PDA

View Full Version : Civil War mini-series: To Appomattox

Pittsburgh
06-03-2012, 08:10 PM
UPDATE: They have changed the name to "Grant vs Lee".

For fellow Civil War buffs, a new mini-series is in the works titled "Grant vs Lee"...

Official site: http://www.toappomattox.com/Home.html

Fan site: http://toappomattox.wordpress.com/

IMDb site: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2032276/

I'm hoping it's a hell of a lot better than Ron Maxwell's "Gods and Generals", which was absolutely horrible for numerous reasons.

- Absolute failure to depict the true horrors of combat during the American Civil War.

- Ignoring major battles (Jackson's Valley Campaign, 2nd Manassas, Sharpsburg).

- Depicting Jackson praying every five minutes.

- Completely went away from the novel.

- Pointless and drawn-out storylines, like Jackson befriending the little girl in Fredericksburg and the relationship between Chamberlain and his wife.

Those were just a few examples of what was wrong with that film. I could go on and on, but it's not worth my time. In short and if they really want to do this right, the director and producer(s) involved with "To Appomattox" should watch "Band of Brothers", "Glory", "The Pacific" and "Saving Private Ryan" over and over and over again. Historical accuracy is key.

Do it right or don't do it all.

BrendenF11
06-03-2012, 09:51 PM
Not to mention the bore, I enjoy a mini series that depicts a strong sense history. However, as much as I love history, sometimes they can over due the side of things that are a little less than exciting. A mini-series is just that, not a documentary. Gods and Generals was more of a documentary done in mini-series state. It was just plain done wrong, if I want to watch a documentary, I will surely pay the utmost of attention and be quite interested. That show did not do it.

Thanks for the links I will have to read up on it.

Pittsburgh
06-04-2012, 09:25 AM
Not to mention the bore, I enjoy a mini series that depicts a strong sense history. However, as much as I love history, sometimes they can over due the side of things that are a little less than exciting. A mini-series is just that, not a documentary. Gods and Generals was more of a documentary done in mini-series state. It was just plain done wrong, if I want to watch a documentary, I will surely pay the utmost of attention and be quite interested. That show did not do it.

Thanks for the links I will have to read up on it.

"Gods and Generals" was one of the few movies in which I dozed off for a short period of time while inside the movie theater. It was that bad.

I'm not one of these history buffs who feels a movie/mini-series based on a historical event needs to be 100% accurate. I'm not going to complain if a soldier is wearing the wrong unit button or a certain regiment is wearing the wrong type of capi's. While I'll definately keep a mental note of those type of errors, it would not ruin my movie experience.

Still, when a man was hit with a mini-ball or a shell fragment the size of a softball, damage was done. They didn't grab their still attached leg after cannister shot was fired directly into their lines from thirty yards away. They were either horribly mangled or completely disintegrated. They simply didn't grab their arm, wince in pain and fall down after being struck by a mini-ball. They were spun around and shreaking in pain with a shattered humerus.

This is why "To Appomattox" needs an R-rating. If you're going to depict combat in the 19th century, show it the way it truly was or don't show it all. The movie "Glory" was a perfect example. Even "Cold Mountain" got it right when they depicted the fight inside "the crater" during the siege of Petersburg. Outside of watching the mini-series I mentioned above, I would also suggest the producers/director call up HBO or Showtime and beg them to pick up the TV rights to the mini-series. Again, the Civil War meets "Band of Brothers" or "The Pacific".

Pittsburgh
07-04-2012, 05:49 AM
Speaking of the Civil War, 150 years ago yesterday...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3po17QbHLRQ

BrendenF11
07-05-2012, 11:04 PM
Thought about this the other day, then thought about how bad I need to get there. I have a few relics from the battlefield, certified couldn't make out the name. Gettysburg, Antiem, Bullrun, Shiloh. I think that will make for a good vacation for myself, take 3 weeks to do it, hit Cahokia along the way. A dream.

I would also suggest the Atlanta region for anyone that is interested in the civil war, hit up a shot that has a metal detector sign on it ask them where the spots are and you'll come home with a few relics. Plus it's fun!

BrendenF11
07-05-2012, 11:12 PM
We only spent 25 minutes at some construction site at the base of a hill just NW of Atlanta. Still a chunk of history I have and found since it was fire. Yeah doesn't seem like much to you southern or eastern boys, but in MN we were still fighting indians on a daily basis at this time in history.

Ok it won't let me upload the photo. Sorry.

Pittsburgh
07-05-2012, 11:37 PM
Gettysburg, Antiem, Bullrun, Shiloh.

I've visited all the above and many others on numerous occasions and I consider Shiloh "the Antietam" of the western theater because it is so well preserved. It doesn't have an amusement park feel to it (Gettysburg) and you're not bothered by the sound of heavy traffic passing through the middle of the battlefield (Chancellorsville-Wilderness-Fredericksburg area). If you get the chance, hit up Shiloh and Antietam. I also suggest Vicksburg and Chickamauga.

Any questions, feel free to ask.