PDA

View Full Version : US Navy ship kills 1 after firing at boat off Dubai

Pittsburgh
07-16-2012, 02:23 PM
"A U.S. Navy ship fired “disabling shots” at a small vessel that came too close to it in the Persian Gulf region, killing one and injuring three, officials told Fox News.

The incident happened Monday within maritime borders of the United Arab Emirates near Jebel Ali, a port town 35 kilometers southwest of Dubai. The town is northwest of the Strait of Hormuz, a key regional oil route that Iran has repeatedly threatened to block over sanctions against its nuclear program.

The USNS Rappahannock fired shots from a .50 caliber machine gun because the operator of the small boat, whose nationality is unknown, ignored audible and visual signals to move away, two senior U.S. defense officials told Fox News."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/07/16/us-ship-kills-1-after-firing-at-boat-off-dubai-official-says/#ixzz20oKYQurN

-----------------------------------------------------

It's a fairly simple concept- Civilian or not, when you ignore "audible and visual signals to move away", you get what you deserve and then some. Another U.S.S. Cole incident isn't going to happen a second time. A job well done by our men and women in the Navy. Hopefully Iran was watching.

SgtJim
07-16-2012, 04:45 PM
MANAMA, Bahrain (NNS) -- An embarked security team aboard a U.S. Navy vessel fired upon a small motor vessel after it disregarded warnings and rapidly approached the U.S. ship near Jebel Ali, United Arab Emirates today

image of the ship: http://www.navy.mil/view_image.asp?id=98606

USNS Rappahannock Fires after Vessel ignores warnings
By U.S. Naval Forces Central Command Public Affairs

MANAMA, Bahrain (NNS) -- An embarked security team aboard a U.S. Navy vessel fired upon a small motor vessel after it disregarded warnings and rapidly approached the U.S. ship near Jebel Ali, United Arab Emirates today.

In accordance with Navy force protection procedures, the sailors on the USNS Rappahannock (T-AO 204) used a series of non-lethal, preplanned responses to warn the vessel before resorting to lethal force.

The U.S. crew repeatedly attempted to warn the vessel's operators to turn away from their deliberate approach. When those efforts failed to deter the approaching vessel, the security team on the Rappahannock fired rounds from a .50-caliber machine gun.

The incident is under investigation.

For more news from Commander, U.S. Naval Forces Central Command/5th Fleet, visit www.navy.mil/local/cusnc (http://www.navy.mil/local/cusnc)/.

eaglethebeagle
07-16-2012, 10:36 PM
"A U.S. Navy ship fired “disabling shots” at a small vessel that came too close to it in the Persian Gulf region, killing one and injuring three, officials told Fox News.

The incident happened Monday within maritime borders of the United Arab Emirates near Jebel Ali, a port town 35 kilometers southwest of Dubai. The town is northwest of the Strait of Hormuz, a key regional oil route that Iran has repeatedly threatened to block over sanctions against its nuclear program.

The USNS Rappahannock fired shots from a .50 caliber machine gun because the operator of the small boat, whose nationality is unknown, ignored audible and visual signals to move away, two senior U.S. defense officials told Fox News."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/07/16/us-ship-kills-1-after-firing-at-boat-off-dubai-official-says/#ixzz20oKYQurN

-----------------------------------------------------

It's a fairly simple concept- Civilian or not, when you ignore "audible and visual signals to move away", you get what you deserve and then some. Another U.S.S. Cole incident isn't going to happen a second time. A job well done by our men and women in the Navy. Hopefully Iran was watching.

Iran was watching because they sent the boat to see what the line in the sand is.:USA:

Pittsburgh
07-17-2012, 10:01 AM
Iran was watching because they sent the boat to see what the line in the sand is.:USA:

I wouldn't be surprised if they were backed by Iran in some way or another. Their little boats have been testing our naval ships for some time now.

I'm all for blowing them out of the water when they threaten our ships. Killing those "people" is fine by me. I just don't feel like watching us fight another front with one hand tied behind our backs and then proceed to "nation build" another muslim country if we decide to turn it into a parking lot. I'm hoping that situation doesn't escalate, but Ahmadinejad is about as mentally stable as Nancy Pelosi on her second shot of expresso.

I'm not optimistic.

finack
08-04-2012, 04:53 PM
..>>..snip..>>..snip..>>.. I'm hoping that situation doesn't escalate, but Ahmadinejad is about as mentally stable as Nancy Pelosi on her second shot of expresso.

Hahahahaha.. to funny. Couldn't agree more Pittsburgh. Great analogy. :D :D :D

50cal?? Fuck that. Go BOSS on them with the Phalanx CIWS next time. If Iran was probing, I hope we don't extend the same courtesy twice and for as long, next time.