PDA

View Full Version : Submit and vote for the next badass of the month

Stark
07-15-2012, 03:52 PM
Here are the rules.

If you want to submit any person in past or recent history for the badass of the month post him/her in this thread.

Voting works by thanking a post, the post with the most thanks wins and becomes badass of the month.

gazzthompson
07-15-2012, 04:03 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ae/Sir_Adrian_Carton_de_Wiart_by_Sir_William_Orpen.jp g

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_Carton_de_Wiart

He fought in the Boer War, World War I, and World War II; was shot in the face, head, stomach, ankle, leg, hip and ear; survived a plane crash, tunneled out of a POW camp, and bit off his own fingers when a doctor wouldn't amputate them. He later said "frankly I had enjoyed the war."

"With his black eyepatch and empty sleeve, Carton de Wiart looked like an elegant pirate, and became a figure of legend."

He was wounded seven more times in the war, losing his left hand in 1915 and pulling off his fingers when a doctor declined to remove them.[7] He was shot through the skull and ankle at the Battle of the Somme, through the hip at the Battle of Passchendaele, through the leg at Cambrai, and through the ear at Arras. He went to the Sir Douglas Shield's Nursing Home to recover from his injuries.

He made five attempts including seven months tunnelling. Once de Wiart evaded capture for eight days disguised as an Italian peasant, which is surprising considering that he was in northern Italy, did not speak Italian, and was 61 years old, with an eye patch, one empty sleeve and multiple injuries. Ironically, de Wiart had been approved for repatriation due to his disablement but notification arrived after his escape. As the repatriation would have required that he promise not to take any further part in the war it is probable that he would have declined anyway.

Pittsburgh
07-15-2012, 04:22 PM
Off the top of my head, I'll go with...

C.S.A. Major General John B. Gordon (Army of Northern Virginia)

On top of fighting in some of the bloodiest warfare known to man, this guy fought at the battle of Antietam/Sharpsburg, the bloodiest single day in American history. He was also one hell of a colonel. Some historians consider him the "Patrick Cleburne of the eastern theater" during the American Civil War. The most amazing part? He didn't attend some prestigious and fancy military school before the war, yet he worked his way up to the rank of major general before wars end. The man had ZERO military training before the war. Also, his ancestors spent their time picking off Brits during the American Revolution.

This was his experience at the battle of Antietam/Sharpsburg, Bloody Lane (Lee's center) to be exact. He was wounded five times in that ONE battle....

"The first volley from the Union lines in my front sent a ball through the brain of the chivalric Colonel Tew, of North Carolina, to whom I was talking, and another ball through the calf of my right leg. On the right and the left my men were falling under the death-dealing crossfire like trees in a hurricane. The persistent Federals, who had lost so heavily from repeated repulses, seemed now determined to kill enough Confederates to make the debits and credits of the battle's balance-sheet more nearly even. Both sides stood in the open at short range and without the semblance of breastworks, and the firing was doing a deadly work. Higher up in the same leg I was again shot; but still no bone was broken. I was able to walk along the line and give encouragement to my resolute riflemen, who were firing with the coolness and steadiness of peace soldiers in target practice. When later in the day the third ball pierced my left arm, tearing asunder the tendons and mangling the flesh, they caught sight of the blood running down my fingers, and these devoted and big-hearted men, while still loading their guns, pleaded with me to leave them and go to the rear, pledging me that they would stay there and fight to the last. I could not consent to leave them in such a crisis. The surgeons were all busy at the field-hospitals in the rear, and there was no way, therefore, of stanching the blood, but I had a vigorous constitution, and this was doing me good service.

A fourth ball ripped through my shoulder, leaving its base and a wad of clothing in its track. I could still stand and walk, although the shocks and loss of blood had left but little of my normal strength. I remembered the pledge to the commander that we would stay there till the battle ended or night came. I looked at the sun. It moved very slowly; in fact, it seemed to stand still. I thought I saw some wavering in my line, near the extreme right, and Private Vickers, of Alabama, volunteered to carry any orders I might wish to send. I directed him to go quickly and remind the men of the pledge to General Lee, and to say to them that I was still on the field and intended to stay there. He bounded away like an Olympic racer; but he had gone less than fifty yards when he fell, instantly killed by a ball through his head. I then attempted to go myself, although I was bloody and faint, and my legs did not bear me steadily. I had gone but a short distance when I was shot down by a fifth ball, which struck me squarely in the face, and passed out, barely missing the jugular vein. I fell forward and lay unconscious with my face in my cap; and it would seem that I might have been smothered by the blood running into my cap from this last wound but for the act of some Yankee, who, as if to save my life, had at a previous hour during the battle, shot a hole through the cap, which let the blood out."

