PDA

View Full Version : Jiffy Lube’s Oil Change Recommendation Lawsuit

shatto
06-02-2012, 01:39 PM
Jiffy Lube International is the target of a $5 million California class-action lawsuit for false and misleading advertising and unfair competitive practices related to its former 3,000-mile/three-month oil change interval recommendation. The lawsuit alleges Jiffy Lube misled consumers and received “unjust enrichment” by recommending shorter oil change intervals than those recommended by vehicle manufacturers. The lawsuit asks that Jiffy Lube be barred from engaging in unlawful practices, including the use of “deceptive” and “misleading” window stickers. Jiffy Lube discontinued its 3,000-mile/three-month oil change interval recommendation in June 2011, urging motorists to instead follow vehicle manufacturer recommendations.

If changing oil at 3,000 miles is good,
why not change it every 1,000 miles?
Wouldn't that be better?

jamieooh
06-02-2012, 03:58 PM
That's why I stopped going there. My car requires an oil change every 5000 miles, but they kept putting the 3000 mile sticker on the window. I use full synthetic oil in my car (lemon).

http://youtu.be/GIfidE7zpxU
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/scams/jiffylube.asp

shatto
06-02-2012, 04:02 PM
Egad! Paul Moyer is still around!

"My car requires an oil change every 5000 miles"

What if you have oil rated for 7,500 miles? 25,000 miles?

jamieooh
06-02-2012, 04:13 PM
then they need new stickers lol. I have never heard of a car going that long between oil changes.
I believe GM has an oil life monitor that tells you when you need to change your oil. I think I will pass on trusting that.
I have enough problems with thing breaking on my current car.
Maybe I should have bought a Toyota.

shatto
06-02-2012, 07:59 PM
then they need new stickers lol. I have never heard of a car going that long between oil changes.
Then you need to look:
http://www.amsoil.com/a/synthetic-motor-oil-engine-oil
Click "More information' and scroll down to the 'Service Life part.
Some of us use a Bypass filter and think nothing of going unbelievably long distances between changes.

And you can Google oil service life.

jamieooh
06-02-2012, 08:13 PM
shatto
How do you know when to change your oil then?
I believe you told me about this product before.
I'm researching it now.
This is the same product you used on your dakota?
How many miles do you have on your current truck?
I'm picking at your brain.
I'm trying to trade off my car for a tundra.
Do you use the transmission fluid as well?

shatto
06-02-2012, 08:19 PM
shatto
How do you know when to change your oil then?
I believe you told me about this product before.
I'm researching it now.
Root around the Amsoil site and you'll find; Oil Analyzers.
periodic oil analysis, couple, three times a year, will tell you exactly what's going on inside.
I use the Amsoil Ea Oil Filter which is rated for 25,000 miles. Change oil then.

jamieooh
06-02-2012, 08:45 PM
what year is clyde?

green2delta
06-02-2012, 09:13 PM
I've heard the 5,000 miles a lot before. Every vehicle is different and you can put different kinds of oils in it. It's up to you to check.

shatto
06-02-2012, 09:25 PM
what year is clyde?

Amsoil Signature Series 0-W30 oil and Ea oil filter.

Amsoil has a Touota compatable ATF.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-iw5oMSXddpo/T8q0DJDp0CI/AAAAAAAAJ14/L0cj2B3dSmc/s800/DSC07499.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-iw5oMSXddpo/T8q0DJDp0CI/AAAAAAAAJ14/L0cj2B3dSmc/s128/DSC07499.JPG
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-5dU4_QFShFs/T8q0De-jS0I/AAAAAAAAJ2A/gSVxr4K7w_Q/s640/DSC07500.JPG
Took the photo of the odometer and my Michelins that have traveled 150,000 miles, look ma; no wear bars! Just Friday.

jamieooh
06-02-2012, 09:33 PM
I've heard the 5,000 miles a lot before. Every vehicle is different and you can put different kinds of oils in it. It's up to you to check.
Very true. I happened to be smart enough to read my owners manual every time i buy a new car. To many people don't and to many people just shouldn't be behind the steering wheel of a moving or parked car.
I have received letters to two class action lawsuit's. I never join in because those are set up so the lawyer (s) receives most of the money and in both cases I read the fine print and understood what I was getting into. ( H&R Block rapid refund and local dealerships processing fee)

KGCNC
06-02-2012, 10:19 PM
Jiffy Lube? Not a fat fucking chance in hell Im taking ANYTHING to them. I change my own oil. Normally at 5000 miles. i can fix 99 percent of anything on my vehicles. No asshole gets under my hood.

goinloco1
06-03-2012, 01:20 PM
royal purple also makes great synthetic oils. everything from engine oils to differential oils, as well as filters;
both amzoil and royal purple make great products.
one thing tho, if you have a new car under warranty, change as recommended.
If your vehicle is high mileage and your thinking of changing to full synthetic, you may find the engine suddenly burns oil. usually its due to the slick surface synthetics creat which sometimes dont allow the rings to seat on the cylinder walls due to already loose tolerances.
only thing you can do is try it, if it causes a problem switch back to regular oil.

jamieooh
06-03-2012, 02:07 PM
royal purple also makes great synthetic oils. everything from engine oils to differential oils, as well as filters;
both amzoil and royal purple make great products.
one thing tho, if you have a new car under warranty, change as recommended.
If your vehicle is high mileage and your thinking of changing to full synthetic, you may find the engine suddenly burns oil. usually its due to the slick surface synthetics creat which sometimes dont allow the rings to seat on the cylinder walls due to already loose tolerances.
only thing you can do is try it, if it causes a problem switch back to regular oil.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm wanting to get an older truck.

goinloco1
06-04-2012, 12:35 AM
i switched an old blazer i had over and it started smoking like an sob shortly after. switched back to regular oil and it eventually stopped smoking.
then you have new fords like mine... the recommended change mileage is when the light comes on saying 10% oil life left (we didnt reset for a few changes, ended up being 10k miles 8(