PDA

View Full Version : Joining the Military...

JToKKo
05-10-2009, 04:06 AM
I'm thinking about joining up but not sure how to go about it. In college now but I'm bored, don't know what i want to do(career), and I can see myself regretting not joining when I get older.
I haven't talked to a recruiter yet because I think they'd just try to sell me on whatever is best for them.
You think it would be best to try and get into the ARMY ROTC program?
If not...Army or Marines? or even Navy...i guess. Which one pays the best :)
I'm about to get my Associates degree will that even matter? What about a Bachelors, could I get higher rank or something for that?
I know that a lot of you have been through all this and I just wanted your opinions. I'll most likely go and talk to a recruiter soon anyways, but I thought I'd like to get some other opinions.

Cruelbreed
05-12-2009, 12:06 AM
I'm on the same path bud. Just going to continue working out for another 1-2 years while I continue working on other stuff. If I still have the urge in that time i'm joining up. Meanwhile i'll also be doing more outdoor stuff. Learning to read maps, scuba dive, sky dive. I think you can become an officer with a bachelors. I'd say join ROTC for the next 2 years so you don't have to go through OCS and perhaps you can get some college money.

nastyleg
05-12-2009, 04:46 AM
Hey guys. Military benifits are the same across the board.Standardizationin themilitary who would of thought it huh?
Ok seriously,career wise it is very rewarding no matter what branch you choose. They all have there pro's and con's. Look at the bigger picture here. You are going to voluntaraly risk your life to defend this nation of ours. Let that sink in for a minute. It is a life altering experiece full of highs and lows(extremes). You have a choice multitude of choices ahead of you. Combat arms or support, Which branch, How long, enlisted of officer? No one person can hold all of the answers. I highly recommend that you finish school first. There are too many people in the military that regret not getting a higher education. Yes a recruiter does have quotas and will sell you the branch. Army is the biggest with the most opportunities. Navy is very technical and a good source of experience. AirForce is the most Technical. Marines is small and limited but very challenging....so I have been told. Coast Gaurd is very diverse and just as rewarding as Navy. If you have specific questions I will try and answer to the best of my knowledge. Feel free to private message me.

sr338
05-23-2009, 04:36 AM
NastyLeg is dead on. Just make sure if you join, it's for the right reasons. Too many idiots are joining right now because it's the only job they can get. And when they get deployed or forced to do something they don't want to do, I don't want to have to listen to them bitch about how much they hate the military.

rpsgt
07-03-2009, 03:11 AM
I was in Army ROTC at Ohio State. It was OK. I didnt get my commision though. I went thru all the shit. The reason I went into ROTC was to get a commision and fly helicopters. (I failed my final flight physical to get into W.O. flight school due to 20/25 in one eye) This was a way around the vision requirements to get into flight school.

The point of this story is this, I wanted to fly, my eyesight wasnt good enough to go the enlisted route, when my eyesight exceeded the requirements for the commisioned officer program, I left ROTC because I was not in it to be "a leader of men". Make no mistake. If you go in as an officer, you are responsible for the guys under your leadership. That is a HUGE responsibility. If thats not what you want to do, go enlisted. It will be better for you and your troops.

Feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions, otherwise good lick with your decision.

ghost
07-03-2009, 08:29 AM
Don't do it for the money. Do it because you love your country, and it's what you want to do.

Do you have any ideas about what kind of job you'd want to get? Have you taken your ASVAB already?

Cruelbreed
07-03-2009, 01:35 PM
I was in Army ROTC at Ohio State. It was OK. I didnt get my commision though. I went thru all the shit. The reason I went into ROTC was to get a commision and fly helicopters. (I failed my final flight physical to get into W.O. flight school due to 20/25 in one eye) This was a way around the vision requirements to get into flight school.

The point of this story is this, I wanted to fly, my eyesight wasnt good enough to go the enlisted route, when my eyesight exceeded the requirements for the commisioned officer program, I left ROTC because I was not in it to be "a leader of men". Make no mistake. If you go in as an officer, you are responsible for the guys under your leadership. That is a HUGE responsibility. If thats not what you want to do, go enlisted. It will be better for you and your troops.

Feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions, otherwise good lick with your decision.

Was the 20/25 with correction? I'm assuming you cannot get PRK laser eye surgery for this position?

rpsgt
07-04-2009, 03:55 AM
20/25 in one eye without correction. At the time I was going thru this, laser vision correction was not acceptable as it was fairly new. (Im quite a bit older than most on this board. This all happened in 1986)

The only loop hole I found, (with the help of the flight surgeon who diagnosed the 20/25 in one eye) was to become a commisioned officer and then branch either Aviation, or oddly enough, Medical Corps as they can send their officers thru flight school.

Remember, This was in the mid to late 80s, so I dont know if the regs are the same.

mp5punk
07-27-2009, 12:02 AM
Hey man good choice on the carrer as i am going the same way to be a pilot in the army. My parents are going to set up a meeting with an army recruiter for me sometime this year as i just cant wait any longer and i want to join now lOL. Anyways keep up the motivation and i hope you make good out in the army!!

Bisley_Bob
08-04-2009, 09:10 AM
Just out of interest why are your parents setting up the meeting with the recruiter? You're the one joining.

Sixx
08-11-2009, 04:28 PM
Military is Military...

Just depends on what type of job you are going for.

My father(Retired Army-prior USAF) told me to join the USAF instead of the Army because the Air Force treats it's people better.....boy was he wrong lol.

If you decide to go the enlisted route, Do not get suckered into a crap job by the recruiter.....Know the jobs before hand, and score high on your ASVAB.

As being Commisioned I have no idea hehe, I never got along with officers.

bobdina
08-11-2009, 04:33 PM
Just out of interest why are your parents setting up the meeting with the recruiter? You're the one joining.

He may be 17. Here your parents have to sign papers allowing you to join unless your 18.