PDA

View Full Version : So, know anything about Africa?

DefensorFortis
05-17-2012, 06:32 PM
Are there any subject matter experts on Africa? I read that a Brigade from 10th Mountain is going to be deployed to support Africa Command. I hope to God it's 2nd Brigade :) So if they say Africa or bust, I want to know a little bit about the region.

MickDonalds
05-17-2012, 07:15 PM
I imagine they'll be headquartered in Djibouti and possibly lending assistance to Uganda. Uganda's been having a hell of a time stabilizing their own country, and they're a major player in the African Union's stabilization attempts in Somalia. Uganda helped us out in a BIG way in Iraq by providing their military personnel as perimeter guards, entry control point sentries and interior security. They weren't "officially" part of the Ugandan military, but they were working for US contractors like Triple Canopy and SOC-D. We do kinda owe them a little something at least. The least we can do is give their troops some fire support and some close-air support.

MickDonalds
05-17-2012, 07:16 PM
This is a good thing, because I want to deploy as soon as I get out of BOLC B. I'm gonna be putting my hand up for a volunteer spot ASAP. Stateside is boring, man.

shatto
05-26-2012, 04:47 AM
Are there any subject matter experts on Africa? I read that a Brigade from 10th Mountain is going to be deployed to support Africa Command. I hope to God it's 2nd Brigade :) So if they say Africa or bust, I want to know a little bit about the region.
Hey! New York! You want to know a bit about the region? How about 'the region' of America?

Got your attention?

Seriously, Africa is larger than North America and similarly, has a vast variance in topography, climate, vegetation animal life and peoples.
If they end up in Djibouti they will be in true desert. Lava fields, sand, dirt sun. Lots of sun. Like Phoenix, after midnight is quite pleasant in the port city with the rail-head that serves Ethiopia.
If they are at the American base in Eritrea, they will be around 7,000 feet up on the Ethiopian plateau. Much of it is like the American high desert.
So we need more detail as to at least which country or part of the continent they will be visiting.

Clodius
05-26-2012, 08:21 AM
I did a couple of tours there back in the late 80's. Tribalism is rampant. They put to use what we throw away. I saw leprosy first hand. Don't eat the food. The scenery is mind blowing. The animals are awesome. You'll appreciate Western society and infrastructure a little more when you come back. They don't like African Americans.

Ripcord
05-26-2012, 03:15 PM
I've been there a few times....... :P

serpa6
05-26-2012, 05:08 PM
Hot dry and lots of flies and no one wears underarm deodorant!!

shatto
05-29-2012, 12:48 PM
I did a couple of tours there back in the late 80's. Tribalism is rampant. They put to use what we throw away. I saw leprosy first hand. Don't eat the food. The scenery is mind blowing. The animals are awesome. You'll appreciate Western society and infrastructure a little more when you come back. They don't like African Americans.
They don't respect American Blacks.
They believe we still have slavery. They see news stories of blacks rioting. They see Jessie and Al and hear our liberals whining about equality....The few who see movies see blacks as criminals and secondary roles.
Our government does not understand that, to most of the rest of the world the Black Sergeant who actually runs things and is where the power is, is looked upon as a gofer, a servant to the officer,
so they continue putting our serviceman in untenable situations by putting them in positions where they are looked down on by the locals.

Right. Definitely don't eat the food. Do like the American who fed the local beef to his dog and only ate American meat.
When the word got out, that sure impressed the locals.
Don't eat the food. Why expose yourself to the culture of another country. Stay on base and count days, hours, minutes and seconds until you can get back to "the world."