PDA

View Full Version : Why I will never go to NYC.

BrendenF11
05-10-2012, 11:49 PM
I am a constitutionalist, my signature says it all. Here is why I will never go to NYC or support any politician, without GREAT other measures, which promotes giving the police, ATF, DEA, etc, which supports any kind of law like this. I have never heard of this law, atleast as far as I can remember, but this seriously irks my twinger.

http://www.silive.com/opinion/danielleddy/index.ssf/2012/05/advance_legal_columnist_the_ny.html

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- The New York City Police Department has been making more arrests and issuing more summonses on Staten Island’s North Shore as a result of individuals being stopped and frisked, an operation that’s drawn sharp criticism from the New York Civil Liberties Union (NYCLU) and a Staten Island City Council member.

The right of police officers to stop and frisk individuals in appropriate circumstances was established by the United States Supreme Court in 1968 in its landmark decision in Terry v. Ohio.

While some civil libertarians still question the soundness of the court’s ruling, as well as its potential for abuse, the decision makes perfect sense when measured against the exigencies faced by police officers on the beat.

View full size
On Oct. 31, 1963, Cleveland Police Officer Martin McFadden saw two men, Richard Chilton and John Terry, take turns walking past a particular store, looking in its window, and returning to a street corner where they conversed with each other. They did this at least 12 times.

McFadden testified that it seemed as if the two men were casing the store to pull a robbery, and that he feared that they had guns. After approaching them in front of the store and identifying himself, he asked for their names.

When they “mumbled something” in response, McFadden grabbed Terry, spun him around, and patted down the outside of his clothing. In the left breast pocket of Terry’s overcoat, he felt what turned out to be a .38 caliber revolver. A similar pat-down of the outside of Chilton’s overcoat revealed yet another revolver.

Both men sought to bar prosecutors from introducing the guns into evidence on the ground that they were the product of illegal searches and seizures.

The Supreme Court, however, held that the weapons were lawfully seized, declaring that even in instances where a police officer lacks probable cause to arrest an individual, “We cannot blind ourselves to the need for law enforcement officers to protect themselves and other prospective victims of violence.”

Therefore, the court continued, “when an officer is justified in believing that the individual whose suspicious behavior he is investigating at close range is armed and presently dangerous,” he may properly “conduct a carefully limited search of the outer clothing of such persons in an attempt to discover weapons which might be used to assault him.”

The Terry decision was written by Chief Justice Earl Warren, a liberal icon, and drew only one dissent.

RACIAL DISPARITIES

Both the NYCLU and Councilwoman Debi Rose, a Democrat who represents Staten Island’s North Shore, are criticizing the NYPD for stopping and frisking a disproportionate number of blacks and Hispanics.

View full size
Last year, 53 percent of those stopped citywide were black, 34 percent were Hispanic, and 9 percent were white.

It is also true, however, that blacks and Hispanics constituted 94 percent of firearms arrestees in 2011. These were individuals from whom at least one firearm was recovered and, as a consequence, faced a dangerous weapon felony charge.

Blacks and Hispanics also constituted 89 percent of those arrested last year citywide for murder and non-negligent manslaughter, 88 percent of those arrested for rape, 81 percent for other felony sex crimes and 91 percent for robbery.

It is, of course, never proper for the police to stop an individual solely because of his race or ethnicity. Which is why the racial disparities in the NYPD’s stop and frisk statistics do raise legitimate questions.

They do not, however, compel the conclusion that city police are wrongfully profiling blacks and Hispanics. Among other plausible explanations is that groups that commit violent felonies in disproportionate numbers do, indeed, act suspiciously in similarly disproportionate numbers.

Ms. Rose also asked some odd questions about those stopped and frisked by the police.

“What are they being arrested for?” she wanted to know. “Are they low-level misdemeanor crimes? Possession of a joint?”

Put aside for a moment the fact that, according to Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly, stops-and-frisks have turned up over 8,000 weapons, including 819 guns citywide.

If Ms. Rose is suggesting that police ought to walk away from any criminal activity, she needs a reality check.

Her district has by far the highest crime rate on Staten Island. Besides the fact that most criminals cut their teeth on petty crimes, the last thing the career predators need to hear is that anything less than a felony is a free ride.

Ms. Rose’s questions are also irrelevant. The operative factor in stop-and-frisk cases is whether police reasonably believe that the individual is armed and dangerous, not the level of crime that he may or may not be committing.

Also, while she claims that many of her constituents strongly oppose the NYPD’s stop-and-frisk policies, the likelihood is that many more support it, even if they are reluctant to do so vocally.

Law-abiding people do not want to cede their communities to criminals.

Stop-and-frisk operations afford police officers meaningful protection while allowing them to do their jobs.

