PDA

View Full Version : Marines punished for urinating on Taliban corpses

jamieooh
08-27-2012, 09:41 PM
After an eight-month investigation, three Marines were punished Monday for urinating on dead Taliban terrorists in a video that spread through the Internet in January.

The Marine Corps declined to reveal the specific punishments or the names of the Marines, who were deployed with the 3rd Battalion, 2nd Marine Regiment from Camp Lejeune, N.C. Punishments in an administrative proceeding could include reduction in rank, restriction to base, extra duties, forfeiture of pay, a reprimand or a combination of these measures, the Corps said in a statement.

“We hold Marines to a high standard of ethical behavior. The Marine Corps takes misconduct by Marines very seriously and is committed to holding accountable those who are responsible,” the Corps said.

One of the Marines, a noncommissioned officer, pleaded guilty to wrongly posing for an unofficial photograph with human casualties and urinating on the body of a deceased Taliban militant. Another noncommissioned officer pleaded guilty to “wrongfully video-recording” the incident, as well as wrongfully posing for the photograph.

A staff noncommissioned officer admitted his guilt for failing to report the mistreatment of human casualties by other Marines and for making a false official statement to an investigator with the Naval Criminal Investigative Service concerning his knowledge of the video.

Disciplinary actions action against other Marines involved in the incident will be announced at a later date, the Corps said.

Read more: Marines punished for urinating on Taliban corpses - Washington Times

Pittsburgh
08-27-2012, 10:12 PM
If I had a say, a simple "don't do that again on camera" would suffice.

Unfortunately, the media blew it up with feigned outrage and made them out to be part of an S.S. death squad and equated their "crimes" to those committed by Pol Pot, Lenin, Stalin, Hussein, Tito, Hitler and Tse-Tung. For the military folks on the board who would have a better understanding than myself when it comes to military punishment, what type of punishment do you believe these men received for something as idiotically negligible as this?

BrendenF11
08-27-2012, 10:58 PM
“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself,
you will succumb in every battle”
― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Never become what the enemy is, it defeats the purpose of fighting a war. Take a look at Somalia with the dragging of bodies through the streets, along with the beheading of western journalists. By our standards it is not quite the same thing, but by theirs it is.

Glad to see that they have been punished, moderately, for the actions that they took. While I have no personal issue with the actions they took, it is not representative of the United States military and the way it maintains itself or operates in any given area.

nastyleg
08-28-2012, 03:40 AM
Well they more than likely got all three punishments and barred from re-enlisting. They got off lightly due to the fact it violates the desecration of dead bodies part of the geneva conventions. To quote Sgt Shultz I know nothzing.

Pittsburgh
08-28-2012, 06:30 PM
Well they more than likely got all three punishments and barred from re-enlisting. They got off lightly due to the fact it violates the desecration of dead bodies part of the geneva conventions. To quote Sgt Shultz I know nothzing.

So, we're not talking jail time here for something as petty as this, right?

serpa6
08-28-2012, 10:18 PM
I would have gave them punishment Those poor helpless pieces of shit laying on the ground
1 bought them 3 whores
2 let the get laid until there dicks where sore
3rd and final have the whores piss on them Just like they did to those fuckbags
PS gave them the navy cross only if they did it under fire (pissing on the Taliban that is) :D

PSS I am Serious

nastyleg
08-29-2012, 04:21 AM
no jail time

GlenUK
08-29-2012, 05:16 AM
I would have taken a shit on them so they are lucky i was not there lol

KillerBD
09-08-2012, 01:39 PM
It's called "NJP" at least that's what this article sounds like. No mention of a court-marshal or 'jail-time' as others are suggesting. It's really simple, in the military if you fuck up and disgrace your command or branch... Chances are real good your going to be standing tall before the man. Not that this instance is really that 'bad' but the actions they took are still out of line, they knew what they were doing wasn't right. Now I know everyone is equating this to Taliban/al-Qaeda beheading and torture, but here is the thing: The US/NATO military is held to much HIGHER standards. It's a 100% null argument, "well the enemy does 99x times much worse to us" no shit, our military is a professional fighting force; not some rag-tag band of murderers and sociopaths. In retrospect to what the enemy has done, it's almost painful that we 'discipline' our troops for this sort of thing. But that's what separates our troops from the enemy (terrorists).

In retrospect, maybe they should have turned off the camera beforehand, probably wouldn't have even come up.