's a muslim video, fucking Obama has to put in his two cents and apologize, BULLSHIT! I don't see Americans going around killing muslims because they are over there burning our Bibles and our Flags. These people need to crawl back into their caves and get over it. I am very happy that youtube is sticking up for their constitutional rights. Change must start its path in November, lest we let this great country slip away.

Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer, but the right answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future. John F. Kennedy :USA:

jamieooh
09-21-2012, 11:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7aS7m3odqI&feature=related

remember this guy and the riots?
http://www.euronews.com/2012/09/18/anti-film-protests-echo-salman-rushdie-furore/