Neither the NYCLU nor Councilwoman Rose has produced any solid reason for the NYPD to curtail their use in its stepped-up initiative against criminal wrongdoing.

Daniel Leddy’s column appears each Tuesday on the Advance Editorial Page. His e-mail address is JudgeLeddy@si.rr.com.

I think that the racial issue is BS but it would make sense.

serpa6
05-11-2012, 12:12 AM
I fully agree with you Brenden The racial profiling is an issue but the stats show the facts of what is recovered in NY but that is NY and who knows even if the stats are bumped up If there is sufficient cause to stop someone like what happen to the 2 guys walking back and forth looking in the store that was a give me to the officers Maybe not to be frisked but enough to question them and tell them to move along On the other hand if the officer did not frisk them He probably would have been another officer who had given his life in the line of duty The law sucks it violates every right we have But just think especially in New york its such a diversified city that more then 9/11 could happen Although it could happen any where in our country One other question did they get those stats about who they stopped and wrote down the race they where stopping to search or did they take them stats in what they recovered ???

Clodius
05-11-2012, 12:50 AM
NYC is one of the safest large metropolitan areas in the world thanks to aggressive policing, I lived there for 16 years. When I first moved there in 91 it was the wild fucking west, not as bad as it was in the 70's and 80's but it was a shit hole none the less. That area of SI is a shit hole of biblical proportions and when it tended to get so bad that school children couldn't go to school without being harassed by douchebags then yes, the fucking cops are going to come in and clean house. I mean Warsaw Ghetto style mass arrests and street sweeps. All power to em. The style of policing is called Broken Windows. It works.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_Windows

veritas44
05-11-2012, 12:55 AM
Brenden

you have to put this in context...I know it sounds like your being violated but actually this law gave citizens more right not less. Before this supreme court ruling in 68 every stop a cop made was considered an arrest and when you are under arrest it gives cops wide latitude as to what they can search you for.
this supreme court ruling actually put a hold on what cops can actually search your body for. since this was passed cops can only do a cursory search of your person for WEAPONS nothing else.
you would actually be surprised at how well off we have it now as apposed to back then and when I say back then I'm not even talking that long ago...before Tennessee VS garner in 1985 if you had committed a felony or where even suspected of committing a felony and the police said stop and you ran they could shot your ass, you didn't have to be a threat or anything like.
I'm not shitting you I read an arrest ticket one time that said " Saw defendant standing on corner arrested same ". He didn't do anything the cop just didn't like him standing on the corner(loitering) so he arrested him.
If the police could actually do what the police did before 1985 this country would actually be a totally different place.

shatto
05-26-2012, 04:54 AM
Let us not forget the reason for 'police tactics' is that New York City is still probably the worlds biggest target.

Clodius
05-26-2012, 08:13 AM
Let us not forget the reason for 'police tactics' is that New York City is still probably the worlds biggest target.
Perhaps. But that is aside from Broken Windows and aggressive policing.

MickDonalds
05-26-2012, 04:44 PM
I won't go back to "Noo Yawk" because it's a liberal stronghold where they dislike "my kind."

No thanks, I'll stay in my "backwater" state where the Entertainment community wants to nothing to do with.

Pittsburgh
06-02-2012, 09:14 PM
Speaking of NYC...

There is no better example of a government busybody than the idiot who has been mayor or New York City for way too long. Bloomberg is pushing a law that would make it illegal to sell large sugary drinks in New York beginning in March. This is all part of the anti-obesity campaign. He says that obesity is a problem and he says he’s doing what the people want their mayor to do. Question, do you think he’d be willing to prove that with a referendum? Another question, what about beer, liquor, milkshakes and candy stores?

Here’s what I would ask the mayor if I were at the press conference when this stupid law was introduced:

“Mr. Mayor, if you’re really concerned about all the big bellies that you see in the city, why wouldn’t you outlaw the sale of beer?”

Call me crazy but I think that beer might be contributing to some of those beer bellies. I don’t know about you, but, I’ve noticed that, when people drink beer, they also tend to eat lots of wings, potato chips, pizza and nachos. How much skinnier would people be a year from today if tomorrow the federal government outlawed the sale of pizza and beer?

How do people like this get elected?

A bigger question: How the hell do they get re-elected?

Please, don't me wrong. Unlike these control freaks (starting with Michelle Obama and her little food crusade), I'm not calling for a ban on beer, liquor, pizza, milkshakes and candy stores. The complete opposite. How about leaving it up to grown adults to make their own decisions? This is a free country, right? At least before 2008 it was a free country. If I want to chug a pepsi the size of my skull and consume an entire pizza, shouldn't I have the right to do so? What ever happened to personal responsibility?

At the end of the day, doesn't Bloomberg and this "administration" have bigger worries?