Stark
07-15-2012, 06:23 PM
Focking hard men, keep'em coming guys.

Mel
07-15-2012, 08:12 PM
How much did Millett hate America’s enemies? In 1941, while training in the Army Air Corps, he heard President Roosevelt declare that America wouldn’t go to war in Europe, so he deserted and joined the Canadian army to fight Nazis. While waiting in England to fight, the U.S. Army caught up, and he was allowed a transfer back to his native military, with which he fought in North Africa. While there, he was awarded the Silver Star for driving a burning ammunition-filled halftrack away from his fellow soldiers, then leaping away to safety just before it exploded.

Millett then got promoted into the officer corps — despite the court-martial for desertion — and eventually served in Korea as a company commander, where he earned the Medal of Honor and the Distinguised Service Cross (the nation’s two highest medals for valor) for two leading two different bayonet charges.

http://i49.servimg.com/u/f49/15/29/25/80/lewis-10.jpg

“We had acquired some Chinese documents stating that Americans were afraid of hand-to-hand fighting and cold steel”. “When I read that, I thought, ‘I’ll show you, you sons of bitches!’”

Benda
07-16-2012, 01:56 AM
Sergeant Blaine Diddams

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb378/_Benda/AC/4110476-3x4-700x933.jpg

Hundreds of family, friends and fellow soldiers have commemorated the life of Sergeant Blaine Diddams, in a moving military funeral service held at Karrakatta, Perth.
Forty year-old Sergeant Diddams was killed during an engagement with insurgents on operations in southern Afghanistan on 2 July, 2012.
Local residents, dignitaries and Defence Force members stood shoulder to shoulder to pay respects to Sergeant Diddams as his coffin was marched into the cemetery by his Regimental mates.
Commanding Officer of the Special Air Service Regiment, Lieutenant Colonel J paid homage to Sergeant Blaine Diddams.
“Didds was at the top of his game in terms of command, leadership and tactical acumen, yet he was humble, loyal to the end and respectful of all who contributed to the delivery of operational capability,” Lieutenant Colonel J said.
“His pursuit of professional excellence, his devotion to his family, his dedication to his mates and to his country will always be remembered by an eternally grateful Regiment, Defence Force and nation.”
Sergeant Diddams is survived by his wife Toni-Ann, his two children, Elle-Lou and Henry, his parents Peter and Cate, and four brothers and sisters.

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb378/_Benda/AC/aap_6883_1200704_Digger_800x600.jpg

More on his death....

A TALIBAN fighter hiding in a tree is believed to have shot special forces Sergeant Blaine Diddams in an act that has raised fears Afghan soldiers have been collaborating with insurgents.A Herald investigation into the seven-tour veteran's death in Oruzgan province has found Afghan soldiers in the same district had been suspected of negotiating an unofficial truce with the Taliban leading to concerns of information leaks to the insurgents and an unpredictable security situation.Sergeant Diddams was killed in the July 2 mission that had been aimed at trying to capture or kill prominent local Taliban commander Najibullah ''Najib'' Haibat in the Qala-e-Naw district about 20 kilometres north of the provincial capital Tarin Kowt.When the raid occurred at about 5pm, Sergeant Diddams was reported to have been among a group of special forces soldiers who moved to surround the compound where Haibat and his fighters were supposed to be meeting.Advertisement
However an insurgent in a tree fired on the 40-year-old father of two, killing him instantly, according to Afghan sources. They told the Herald the angle of the shot meant the bullet went through his shoulder, missing his bulletproof vest, and ended up in his chest.Chora tribal elder Nik Mohammed, who is the district's former public works director, said the shooting happened in daytime, very soon after the Australian arrived by helicopter into the remote district. He said it was suspected the local Afghan army unit responsible for providing security in the district had been in contact with the Taliban and had previously negotiated some form of truce.Mr Mohammed said in the past three months, there had been no attacks on the local Afghan soldiers and their vehicles had not been targeted by roadside bombs, while those of the police and foreign forces were still being targeted.The Taliban had ''great power in the district''. ''There is some sort of connection between the Taliban and the soldiers,'' he said.''Not a single vehicle of the ANA [Afghan National Army] has been blown up and there are some people in the army that may have some sympathy for the Taliban. They tip off the Taliban before operations,'' he said.''The Taliban put their guns away and pick up tools so they look like farmers.''Mr Mohammed said he did not have any confirmation that the Taliban had been warned of the latest raid but he said that after the operations the Taliban always come back.He did reveal that prior to the July 2 operation local villagers had officially met Haibat's fighters and asked them not to stay in the area - a request that was rejected. ''The Taliban insisted they will fight against the foreign forces,'' he said.Haibat was powerful in the district, he said, with control over five or six villagers and able to call on over up to 100 fighters.A spokesman for the Governor of Oruzgan, Amir Mohammad Akhunzada, said that the raid had killed some 12 Taliban including Haibat, but some elders in the Chora area were concerned the insurgent commander may have escaped the raid.The operation was later followed by a sweep of coalition forces to clean out the Taliban across the Chora district resulting in the capture of other Taliban. Some civilians suffered minor wounds.The ADF said last night it was checking with its operational command in Afghanistan before responding.

Ronaldflanagan
07-16-2012, 04:23 AM
Some major bad asses already posted here is my contribution...

Albert Sieber

http://www.apacheclips.com/boards/attachment.php?attachmentid=12622&stc=1&d=1342426743

Sieber is seated in the middle.

http://www.apacheclips.com/boards/attachment.php?attachmentid=12623&stc=1&d=1342426857

Al Sieber was born in Germany in 1843. His family emigrated to the US 5 years later. In 1862 he enlisted in the 1st Minnesota Volunteers fighting for the north. He fought in the battle of Gettysburg specifically the cemetary ridge engagement where his Unit suffered appaling losses and at one point were ordered into a suicidal bayonet charge against a larger unit. The 83 percent casualty rate stands to this day as the largest loss by any surviving military unit in American history during a single engagement. Al was shot twice during the battle but continued fighting. After the war Al moved out west and tried prospecting in Nevada, California and then Arizona territory where he developed a reputation as an indian fighter/tracker. In 1871 he was hired by General George Crook as Chief of Scouts. He participated heavily in the apache wars notably Crooks Tonto Apache Campaign. Sieber was responsible for the deaths of hundreds of Indian militants that had elected to take the warpath instead of being pushed onto the reservations. He was considered the best scout in the army and one of the few white men that was as tough and could track as well as the apache scouts. During the battle of Big Dry Wash for example the army killed 16 Apaches, Sieber racked up 8 of those kills with his 1876 model winchester rifle. Al participated in dozens of battles and throughout his career he would be wounded over 30 times by gunshot, arrow, knife and indian lance. He killed more indians than Kit Carson and Daniel Boone combined but many people have never even heard his name. He was instrumental in the taming of the western american frontier. Al died in 1907 running an indian work crew building the tonto road. A large boulder fell on top of him finally crushing the life out of the old scout. It is believed by many that Al's indian workers pushed the boulder on top of him.

SgtJim
07-16-2012, 04:53 AM
last "month" Eris and me "added" Chris Kyle to the frontpage
so, in this "month" im not going to promote anybody

but, i'm totaly agree with Brenda
i think "we" need to promote the new era Heroes
all of my respect to the recent war Heroes too, of course
but i think we need to focus on the current affairs

there are several Silver and Bronze Star or Navy Cross Soldiers/Marines/Airmen

Pittsburgh
07-16-2012, 05:40 AM
Albert Sieber

Good call on Sieber. Being in the 1st Minnesota is reason enough. On top of taking absolutely horrific casualties at Gettysburg, they also took a beating at Antietam in the West Woods section of the field (Lee's left). Then the guy went on to fight apaches. Crazy.

It's amazing what those men went through. As much as I've studied that war and have read diary after diary, to this day I'm still unable to fully wrap my head around how men were able to stand 30-50 yards away from their enemy and cooly fire volley after volley while the opposition was doing the same. On top of having to deal with a wall of musketry, witnessing groups of men being evaporated by canister/double-canister had to test the nerves and the spirit. They were simply slaughtering each other wholesale.

It was horrific warfare and a perfect example of tactics being well behind technology.

Stark
07-16-2012, 10:39 AM
Good call on Sieber. Being in the 1st Minnesota is reason enough. On top of taking absolutely horrific casualties at Gettysburg, they also took a beating at Antietam in the West Woods section of the field (Lee's left). Then the guy went on to fight apaches. Crazy.

It's amazing what those men went through. As much as I've studied that war and have read diary after diary, to this day I'm still unable to fully wrap my head around how men were able to stand 30-50 yards away from their enemy and cooly fire volley after volley while the opposition was doing the same. On top of having to deal with a wall of musketry, witnessing groups of men being evaporated by canister/double-canister had to test the nerves and the spirit. They were simply slaughtering each other wholesale.

It was horrific warfare and a perfect example of tactics being well behind technology.

Thats how I feel about the holocaust - I have read so many books about the subject but have the feeling that I'm not even close understanding it.